Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In hiding

Quote from: Angelo on June 18, 2019, 09:35:26 AM
Quote from: In hiding on June 18, 2019, 12:07:31 AM
Quote from: Angelo on June 17, 2019, 08:00:53 PM
I don't really have time for lads quitting panels in the middle of the season, fair enough if there's personal circumstances there but if it's throwing a strop over not getting minutes then it's very hard to forgive.
You don't have any time for lads quitting panels mid season and you find it hard to forgive them !!!
Wtf.

Is it because you have invested so much time into supporting them.

Crazy stuff

It's a commitment and they've backed out of it in the middle of the season. It's not fair on the management team and it's not fair on their team mates. If they do it for personal reasons outside of football, it is understandable - if they do it because they're throwing a strop about not getting the minutes they feel they deserve then I think we are better off without.

I don't think Lee Brennan has done enough to start for Tyrone and he clearly didn't have the will to battle it out and earn his spot. Let's not forget that 10 months ago he started an All Ireland semi final.

If Brennan had opted out at the start of the year it would have opened up the door for another player to come in and fight for a place. I certainly wouldn't be rushing back to bring him in when he has left his team in the lurch midway through the season.

I'd be questioning the mentality of a lot of these Tyrone footballer - how many Mayo, Dublin and Kerry players drop off because they are not getting their place? There seems to be a huge sense of entitlement there with current players who are unwilling to put in the work.

Guys like Hsmpsey, Cassidy, Burns and R Donnelly have had to bide their time to break into the Tyrone side but the patience and hard work paid off in the end.

As a supporter it shows an incredible sense of entitlement that we cannot forgive a player who decides he has a better way of spending at least 25 hours a week than living the life of a super fit monk.
It is fine for management and team mates to be disappointed but for the likes of me and you to be critical of them is arrogant imo.

Unless of course you are more than just a supporter,...

Angelo

Quote from: In hiding on June 18, 2019, 09:52:07 AM
I don't really have time for lads quitting panels in the middle of the season, fair enough if there's personal circumstances there but if it's throwing a strop over not getting minutes then it's very hard to forgive.
You don't have any time for lads quitting panels mid season and you find it hard to forgive them !!!
Wtf.

Crazy stuff

It's a commitment and they've backed out of it in the middle of the season. It's not fair on the management team and it's not fair on their team mates. If they do it for personal reasons outside of football, it is understandable - if they do it because they're throwing a strop about not getting the minutes they feel they deserve then I think we are better off without.

I don't think Lee Brennan has done enough to start for Tyrone and he clearly didn't have the will to battle it out and earn his spot. Let's not forget that 10 months ago he started an All Ireland semi final.

If Brennan had opted out at the start of the year it would have opened up the door for another player to come in and fight for a place. I certainly wouldn't be rushing back to bring him in when he has left his team in the lurch midway through the season.

I'd be questioning the mentality of a lot of these Tyrone footballer - how many Mayo, Dublin and Kerry players drop off because they are not getting their place? There seems to be a huge sense of entitlement there with current players who are unwilling to put in the work.

Guys like Hsmpsey, Cassidy, Burns and R Donnelly have had to bide their time to break into the Tyrone side but the patience and hard work paid off in the end.

As a supporter it shows an incredible sense of entitlement that we cannot forgive a player who decides he has a better way of spending at least 25 hours a week than living the life of a super fit monk.
It is fine for management and team mates to be disappointed but for the likes of me and you to be critical of them is arrogant imo.

It's their choice but at the start of year you make a commitment to the panel, walking out halfway through the year in a strop over playing time is petulant. I support the team and I think Brennan has let the team down in that regard.

Mugsy had a pop at him recently over it too. I think it's an attitude that would not be tolerated in the likes of Dublin, Kerry or Mayo at the minute.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Angelo on June 18, 2019, 09:57:03 AM
Wtf.

Crazy stuff

It's their choice but at the start of year you make a commitment to the panel, walking out halfway through the year in a strop over playing time is petulant. I support the team and I think Brennan has let the team down in that regard.

Mugsy had a pop at him recently over it too. I think it's an attitude that would not be tolerated in the likes of Dublin, Kerry or Mayo at the minute.

Kerry might have dropped the ball actually on Cox with regards to something like this - I don't know the ins and outs, he's family in Roscommon but as far as I know he plays club football in Kerry still.

It does happen.

