Author Topic: Laois 2017 - NHL and Leinster SHC  (Read 27620 times)

blueandwhite1

• View Profile
Re: Laois 2017 - NHL and Leinster SHC
« Reply #420 on: April 24, 2017, 12:31:14 PM »
i thought that todays win was very good when you consider the players that have retired/injured/wont commit to the team. We pulled away in the 3rd quarter when the game was in the balance, and responded very well to the first goal. There are a few obvious conclusions out of todays game
1)Regardless of where cha is played he is by and far our best player and i would argue is more important to the team now than willie hyland/keenan ever were to laois
2)Rowland for all the talent in the world as a shop stopper is always in danger of making poor mistakes, also i dont think his puckouts are very accurate, but length wise cannot be dismissed, fleming would probably be a less spectactular but less error prone keeper
3)Having lads on the bench that are subs/on 2nd teams of senior clubs must be a massive slap to lads from senior b/inter/junior clubs, i know they are young and probably with the u21s but if you couldnt make your club team the year before you shouldnt be getting within an asses roar of the squad, they had young harnett on the bench too which was nice and he has played fitzgibbon wit CIT and Senior B with Ballyfin last year as a gales player from Mountmellick so hopefully the gales teams unearths a few more, because having subs from club teams on the bench is a bad reflection.

Overall a good win and hopefully more to come

On your third point - just looking through the subs, I can only see one player who matches that description - Brian Corby. Good young player and probably doing well with the U21s. He is only out of minor so couldn't have played senior yet, it is not that he is of lesser quality than other lads. I would doubt that there are too many put out by it. By and large, our best hurlers are making themselves available for the team with the exception of Zane (as always).

Good and bad yesterday. We won with a very young team and a lot of lads got their championship debuts. Some of them did very well under the circumstances and arguably lifted the older lads. Cian Taylor, Lee Cleere, Sean Downey, Aaron Dunphy, Eanna Lyons and Eric Killeen all had debuts yesterday and the lads around them are all under 23 with few exceptions. We won't be complacent going to Meath next week, that's for sure and hopefully Roddy, Paddy Purcell and a few more that didn't really perform yesterday can show what they are made of. It was encouraging to see Ciaran Collier hurling well too. The biggest worry for me was that when Westmeath needed goals, we let them have them. Similar to what we saw against Kerry in both league matches. Have to shut down those spaces more effectively and track back on the runners from midfield.

BallyroanAbbey

• View Profile
Re: Laois 2017 - NHL and Leinster SHC
« Reply #421 on: April 24, 2017, 01:37:31 PM »

On your third point - just looking through the subs, I can only see one player who matches that description - Brian Corby. Good young player and probably doing well with the U21s. He is only out of minor so couldn't have played senior yet, it is not that he is of lesser quality than other lads. I would doubt that there are too many put out by it. By and large, our best hurlers are making themselves available for the team with the exception of Zane (as always).

The likes of Joe Campion, Gearoid Burke, Dayne Peacock would be a few more, i do accept your point about Corby been with the u21s