Strategic Review of Gaelic Games in Laois 2017

Started by redsetanta, July 07, 2017, 12:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

Quote from: INTJ on January 07, 2018, 09:07:51 PM
With the strategic review coming out tomorrow I'd like to know what changes people hope will be in it.
I myself would like to see a move towards a long term professional set up that incorporates all players from the u13/14 up. My reasoning behind this would be that once a child is brought into the county set up there should be a clear line of progression, including expectations,  attitudes and outcomes with the senior teams being "professionals role models" in the same way of the first team premiership club.
To start with I'd invest heavily with a "laois player" app. This would be download able under licence by all players with coaded usernames for better personal protection.  Along with this each player would receive a performance tracker vest top "sports bra." With all players having to wear it to track activity for county, club, school etc and aduring all sport activities afterwards it bluetooth syncs to the players phone and app. if they play rugby/soccer etc with the consent of that coach. This is overall just to protect against over training etc. 
The app itself would allow for a better understanding of what your players and doing and how they are reacting to training. It will also allow coaches to send training material directly to their teams rather than waste training time on tactical talks the players can arrive to training with the training session tactics already known.
Along with the app I'd hire a full time nutritionist, exercise physiologist, S&C coach and video alalyst.  These people would be available to all Laois teams. Prior to training individuals would open their app see their coachs input and highlights from the previous games ex: possession turnover short 3min video on the turnovers etc followed by 2 min of coach instructions on how the session is going to be run etc. Players turn up switched on. Along with this the coach can give individuals highlights to them directly and what they are to work on themselves.
The APP+tracker would also allow for direct following of the S&C program and how they are responding to it. As for the s&c it should be conducted along the lines russian liner periodisation along the lines of Zerhoshansky, Zatziorsky, Siff and Simmons. This will instill a constant winning/achieving attitude from an early age on. Weight training should begin with the youngest teams and be a constant progression.
Going back to the club's I'd like to see how the underage structures are within each club. Again clubs could be given acess to the app with training games, structures training etc all there for them. I personally would like to see training sessions from u8 up be run with lots of 1v1, 2v2 skills based training games I think for skills development and overall talent.

Laois Gaa is an amateur organisation....the above bollix about under14s doing programmed strength and conditioning is what will ruin the sport....most kids, especially under 14s and 16s should be allowed to express their natural talent, instead of being put into a robotic system.....Beano McDonald was a brilliant minor due to sublime skills not being a bulked up teenager...............all the above apps and tracker stuff is fine if you are  a professional member of a leinster rugby or munster rugby squad......please tell me what happens if you follow the above mantra and still get hammered by 15 to 20 points in your key championship game..what then?

Helix

Quote from: oneflewoverthecuckoonest on January 07, 2018, 11:40:46 PM
Quote from: INTJ on January 07, 2018, 09:07:51 PM
With the strategic review coming out tomorrow I'd like to know what changes people hope will be in it.
I myself would like to see a move towards a long term professional set up that incorporates all players from the u13/14 up. My reasoning behind this would be that once a child is brought into the county set up there should be a clear line of progression, including expectations,  attitudes and outcomes with the senior teams being "professionals role models" in the same way of the first team premiership club.
To start with I'd invest heavily with a "laois player" app. This would be download able under licence by all players with coaded usernames for better personal protection.  Along with this each player would receive a performance tracker vest top "sports bra." With all players having to wear it to track activity for county, club, school etc and aduring all sport activities afterwards it bluetooth syncs to the players phone and app. if they play rugby/soccer etc with the consent of that coach. This is overall just to protect against over training etc. 
The app itself would allow for a better understanding of what your players and doing and how they are reacting to training. It will also allow coaches to send training material directly to their teams rather than waste training time on tactical talks the players can arrive to training with the training session tactics already known.
Along with the app I'd hire a full time nutritionist, exercise physiologist, S&C coach and video alalyst.  These people would be available to all Laois teams. Prior to training individuals would open their app see their coachs input and highlights from the previous games ex: possession turnover short 3min video on the turnovers etc followed by 2 min of coach instructions on how the session is going to be run etc. Players turn up switched on. Along with this the coach can give individuals highlights to them directly and what they are to work on themselves.
The APP+tracker would also allow for direct following of the S&C program and how they are responding to it. As for the s&c it should be conducted along the lines russian liner periodisation along the lines of Zerhoshansky, Zatziorsky, Siff and Simmons. This will instill a constant winning/achieving attitude from an early age on. Weight training should begin with the youngest teams and be a constant progression.
Going back to the club's I'd like to see how the underage structures are within each club. Again clubs could be given acess to the app with training games, structures training etc all there for them. I personally would like to see training sessions from u8 up be run with lots of 1v1, 2v2 skills based training games I think for skills development and overall talent.