Few of the Dublin guys have dropped off to go to the states in recent years - winning all round you will make that non news though. They've even managed to somehow navigate the whole Diarmuid Connolly thing relatively scandal free.

TabClear

Quote from: southtyronegael on June 18, 2019, 09:29:19 AM
Quote from: TabClear on June 18, 2019, 09:19:52 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 18, 2019, 08:21:48 AM
Agreed as amateur players it's totally there choice whether to pull out or not. Though if you were the manager and boys pulled out in the middle of the championship you'd be questioning whether to pick them again going forward.

Tyrone are a county that generally play numerous championship games and with injuries/form a lot of changes be made over the summer and someone not getting game time early on can easily force their way onto the team later in the year as has been shown in the past. You'd think after doing all the hard work from last November boys would stick at it for the championship.

Totally agree but that's a separate issue in my book to what the original comment was. That's the managers call and they have to assess whether the reasons for the initial withdrawal have been addressed or if its likely to re-occur.
if boys are leaving, maybe the manager should question himself and not the player?

Manager could potentially be one reason. Much more likely would be work/family commitments, studying, travelling, club committments, fitness/burnout/ injury etc. I suspect none of those reasons would fit your agenda as well though

Angelo

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on June 18, 2019, 10:18:01 AM
Quote from: Angelo on June 18, 2019, 09:57:03 AM
Wtf.

Crazy stuff

Kerry might have dropped the ball actually on Cox with regards to something like this - I don't know the ins and outs, he's family in Roscommon but as far as I know he plays club football in Kerry still.

It does happen.

Few of the Dublin guys have dropped off to go to the states in recent years - winning all round you will make that non news though. They've even managed to somehow navigate the whole Diarmuid Connolly thing relatively scandal free.

What Dublin, Mayo or Kerry players who started All Ireland semi finals the preceding season have dropped off the panel midway through the next season due to losing their place?

We all know the media are petrified to go against Jim Gavin. I don't think he has managed it all that well, there is a big financially backed PR machine around Dublin.

tyrone08

I would probably see it from the players point of view. How is sitting on the bench going to improve you as a player when you cant get on for your county and you are not allowed to play for your club.

Forwards especially strive on confidence, but bringing on a forward at say the 50 minute mark who hasn't played much football all season and expecting him to turn the game around is naive at best. Why would a talented player like Lee waste a full year to sit on the tyrone bench when he could be playing for his club every week and getting sharper with each game.

The issue is that Mickey has chopped and changed and neglected the forwards for far too long. Wouldn't listen to Owen talking about staying to fight for a place when him Peter and Steve were guaranteed game time every game. Tyrone need to pick a system and stick with it so players know where they stand.

This does not happen in Mayo, Kerry or Dublin for the simple reason these teams know their system of play inside out and players know they will get a chance. Whereas in Tyrone a forward does not know if they will be playing attacking football one week or 15 men behind the ball the next.

Angelo

Quote from: tyrone08 on June 18, 2019, 10:25:36 AM
I would probably see it from the players point of view. How is sitting on the bench going to improve you as a player when you cant get on for your county and you are not allowed to play for your club.

Forwards especially strive on confidence, but bringing on a forward at say the 50 minute mark who hasn't played much football all season and expecting him to turn the game around is naive at best. Why would a talented player like Lee waste a full year to sit on the tyrone bench when he could be playing for his club every week and getting sharper with each game.

The issue is that Mickey has chopped and changed and neglected the forwards for far too long. Wouldn't listen to Owen talking about staying to fight for a place when him Peter and Steve were guaranteed game time every game. Tyrone need to pick a system and stick with it so players know where they stand.

This does not happen in Mayo, Kerry or Dublin for the simple reason these teams know their system of play inside out and players know they will get a chance. Whereas in Tyrone a forward does not know if they will be playing attacking football one week or 15 men behind the ball the next.

Tell me why Brennan should be starting? We went in to the Donegal game on an impressive run of form. We had won six on the trot over League and Championship. Donnelly and McShane were flying inside and McCurry and McAliskey had impressed off the bench.

He had no real basis for deserving to play. He had the choice to stick it out, bide his time and take his opportunity when it came or throw the towel in. He chose the latter.

After a car crash performance against Donegal there is certain to be changes against Longford and opportunities can arise but he is no longer there to avail of those, by his own choosing.

I can understand his frustration at not playing but that's a decision for next year. He made s commitment to the panel this year and opted out.

