Longford v Kerry - National League QF 1984

Started by Shamrock Shore, March 20, 2018, 04:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJ2017

Looks to be and Old Merc arriving to the game at 3.59 for the late arrivals,
Do you's think it could be the late Albert Reynolds?!

seafoid

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 20, 2018, 09:50:47 PM
Nah. No county gets an All Star without having some sort of a summer run.

Longford has never had an All Star  :-[
The all-stars started just a few years after 1968. It must have been les soixante huitards in Paris who inspired Longford that year.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 20, 2018, 06:01:58 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on March 20, 2018, 05:56:01 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 20, 2018, 04:56:30 PM
I came across this over the weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPVhpCjTJ_k&feature=youtu.be

I remember it well in a sense. Longford hosting the mighty Kerry (Kerry waived home advantage). At this time the League had QFs. Top 4 in Div 1, Top 2 in Div 2 and winners of Div 3 and Div 4 (or it could have been Div 3 North and Div 3 South)

But isn't memory terrible. There was I, thinking in my memory (having not seen it since 1984), that it was marvellous fare.

But, fcuk me, it's dreadful now that I see it again. It's a lump-a-thon on a dreadful pitch in a dreadful dank park with dreadful miserable looking people. We took an early 1-04 to 0-00 lead but Kerry reeled us in. Paidi was playing but, by all accounts, he was still hungover from going on the tear the night before.

Ireland in the 80s.  :-[
At least there was a decent stand in Longford then. ;)

LOL.

TBH I'd say stand in 1984 was falling down too but nobody passed a bit a heed back then
Think it was still around until the 2000's? Seem to think it was still like that when we played there in 1999, against Longford and then Armagh a few weeks later.

Captain Obvious

Lack of selfies,fake tan and cut jeans in that video. 

Billys Boots

Jaysus, that brought back some memories - I've seen better footage of Victorian times, so it definitely wasn't fake.  Was at the game and remember deluding myself after the first few minutes that it might be a good day for Longford.  It certainly wasn't vintage football, Shamrock Shore.  Was that your Da in the first minute of the footage?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: Billys Boots on March 21, 2018, 03:32:23 PM
Jaysus, that brought back some memories - I've seen better footage of Victorian times, so it definitely wasn't fake.  Was at the game and remember deluding myself after the first few minutes that it might be a good day for Longford.  It certainly wasn't vintage football, Shamrock Shore.  Was that your Da in the first minute of the footage?

Nah Billy - not auld Shore. It does look like him - but no.

And yes - for a while we thought it would be the shock of the century - isn't hope a hoor?

I sent the link onto one of the Kerry boys playing that day that I know to send on to Pat Spillane. I fully expect Pat to use it at some stage this year on Da Sundah Game to show how football has gone so far backwards in 33 years  :-\

AZOffaly

I watched the 1982 final on eir last night. Conditions were woeful but some lovely play, mixed in with dire passing and handling. Matt Connor may have had his worst game for Offaly. Brendan Lowry was great in the first half.

Dublin today would blow that Kerry side away, but if the Kerry side had the same preparation, jaysus they had some fine footballers.

Jinxy

To be honest, I struggle to watch football from the era where you were allowed to basically throw the ball into the net.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Jinxy on March 21, 2018, 08:02:23 PM
To be honest, I struggle to watch football from the era where you were allowed to basically throw the ball into the net.
Joe Sheridan said hello.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Qwerty28

Lads, on a somewhat related note, you'd hardly know if there's any footage available of the great teams of the 60s?

I contacted RTE & the GAA, said it would cost something like €120 for them to go through their archives and then would have to get GAA permissions as the own the copyright or something along those lines.

The auld lad those often talk about various matches and trips and no doubt he'd love to relive some of the action again!

Shamrock Shore

Qwerty.

When Kerry played Longford in the AIQs in Killarney in 2006 it was live on the tv. I recorded it (as I was natch in Killarney). At the start of the program they showed clips from the AISF in 1968. I had never ever seen this before so it does exist. Now where you would unearth it again is beyond me.

Ball Hopper

11 July 2009 - Longford host Kerry in the qualifiers - full game - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmys91FU0QE&feature=youtu.be

29 July 2006 - Goals from the Kerry/Longford qualifier game in Killarney.  Kieran Donaghy's first game at full forward. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCZPeAbDIQo

fearbrags

Longfords John Mccormack was a very  good footballler Imho

whitey

The League was a big deal back in those days. The Championship was knock out, so if your team made an exit in May or June that was it for the summer.  I think half the games were played before christmas and the other half after the New Year. The top two teams from each division went into the quarter finals. Games didnt get very big crowds like they do now so they were often played at smaller venues. I remember Mayo games being played in Charlestown and Ballina in addition to McHale Park.  I even remember a game being played in Ballinrobe but my memory may be playing tricks with that one