Laois Gaa is an amateur organisation....the above bollix about under14s doing programmed strength and conditioning is what will ruin the sport....most kids, especially under 14s and 16s should be allowed to express their natural talent, instead of being put into a robotic system.....Beano McDonald was a brilliant minor due to sublime skills not being a bulked up teenager...............all the above apps and tracker stuff is fine if you are  a professional member of a leinster rugby or munster rugby squad......please tell me what happens if you follow the above mantra and still get hammered by 15 to 20 points in your key championship game..what then?

Let's get the fundamentals right before we go go investing in apps. Get kids from a young age kicking off their 2 feet would be a start. We're not rearing robots either!
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

clonadmad

Anyone with a modicum of cop on would know that "weight training for the youngest teams" would be disastrous,stick to Rugby son

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on January 08, 2018, 02:26:35 PM
Anyone with a modicum of cop on would know that "weight training for the youngest teams" would be disastrous,stick to Rugby son
If we dont have our U8's lifting weights, then we're already on the back foot.

merman

I'd imagine anything in this report would be more general than going into the minutiae of Development Squad trainings.

I'd be disappointed if the following weren't included;
1. Need for concise and unambiguous transfer rules, especially with regards to Portlaoise and neighbouring clubs.
2. Clarity re Gaels Teams at underage and adult grades. Should there be more foresight as to how underage teams are allowed join up rather than an ad hoc, year-by-year arrangement?
3. The malaise with regard to the County Board. Term limits are fine; maybe there should be a limit on how many consecutive terms can be allowed.
4. Player progression from U13>U17>Senior. A proper framework for skill and physical development.
5. Clarifying of the responsibilities expected of our GDAs. Improved oversight to ensure that such responsibilities are met.

These are some ideas that I know were submitted through the club meetings.
I would presume the Report will go online tonight?

The PRO

Quote from: merman on January 08, 2018, 04:47:55 PM
I would presume the Report will go online tonight?
You are an optimistic man (or woman)😀

clonadmad

2nd club for Portlaoise,headline recommendation

Helix

Quote from: clonadmad on January 08, 2018, 07:03:45 PM
2nd club for Portlaoise,headline recommendation

Base it out of Portlaoise college would probably be the best option there. Might get more input in knockmay and potentially fairgreen areas. Would need considerable input from county board to avoid an attempt done on Kilminchy in the 2000s. Interesting read nonetheless. Im sure there's more to scrutinise in it!
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

clonadmad

Based on the questionnaire as many as 10 clubs could go out of existence in the next 10 years

Mad Mentor

I would imagine it will be very difficult to establish a second club in Portlaoise or anywhere for that matter. Pretty much anyone who has an interest in helping to run a club is probably already doing so. It's hard enough to get people involved in a club they have a history with, never mind taking on the huge task of establishing a new one. I for one could not see myself leaving my own club to start what would in effect be a rival club. If the Arles divide had happened in Portlaoise, it may have led to a second club that worked, but it is hardly the best way to go about it. If there were enough people from elsewhere, living in Portlaoise, with the experience and will to set up a second club it would still be a monumental task. Trying to set boundaries and catchment areas alone would wreck your head. From my experience coming up against Portlaoise in underage hurling, they are tight enough on numbers as it is. I brought twenty eight u8s to play Portlaoise a few years ago to be faced with seven of them.

As regards strength and conditioning for development squads, this has already started for all down to u13 which is a very welcome development. Peter Hally and Andrew Kavanagh have also run workshops for clubs to introduce this at club level.

INTJ

Clonadmad... first of all iv never even been to a rugby game so stick to not making judgement son.. my background is in soccer, cycling, triathlon and gaa in that order. Working with underage development squads in Ireland,  Belgium, Australia along with working with senior intercounty hurling teams including Kilkenny, waterford, Dublin and Offaly and the last cyclist I worked with won the An-Post RAS while I was his acting physiologist.. so I'm glad I don't have a "modicum of cop on" perhaps I should stand on a side line and shout things like "run faster" "hit him for f sake" or my favourite "of course we should start him, his father was a great footballer and I'm sure it's in him too".
@HELIX if we get bet by 15-20 points? I don't know but can't be worse than going out to a bad tipperary team, clare,  Longford,  Antrim? Seems like changing nothing has worked for us so far doesn't it? It's childish thinking the sport is still amateur having worked with KK almost a decade ago they are already doing more then what I mentioned below. I got the chance to see Dublin u14 data while they were playing our lads a couple years ago and they are 10 years of what I'm talking about. Laois during the "golden era" had the best conveyor of natural talent in ireland and only 1 leinster to show? That my friend is bollox!!

