Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flanker

The problem for Ahoghill is controlling who their kids play for and how they are going to build a loyalty for the club.

With the breakup of SS, Ahoghill kids can now play for; M'glass, Tir na Nog, Ballymena, Portglenone, Greenlough, Lavey, Cargin, Creggan.  If this happens, what affiliation will they have with Ahoghill after underage, there will be a greater threat of them remaining with the club they played underage with.

Great example, wasn't Rafferty who played with Lavey, (in an All Ireland club final) an Ahoghill lad who played underage with Lavey and stayed with them up into senior football?
[/quote]
Kickham he didn't play juvenile for Lavey. He played for SS (early days). He actually played a bit of Senior for Ahoghill. If memory serves me right he played in a junior final for them against PG1   (could be wrong on this). He joined Lavey as a Senior

Makes the split seem all the stranger as when SS got their act together and dominated SW juvenile football both teams moved up the ranks from Junior. Both Div 1 and playing Senior football. The rise back boned by players from successful SS underage teams.

Not sure if PG1 have the numbers to get into SW A leagues on a regular basis

Not easy to develop Div 1 players / Senior Championship players from SW B juvenile leagues

imtommygunn

Is there such a thing as sw b juvenile leagues? there's a shield... Do some leagues split?

Portglenone would generally have as big a pick as a lot of other clubs in the sw would they not? Ahoghill wouldn't mind you. Ahoghill are very much backboned by a few families. I think it is similar for other small country clubs mind... Revolves round a few families so the fortunes of the senior team depends on where those families are agewise.

Flanker

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 14, 2017, 07:03:31 PM
Is there such a thing as sw b juvenile leagues? there's a shield... Do some leagues split?

Portglenone would generally have as big a pick as a lot of other clubs in the sw would they not? Ahoghill wouldn't mind you. Ahoghill are very much backboned by a few families. I think it is similar for other small country clubs mind... Revolves round a few families so the fortunes of the senior team depends on where those families are agewise.
They run an u13 competition to grade for u14 leagues splits into A ( 8 teams) B (7 teams)

Would think PG1 would probably feature on average between 6 and 10th place in the pecking order which would probably mean roughly 50% of your teams in B league. 

Would say there is a reasonable correlation between teams consistently in A league and those playing Senior Championship / Div 1.

The standard in B league juvenile is pretty low with the bottom 2-3 teams usually struggling to field as the season progresses.

Hard place to develop senior talent from imo

imtommygunn

I guess it is hard to say as relatively new.

I would say though if you were to list the ten you would have as good a pick as a number of them so if that is the reason for combining plenty of others could argue the same!

Spike

I personally think it could be a  struggle for ahoghill going forward and portglenone to a lesser extent. success breeds success and no coincidence both clubs improved as their underage improved.  the sean stinsons era was usually dominated by portglenone players and a handful of the best of ahoghill. Perhaps there was an identity issue with portglenone as they couldn't really say 'the club' won a championship so have broke out on their own.  will Div b bring either of these clubs on? I doubt it but can understand how to have real pride in your club it has to be your own and not an amalgamation.

bannside

FQs motives will be explained at CC where your club delegates will have an opportunity to debate. In the meantime all club have received a communication asking them for their opinion.

Is this not how the democratic process works? Also, can't see how this recommendation would increase revenue, if as you say it's all about the money.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: bannside on December 16, 2017, 10:54:54 AM
FQs motives will be explained at CC where your club delegates will have an opportunity to debate. In the meantime all club have received a communication asking them for their opinion.

Is this not how the democratic process works? Also, can't see how this recommendation would increase revenue, if as you say it's all about the money.
Clubs got an email on 15th Dec and asked for their opinion by 29th Dec - this is a major issue and this is really poor way to go about it. Also it wasn't mentioned at at convention

surely at this stage when many clubs have made their plans for 2018 on existing structures we should stay as is for 2018 and set up a working group to produce a detailed report on the changes and how they will improve antrim and if passed give the clubs more notice like in Sept of the year before changes take place....

bannside

Would make sense to fall into line with national age groups but as you say, why such short notice.

Milltown Row2

Just back from a couple of minor games at the under 18 Ulster championship ( will that change age groups then?)

Enniskillen Gaels were impressive and Letterkenny edged out the Armagh winners in extra time

St. Paul's run a tight ship with this competition, well done
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: bannside on December 16, 2017, 03:18:52 PM
Would make sense to fall into line with national age groups but as you say, why such short notice.
it is only national age groups at county level and that was leaving cert driven
Dublin clubs voted last year , after an extensive consultation, to stay at u18 at club level
This is too big an issue to rush and we are not ready in 2018 for this
What would senior managers make of a u20 league?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: referee on December 16, 2017, 04:45:53 PM
Bannside Would the county not lift gate receipts from championship,and any lad who is fit to play u19/20 should be fit to play res/Sen

Sure they end up paying more expenses for referees for those games, so lose out surely
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Good points. I haven't given this any thought and don't have a position on it. Just curious to know how it could be made out that the county would make more money with a new format.
Senior managers wont prefer an under 20 league and championship in 2019 that's for sure. Too big an overlap of players on both panels.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 16, 2017, 03:46:14 PM
Just back from a couple of minor games at the under 18 Ulster championship ( will that change age groups then?)

Enniskillen Gaels were impressive and Letterkenny edged out the Armagh winners in extra time

St. Paul's run a tight ship with this competition, well done

Great tournament. Hopefully remains as under 18. Think it has to.

Who do rossa play?

bannside

I see in Martin Brehenys annual ratings Antrim are 27th for 2017. Fitzy and Adams must be disappointed in this, and Lennys challenge at the end of his tenure must be to see if he can get us out of the twenty somethings. Hopefully he can, someone needs to drive us out of this mediocrity.

cca

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 13, 2017, 07:37:58 PM
Yeah i remember your 4 in a row well. A few very good prospects never made it through to senior but always the way.

I see your point about the never playing for casements thing.

Sean Stinsons was formed in 1979