Who will win the 2024 Ulster title

Donegal
27 (56.3%)
Armagh
21 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: April 27, 2024, 08:54:31 PM

Champion The Wonder Horse

Always good days and bad days supporting Derry. Better team won. Game won and lost on the line; McGuinness far cleverer than Harte.

Congratulations to Dun na nGall, even if it's just for J70 who seems like an all-round good guy.

screenexile

What's the point in winning 3 Ulsters in a row?

Plenty of time now to hit the Sam Maguire series running.

We'll see ye again in a few weeks lads! ;)

In all fairness the match shows up a number of issues for Derry. Lynch pressing kickouts is a no from now on and we need to get back to our meagre defensive system.

The biggest worry is we got absolutely cleaned at midfield on 50/50 balls. Basically they did to us what we did to Dublin.

The flaws are glaring and should be easy fixed so while I'm not happy with today I think we can turn it around.

Fair play to Donegal they had a plan defensively and went aggressively after long kickouts and knew we were vulnerable if we lost the ball there. I was at the Roscommon game and they had 2-3 chances to do the same and I thought Dublin would have exploited it. Fair play to Donegal they were able to.

Important few weeks ahead!

screenexile

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 20, 2024, 08:08:14 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 20, 2024, 08:00:18 PMDonegal's day for sure. Were the better team on the evening.

But this day will soon be forgotten. Things move on. Derry will re-group and Donegal will move on. One game doesn't make a summer.

Derry will move on and are still a top team.

That also counts for the League Final. People on here were losing the run of themselves about a game Derry could not see out twice.

Who are these people? I didn't see anybody from Derry do that!

Ghost

Hound

Very enjoyable game. Result not overly important in the big scheme, both will be in the last 8 when the big cup is on the line.

Lynch does that in every game (as do some others) so big kudos to McGuinness and Donegal for figuring out a plan to exploit it. But Derry will learn heaps from it.

Ridiculous from Canavan (who I usually like) in the after match comments implying Derry would have been better had they not make the league final. The key moments from that game were the Donegal goals, and Derry would not have played Lynch any differently had they not made the league final.

If they meet again in an AI quarter or semi, I'd have a very slight edge for Derry, as they wouldn't give those stupid goals away next time,  but Donegal will improve too so would be hard to call and could defo go either way. 

Armagh18

Just goes to show anyone can beat anyone on the day. Harte is a stubborn f**ker though so I'd put money on Lynch pushing up the next day too! Not many teams have the midfield to dominate Glass!

seanaglis

Derry big names all missing in action today

Truthsayer

tonto1888

In relation to glass and other Glen boy's, I wonder if the decision not to take time off after the club final was a factor today

SouthOfThe Bann

How impressive were Donegal in the midfield battle though

Blowitupref

Quote from: armaghniac on April 20, 2024, 08:08:33 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on April 20, 2024, 08:05:14 PM
Quote from: statto on April 20, 2024, 08:01:36 PMAre Donegal genuine all Ireland contenders?

Jimmy talking Donegal down after that match saying Ulster is their focus and even reaching a final will be progress. He reckons Derry will have say in the All Ireland series, harder route for them now as 3rd seed in the group.

Derry could end up in a group with Dublin and Donegal!

Yes that defeat today could turn out more messy for Derry than imagined.   

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

screenexile

screenexile

Quote from: Hound on April 20, 2024, 08:12:37 PMVery enjoyable game. Result not overly important in the big scheme, both will be in the last 8 when the big cup is on the line.

Lynch does that in every game (as do some others) so big kudos to McGuinness and Donegal for figuring out a plan to exploit it. But Derry will learn heaps from it.

Ridiculous from Canavan (who I usually like) in the after match comments implying Derry would have been better had they not make the league final. The key moments from that game were the Donegal goals, and Derry would not have played Lynch any differently had they not made the league final.

If they meet again in an AI quarter or semi, I'd have a very slight edge for Derry, as they wouldn't give those stupid goals away next time,  but Donegal will improve too so would be hard to call and could defo go either way.

I agree with all of this!

Armagh18

Derry could end up in group with Dublin/Kerry and one of Mayo/Galway/Donegal/Armagh. Then possibly into a prelim qf which will be tough going. Bigger result that than alot think.

marty34

Quote from: armaghniac on April 20, 2024, 08:08:33 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on April 20, 2024, 08:05:14 PM
Quote from: statto on April 20, 2024, 08:01:36 PMAre Donegal genuine all Ireland contenders?

Jimmy talking Donegal down after that match saying Ulster is their focus and even reaching a final will be progress. He reckons Derry will have say in the All Ireland series, harder route for them now as 3rd seed in the group.

Derry could end up in a group with Dublin and Donegal!

I think Derry would take Donegal again. They'll learn from that. 

A lot of football to be played yet.