Leinster Senior Football Championship 2017

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 18, 2016, 01:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonadmad

Quote from: High Fielder on July 19, 2017, 11:43:28 AM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on July 19, 2017, 11:38:50 AM
Quote from: High Fielder on July 19, 2017, 11:32:32 AM
I don't know who they are. If I did, I would go to my nearest CB member and ask that they be suspended from the panel for at least six months

So if for instance,  I was the next manager of Laois Senior Football team, I would have disciplinary matters that didn't happen on my watch investigated and sentenced by random supporters?
This is about the craziest notion I've ever encountered from a GAA fan.

No. If the CB were interested in doing things properly, they would suspend these players. Just like most counties will. Tipp did it earlier in the year and proper order.

Mick Ryan and the Tipp Management did,not the CB,the Buck for discipline stops with the manager.

High Fielder

Accusations against nobody in particular is just hearsay lads. Idle gossip without foundation. Pitiful. Is it better to be on the panel and drinking or not on the panel at all? Welcome to Laois, the home of bitterness. I'd say town180 could point us in the direction of one or two disgruntled punters. Is he one himself? Good luck with campaign lads. Creedon out. Creedon out. Creedon out.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: High Fielder on July 19, 2017, 12:32:23 PM
Accusations against nobody in particular is just hearsay lads. Idle gossip without foundation. Pitiful. Is it better to be on the panel and drinking or not on the panel at all? Welcome to Laois, the home of bitterness. I'd say town180 could point us in the direction of one or two disgruntled punters. Is he one himself? Good luck with campaign lads. Creedon out. Creedon out. Creedon out.

Campaign? You are getting worse and worse.
Spouting nonsense and changing the subject with every post.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

High Fielder

It's pitiful that four players, as yet unnamed, can drink like fish and not have a word said against them. Four grown men ffs. Is Creedon supposed to be their Guardian too? These lads know the commitment it takes to be successful. They don't live in a bubble. They are not just fooling the people of Laois with this bullshit. They are fooling themselves. I don't believe anyone could be that stupid

Tony

Funny - you have no problem collectively shaming the whole squad ("the players have been drinking all year"), yet you find it so horrible to name a player that has done so. Is that because you heard it third hand and can't actually back up your argument and you don't know for sure? Yes.

As High Fielder says, you've backed yourself into a corner Town1980. One day it's "It's all Creedon's fault, we should be playing Division 2 with these players!!"

The next day it's "Half the panel have been drinking like alcoholics all year, yet we still should be good enough to play Division 2!!"

What a joke.

Creedon will probably go this year and arguably deservedly so but we don't have the players to do anything of note in the next 5 years. Get real. Rumours spread like wildfire in this day and age of social media but NONE of us have seen ANY proof that lads were drinking ALCOHOL. None of us want to spend our hard earned wage on a bunch of alcoholics wearing a Laois jersey. So if you "knew" they were drinking all year - why did you show up to the matches?! Is it because you don't know for sure they were drinking. Yes.

You're so knowledgeable Town1980, that YOU "knew" about players "drinking", yet no senior player, selector, management knew!? What a joke.

town1980

tony you cant help it your some eejit and were all seeing it now letting yourself down with those comments about mr burke,such as you say a keyboard fool  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The Saint

The drinking went on alright lads. I've a healthy enough social life and enjoy a few pints and would have regularly had a few pints with a couple of the lads. That'll blow fuses with some posters here but what people seem to forget is we're talking about young lads in the prime of life here.... I think county jerseys all over the country don't mean as much anymore, there's no big carrot dangling in front of most counties now. It's kinda hard get too excited about Laois football for the past ten years and I think that could have permeated into some players minds too. I reckon a lot of lads around the country might feel they can mix both now... A bit of a life and play county. Personally, I don't know why these lads bother commit?

Tony

Town, you can't even spell. Everyone knows you're the biggest fool on here.

The bottom line is : if some players were drinking, it's a severe lack of respect for the jersey, a severe lack of respect for the laois gaa fans and it's a severe lack of respect for themselves and their families.

I don't see any member of the Laois panel doing that, let alone large numbers of them. So you tell me who is defaming who. At least John Burke said it publicly but I highly doubt he's seen groups of the Laois panel drink ALCOHOL days before a match. I highly doubt the players would be that foolish. Do I have too much trust in the players? Are they really that foolish?

High Fielder

Quote from: The Saint on July 19, 2017, 01:54:47 PM
The drinking went on alright lads. I've a healthy enough social life and enjoy a few pints and would have regularly had a few pints with a couple of the lads. That'll blow fuses with some posters here but what people seem to forget is we're talking about young lads in the prime of life here.... I think county jerseys all over the country don't mean as much anymore, there's no big carrot dangling in front of most counties now. It's kinda hard get too excited about Laois football for the past ten years and I think that could have permeated into some players minds too. I reckon a lot of lads around the country might feel they can mix both now... A bit of a life and play county. Personally, I don't know why these lads bother commit?

Now there's a post every Laois supporter will love reading. Post of the year. Roll on 2018. Personally I don't know why anyone would want to coach Laois. Does the drinking just mask the fact that they don't think they're good enough? Or do they just have issues? And are you saying this is just a small group of players? Or everyone?

