All Ireland contenders...

Started by EC Unique, March 25, 2012, 01:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidney

As a Dub I'd almost prefer to see us fail to qualify for the League semi-finals as I think the last thing the players need now is a semi-final against Kerry where they could well get a trimming based on current form. They're better off with some breathing space between now and the championship. If Dublin are to have a real chance of retaining Sam I think gaining through the back door would be the best route. It'll certainly have to be done a different way to last year when they built right from the start of the league. There's a lot of tired players there and I have to question whether the same motivation will be there this year when it comes down to it. The back door will give them the best chance to peak when it matters but I can just as easily see a quarter-final exit in a similar manner to Cork last year.

It's a very open All-Ireland this year. At the moment I'd say there's six front runners, in no particular order, namely Cork, Kerry, Dublin, Tyrone, Kildare and Mayo. Donegal and Down would be outside bets and then there's a chasing pack containing the likes of Armagh, Derry, Wexford, Galway, Meath etc who could with a bit of luck end up in a quarter or even semi-final but would be highly unlikely to actually win the All-ireland.

Mayo impressed me tonight. They are building very nicely, playing a very Tyrone-style of football with a very high intensity and forwards who can take scores. They'll be a lot more familiar with their system of play this summer than they were last year when they beat Cork and put it up to Kerry for a long time. Conceding only one goal in six matches has to be respected. They're definitely a team that's in with a shout of winning in September.

J70

Jesus lads, its only two weeks since 14-man Donegal outclassed Mayo and everyone was writing them off! Its almost like Sky Sports on here sometimes with the knee-jerk reactions, made even more ridiculous by the fact that its the league. Dublin, along with Cork and Kerry will still be the teams to beat this summer.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Mayo Mick

After tonight we have to be on the short list of genuine contenders. When the attitude is right there are few teams that will beat us.
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

ballinaman

Quote from: hardstation on March 31, 2012, 11:08:41 PM
Quote from: Mayo Mick on March 31, 2012, 11:07:00 PM
After tonight we have to be on the short list of genuine contenders. When the attitude is right there are few teams that will beat us.
The list can't be that short if Mayo are on it.
:D

Syferus

Quote from: Canalman on March 31, 2012, 10:34:14 PM
Next day in Cork imo will be the true indicator of Dublin's worth this Spring.

I think that the hard training all teams are doing now (winding down maybe)throws up results like this. Thought Dubs were sharp against Donegal but were woefully sluggish tonight.
NFL1 a bit all over the shop this year .................. Armagh v Kerry and Dublin results for example.

Certain Dublin lads have to reign (sic) in their petulance....... especially one player.

Mayo look very good. "Galway 1998" feel about them imo.

:-X

Jinxy

Quote from: Mayo Mick on March 31, 2012, 11:07:00 PM

Good man Mick, I was wondering where you were!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Sidney

Quote from: ONeill on March 31, 2012, 11:01:10 PM
The Dubs will win it again.
The facts speak for themselves. Dublin's intensity last year was a huge reason for them winning the All-Ireland. It's very difficult to replicate the same intensity the next year as many other teams, notably Tyrone on a number of occasions, found out.

All the leading contenders have what you would magine, are mitigating circumstances against them.

Dublin - difficult job maintaing the same intensity and motivation as last year
Cork - have a tendency to be rather headless in really crucial matches, question marks over the management's tactical nous and ability to really get the best from the players
Kerry - still have the class, but a thinner squad than in the 2006-2009 period, very old defence which will be a year older and more vulnerable than ever to being caught out by a team with the ability to play with the highest intensity for 70 minutes, were caught out to a certain extent by Dublin's superior fitness last year
Tyrone - the most impressiveteam in the country so far in 2012 but their older players will be a year older and it might still be a year or so too soon for some of their younger players
Kildare - have they the ability to score enough when it comes to the crunch n an All-Ireland semi-final or final? Also fighting against over 80 years of history
Mayo - fighting history in a similar manner to Kildare, have they the all-round class needed? A coming team certainly but Mayo's ability to fook things up should never be underestimated

One of those teams should win it though. It's incredibly open as to which one it will be.

If I had to pick one, I'd pick Kildare, reluctantly.

Jinxy

In fairness, list out the players Dublin were missing tonight.
I wouldn't write them off just yet.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Oraisteach

I was looking at Paddy Power today, and a few things caught my attention.

First, Armagh are at 40/1.  Now I know we're not the 60/61 Down team, but that seems like a nice price.

I was also a little surprised too that Louth are at 300/1.

Finally, both Mayo and Donegal are 16/1.  Too short a price for the O'Donnell Abu Crew, I think, but I'm starting to be a Mayo believer.  I don't have strange powers, but that's them done in two.

ONeill

You think Louth or Armagh might win the AI?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Oraisteach

Not likely, but is Armagh really a 40/1 shot while Donegal is 16/1?  And Louth is certainly a rank outsider, but are they really 300/1?  I'm not a punter, but am I nuts in thinking those odds a little long.  I'd be more inclined to have Armagh at about 25/1 and Louth at about 100/1 perhaps.

GalwayBayBoy

Ah here now.

Not that Mayo aren't a decent side but would Dublin be so lazy/ineffectual/rubbish if that game was in July or August? No chance.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 01, 2012, 02:16:08 AM

Ah here now.

Not that Mayo aren't a decent side but would Dublin be so lazy/ineffectual/rubbish if that game was in July or August? No chance.

More concerned about how up for it London/Leitrim are in June.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Syferus

Quote from: Oraisteach on April 01, 2012, 01:31:38 AM
Not likely, but is Armagh really a 40/1 shot while Donegal is 16/1?  And Louth is certainly a rank outsider, but are they really 300/1?  I'm not a punter, but am I nuts in thinking those odds a little long.  I'd be more inclined to have Armagh at about 25/1 and Louth at about 100/1 perhaps.

The odds are fair in the sense after the top 6-7 odds become insane. They reflect the chances of that team winning the All-Ireland, not their chances of effectively competing. Plenty of the top tier can (and some undoubtedly will) lose to D3-D4 teams in the championship. The gap between the top and the bottom has tightened in the past half decade.