Strength and conditioning'aphobes are quick to blaspheme when they know little about it. I didn't know it had started already at u13 and I'm glad they have implemented it. Lads have to stop thinking od s&c as making kids big. Anyone with a "modicum" of knowledge knows that correct programming is put is place to teach kids how to lift weights when they get to u20. It's flexibility, technique, quickness and most MOST importantly the training of propioceptive neuromuscular pathways (nervous system) and getting all systems to work together. On the O byrne thread lads our giving out that the new players are to light! Those lads will now be thrown into a S&C program to bulk up. It's like putting a turbo into a 1998 fiat chichento and expecting it to do 100mph every day until September. Something will give!! Imagine wiring your house with the cables for a car headlights! Sure electricity will run down it but it won't power your kettle for long. Correct S&C training with "the youngest squads" will increase ligament and tendon strength  (less injuries), increase bone density (less breaks, osteoporosis, stronger anchor points for muscles), increase neural pathways (quicker, faster and greater foundation for strength), metabolic efficiency (heart ,lungs, skin, lymph, endocrine, muscular, calcium-ptassium shuttle system, lactate system and Krebs cycle) all working in perfect harmony together.

I'm not talking about making robots. I'm saying we should get the most talented kids we have in the county and give them the best information possible including, health, flexibility and tactical awareNess to better prepare them and to be in a position of readiness for when they get called up to the senior intercounty teams.
To put it into perspective around 90% of all international soccer players are brought to an academy between 9-14 and trained in this manner. Would we call them unskillful? Ronaldo is 6'2 and around 13 stone which is the average gaa midfielder. He is built like a tank and the most skillful player in the world.

Finally Don Draper. I actually have no idea where one would start with an app like that but I can't imagine it would be to hard. The underarmour one is free and does most of what I said. My fitness pal is also a group of apps that cover most of what I said. Can't imagine it would be to hard.

portlaoisekid

Quote from: Mad Mentor on January 08, 2018, 09:21:28 PM
I would imagine it will be very difficult to establish a second club in Portlaoise or anywhere for that matter. Pretty much anyone who has an interest in helping to run a club is probably already doing so. It's hard enough to get people involved in a club they have a history with, never mind taking on the huge task of establishing a new one. I for one could not see myself leaving my own club to start what would in effect be a rival club. If the Arles divide had happened in Portlaoise, it may have led to a second club that worked, but it is hardly the best way to go about it. If there were enough people from elsewhere, living in Portlaoise, with the experience and will to set up a second club it would still be a monumental task. Trying to set boundaries and catchment areas alone would wreck your head. From my experience coming up against Portlaoise in underage hurling, they are tight enough on numbers as it is. I brought twenty eight u8s to play Portlaoise a few years ago to be faced with seven of them.

As regards strength and conditioning for development squads, this has already started for all down to u13 which is a very welcome development. Peter Hally and Andrew Kavanagh have also run workshops for clubs to introduce this at club level.
I couldn't agree more.  I can see why the county board want to tap into the population of Portlaoise but the reality is that the opportunity is there for everyone in town to play GAA if they want. As a Portlaoise man I'm 100% sure that anyone who wants to play GAA in town gets the opportunity. Obviously there is always more can be done but the kids in Portlaoise have as much if not more interest in soccer and rugby than GAA.

merman

I think it is a commendable notion as there is a significant chunk of Portlaoise town that are, through little fault of the club, not engaging with Gaelic Games. A nursery club with a strong link with Knockmay Primary School that feeds into Portlaoise GAA at U13 level could be a positive for Portlaoise club and the town as a whole.

I do, however, feel that this proposal doesn't serve the overall report well. The report looks very thorough and there are a number of excellent recommendations that need to be acted upon. I hope they don't get suffocated with too much focus on what is a very divisive and complex issue.

The appointment of a Games Manager is badly needed. Securing support from Leinster GAA and the incoming GAA president is a real plus.

Dividing the GDAs regionally should lead to more accountability. Clubs and schools won't sit back and accept huge disparities between the work provided.

Don Draper

Quote from: portlaoisekid on January 09, 2018, 08:44:07 AM
Quote from: Mad Mentor on January 08, 2018, 09:21:28 PM

I couldn't agree more.  I can see why the county board want to tap into the population of Portlaoise but the reality is that the opportunity is there for everyone in town to play GAA if they want. As a Portlaoise man I'm 100% sure that anyone who wants to play GAA in town gets the opportunity. Obviously there is always more can be done but the kids in Portlaoise have as much if not more interest in soccer and rugby than GAA.
Agreed. And GAA people in Laois would be happy enough if Portlaoise concentrated on those players instead of taking neighbouring clubs ones.