The Saint

One or two lads, a few pints here and there. Not the whole panel, not fifteen pints, not every night! Normal behaviour for a young lad, maybe not so normal for intercounty athletes.

Saint75

Laois Players drinking. I'd say the county board are delighted with this controversy as it deflects from the real problems in Laois football. Generally over the last 10 years or so the commitment from Laois players has been excellent. They have prepared as well as they could and got a lot out of themselves.

If the county board acted as professionally and shown as much commitment we wouldn't be in the place we are now.

Players are an easy target and generally aren't given the chance to defend themselves.

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

I was a club delegate at the meeting on Monday evening and I could go into detail and fully fill in the doubting Thomas merchants, I will not, because it serves no purpose.

The heart of the issue is Laois Senior Football and the future.

we can all see the current roots are rather weak and require strengthening, and the current fruit is of a poor quality as compared to the past, and some of the current fruit has blemishes.

The County Chairman's key message at the end of the discussion was that appointing 3 different managers in the last 4 years has solved no problems and finding another new manager will continue a vicious circle.

As a club delegate, let me explain to you the procedure for appointing a new manager..........the executive, from within, select 3 or 4 to conduct interviews, and they then return to a county board meeting with a candidate, and the delegates are as good as told to rubberstamp this selected candidate.

On this forum, we can all offer different views on the state of football at senior level within the county. What is undeniable, is that you need to be properly organised and management must command player respect and through good management have a powerful control over players.  In otherwords, find the right candidate, and discipline(team and personal), attitude, application and dedication will all fall naturally into place.

The one common denominator of fault for the past 5 years under the stewardship of Gerry Kavanagh has been the flawed interview process which 3 times has now delivered inadequate managers. In the business world, the sourcing and appointing of the right candidates into key management positions is critical to commercial success.  Appoint duds and the business fails, that is why I suppose the recruitment firms thrive due to their relatively successful record in finding candidates to fill briefs.

We can all here see that Laois Football is a devalued currency compared with 10-15 years ago, it is still not as bad as the results suggest in 2017.

The right manager will not suddenly make Laois a challenger to Dublin in Leinster, or a div 2 side in 2 years........a right manager is one who will automatically through his actions and attitude and character, receive full cooperation, respect and compliance from his squad

If the entity tasked with locating such a manager has failed 3 times within 4 years in their chore, then it becomes critical that a different entity(perhaps some outsiders with the acumen) be selected to find the new candidate instead of the regular 3 or 4 off the executive.................will this happen........highly unlikely............because, those 3 or 4 individuals from the executive, would regard the job of headhunting and nominating a new managerial appointment as one of the perks of their own personal executive positions.

clonadmad

Quote from: oneflewoverthecuckoonest on July 19, 2017, 03:09:05 PM
I was a club delegate at the meeting on Monday evening and I could go into detail and fully fill in the doubting Thomas merchants, I will not, because it serves no purpose.

The heart of the issue is Laois Senior Football and the future.

we can all see the current roots are rather weak and require strengthening, and the current fruit is of a poor quality as compared to the past, and some of the current fruit has blemishes.

The County Chairman's key message at the end of the discussion was that appointing 3 different managers in the last 4 years has solved no problems and finding another new manager will continue a vicious circle.

As a club delegate, let me explain to you the procedure for appointing a new manager..........the executive, from within, select 3 or 4 to conduct interviews, and they then return to a county board meeting with a candidate, and the delegates are as good as told to rubberstamp this selected candidate.

On this forum, we can all offer different views on the state of football at senior level within the county. What is undeniable, is that you need to be properly organised and management must command player respect and through good management have a powerful control over players.  In otherwords, find the right candidate, and discipline(team and personal), attitude, application and dedication will all fall naturally into place.

The one common denominator of fault for the past 5 years under the stewardship of Gerry Kavanagh has been the flawed interview process which 3 times has now delivered inadequate managers. In the business world, the sourcing and appointing of the right candidates into key management positions is critical to commercial success.  Appoint duds and the business fails, that is why I suppose the recruitment firms thrive due to their relatively successful record in finding candidates to fill briefs.

We can all here see that Laois Football is a devalued currency compared with 10-15 years ago, it is still not as bad as the results suggest in 2017.

The right manager will not suddenly make Laois a challenger to Dublin in Leinster, or a div 2 side in 2 years........a right manager is one who will automatically through his actions and attitude and character, receive full cooperation, respect and compliance from his squad

If the entity tasked with locating such a manager has failed 3 times within 4 years in their chore, then it becomes critical that a different entity(perhaps some outsiders with the acumen) be selected to find the new candidate instead of the regular 3 or 4 off the executive.................will this happen........highly unlikely............because, those 3 or 4 individuals from the executive, would regard the job of headhunting and nominating a new managerial appointment as one of the perks of their own personal executive positions.

Excellent post

How many of the those tasked to hire a manager in the past 4 years would have expertise in hiring people in their professional  day to day lives?.

What was the criteria that got someone onto this manager selection executive?.

redsetanta

I would concur with lads saying players should not be named. If posters really need to know they can pm other forum members.

The drinking would have to be put in context and is it really about drinking?? That's is just a symptom of the malaise in senior football it's not the cause
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

town1980

brilliant post by "oneflewoverthecuckoonest"