I'd like a situation whereby players who aren't getting their minutes with the county teams are freed to play for their clubs but we all know it's the clubs who make a song and dance about access who will kick up a fuss about that.

In hiding

Quote from: Angelo on June 18, 2019, 10:33:48 AM

Tell me why Brennan should be starting? We went in to the Donegal game on an impressive run of form. We had won six on the trot over League and Championship. Donnelly and McShane were flying inside and McCurry and McAliskey had impressed off the bench.

He had no real basis for deserving to play. He had the choice to stick it out, bide his time and take his opportunity when it came or throw the towel in. He chose the latter.

After a car crash performance against Donegal there is certain to be changes against Longford and opportunities can arise but he is no longer there to avail of those, by his own choosing.

I can understand his frustration at not playing but that's a decision for next year. He made s commitment to the panel this year and opted out.

I'd like a situation whereby players who aren't getting their minutes with the county teams are freed to play for their clubs but we all know it's the clubs who make a song and dance about access who will kick up a fuss about that.

So according to you..

Its the players fault for not committing all their spare time for your pleasure

It's the clubs fault for wanting access to their players who aren't getting on the county team.

I'm sure you will post a reply to this which will have no relevance to what I have just posted

Redhand Santa

Brennan did really well coming of the bench against Donegal last year under similar circumstances. He will get some extra game time over the summer with his club but a lot of weeks there won't be any games.

You still play 2/3's of the league games plus playoffs plus championship while on the county panel so its not like you get no club football. And he did get game time for Tyrone early in the year and would no doubt have got more over the summer. Training games and skills work would also be a level well above club training over the summer which can be fragmented with breaks and holidays.

tyrone08

I dont think Lee should start every game but he should have been given a run out towards  the end of a few games to get a chance of showing his worth. The Antrim game was the perfect opportunity to give a few players a run out.

Tell me this would you train 4 nights a week in all sorts of weather, give up your free time, not able to go on holidays or to drink for most of the year to sit on a bench and watch your team mates play?

Angelo

Quote from: In hiding on June 18, 2019, 10:43:18 AM

So according to you..

Its the players fault for not committing all their spare time for your pleasure

It's the clubs fault for wanting access to their players who aren't getting on the county team.

I'm sure you will post a reply to this which will have no relevance to what I have just posted

You're not bright so it's understandable you can't get it.

Brennan can do what he wants but he made a commitment by joining up with the panel this year. He left the team in a lurch because he wasn't getting the minutes he felt he deserved.

I'd be happy if our fringe players who could keep sharp by playing with their clubs but it's not going to happen. The clubs will object to Lee Brennan being allowed play while their own club players can't. We're veering into very dangerous circumstances in Tyrone right now and risk becoming the new Derry.

It's got nothing to do with me. If Lee Brennan decides that he doesn't want to commit, that is his choice. I have no qualms if he can't give the commitment but it seems that it's more having to earn his place that has driven him out. The time to decide was at the start of the year or at the end.

If everyone had the attitude of Brennan we wouldn't have a squad.

Angelo

Quote from: tyrone08 on June 18, 2019, 11:22:27 AM

I dont think Lee should start every game but he should have been given a run out towards  the end of a few games to get a chance of showing his worth. The Antrim game was the perfect opportunity to give a few players a run out.

Tell me this would you train 4 nights a week in all sorts of weather, give up your free time, not able to go on holidays or to drink for most of the year to sit on a bench and watch your team mates play?

You can only make 6 subs. Brennan quit the panel before the Antrim game so it's pointless saying that was an opportunity. In the Derry game, Coney, McAliskey and McCurry got the chance. It's impossible to keep everyone happy but there seems to be a lot of egos around the Tyrone setup at the minute which isn't good.

GaaFanatic123

Wtf.

Crazy stuff

Yeah it paid off for Cassidy sitting on the bench for the Donegal game after doing enuf to start

Angelo

Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on June 18, 2019, 11:33:20 AM
Wtf.

Crazy stuff

Yeah it paid off for Cassidy sitting on the bench for the Donegal game after doing enuf to start

It paid off for Cassidy as he has broken into the team. Harte got a number of calls badly wrong against Donegal but Cassidy is seeing plenty of minutes now and that's down to his patience and hard work.

southtyronegael

Now that IL bomber destro is back as Angelo, the big question remains, where the f**k is thebigdog?