Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Last Man on July 20, 2017, 06:09:46 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 20, 2017, 02:30:13 PM
Do they deserve their jersey after one game?

Plenty giving off about no manager wanting to take the team here and with sound advice on how we could improve, but not actually willing to put their names forward and then blame the county board! Strange
At what point do they earn their jersey, has this ever been clarified? Is there a minimum reward a county player can expect? Did the players take to the pitch last night to lose the game? Were they perhaps ill prepared?
Had training begun 10 weeks ago would the panel have attended where possible? I believe they would have as their record of attendance through all the age groups would back that up. Investing personal time and expense wanting nothing more in return than some county gear for their efforts. Any of the old farts that cant get over this need to finally realise once and for all that this is the No.1 motivator.
IMO we tripped over our arrogance yet again believing we would get over the line in Ulster and see if we could put up a performance against Kilkenny. Meanwhile Colly McGurk hadn't been taking things so lightly with his lads out playing us all over the field and deserving winners. Nor did Colly sit back and wait for an U21 manager to put his hand up, perhaps he saw some merit in maintaining development standards in the short term at least.
So this rumoured threat of sanction to the panellists who did not return their jerseys having been told to take them by the team management I find truly baffling. As a county we got what we deserved, is this the fault of the players?
Why does the CB continually seek to alienate this generation of players while failing them on so many levels. There was a Mexican army eventually looking after the U17/minors when it became apparent there was a whiff of success about them, no corners would be cut here. Mentors all jumping aboard knowing it would be a fairly easy ride. At the same time if its a less productive group the usual 2 man management team would be expected to just get through it and do what you can fobbing the players off when the embarrassing questions about gear start to arise. I personally found this one of the most annoying things I had to deal with as a development squad mentor ie. a fairly chunky disincentive for anyone to be volunteering to take these groups.

By all accounts here it seems they just turned up, no training no selection process no manager! Play a match and complain about not getting a jersey ? Is that what we are talking about?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Last Man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 20, 2017, 06:42:31 PM

Plenty giving off about no manager wanting to take the team here and with sound advice on how we could improve, but not actually willing to put their names forward and then blame the county board! Strange
At what point do they earn their jersey, has this ever been clarified? Is there a minimum reward a county player can expect? Did the players take to the pitch last night to lose the game? Were they perhaps ill prepared?
Had training begun 10 weeks ago would the panel have attended where possible? I believe they would have as their record of attendance through all the age groups would back that up. Investing personal time and expense wanting nothing more in return than some county gear for their efforts. Any of the old farts that cant get over this need to finally realise once and for all that this is the No.1 motivator.
IMO we tripped over our arrogance yet again believing we would get over the line in Ulster and see if we could put up a performance against Kilkenny. Meanwhile Colly McGurk hadn't been taking things so lightly with his lads out playing us all over the field and deserving winners. Nor did Colly sit back and wait for an U21 manager to put his hand up, perhaps he saw some merit in maintaining development standards in the short term at least.
So this rumoured threat of sanction to the panellists who did not return their jerseys having been told to take them by the team management I find truly baffling. As a county we got what we deserved, is this the fault of the players?
Why does the CB continually seek to alienate this generation of players while failing them on so many levels. There was a Mexican army eventually looking after the U17/minors when it became apparent there was a whiff of success about them, no corners would be cut here. Mentors all jumping aboard knowing it would be a fairly easy ride. At the same time if its a less productive group the usual 2 man management team would be expected to just get through it and do what you can fobbing the players off when the embarrassing questions about gear start to arise. I personally found this one of the most annoying things I had to deal with as a development squad mentor ie. a fairly chunky disincentive for anyone to be volunteering to take these groups.

By all accounts here it seems they just turned up, no training no selection process no manager! Play a match and complain about not getting a jersey ? Is that what we are talking about?
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 20, 2017, 06:42:31 PM

There were training sessions arranged at a late stage, all very ad hoc, no meaningful challenge games etc. Fairly shambolic compared to Derry's preparations. Just because the players achieved nothing as a result doesn't mmean they should be hung out to dry for a 20quid jersey. That's just petty and vindictive and ignores the real issues

Milltown Row2

£500 quid seems a lot to pay for one game and a handful training sessions..

not the players fault of course but if no one puts themselves forward what can be done?

January each year management needs to be put in place for each team... set weeks should be fixtured in to suit each grade with pre planned games arranged... taking into consideration exams and league games is a must... maybe if that's in place a manager might be able to entice a bigger squad and backroom team... that's the ideal set up, the reality is harder to set up...

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Pjoe

"There was a Mexican army eventually looking after the U17/minors when it became apparent there was a whiff of success about them, no corners would be cut here."

What a load of BS. When you don't know what you are talking about nor any of the fact I find it best to keep quiet in these circumstances...

Usain

Great to hear a bit of honesty from someone for a change:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/faithful-hero-joe-dooley-fears-its-a-long-road-back-for-current-crop-35949558.html

Antrim very similar. In a valley and not coming out anytime soon.

old timers

Iv learned very quickly on this board that most people on it don't know what they are talking about  it's just somewhere for people to vent.  It's usually  the ones who talk the greatest load of BS are  Empty vessels and we all know what empty vessels do. ..... make the most noise

Last Man

Quote from: Pjoe on July 21, 2017, 09:28:04 AM
"There was a Mexican army eventually looking after the U17/minors when it became apparent there was a whiff of success about them, no corners would be cut here."

What a load of BS. When you don't know what you are talking about nor any of the fact I find it best to keep quiet in these circumstances...
mmm curiously defensive come back there mate. Whats your take on the U16 squad from someone who knows like yourself?

Last Man

Quote from: old timers on July 21, 2017, 12:47:22 PM
Iv learned very quickly on this board that most people on it don't know what they are talking about  it's just somewhere for people to vent.  It's usually  the ones who talk the greatest load of BS are  Empty vessels and we all know what empty vessels do. ..... make the most noise
Funny how these newbie accounts appear all of a sudden, with the sole purpose of discrediting and closing down any thorny debates. "House of Cards" wouldn't be in it :o. It's a wonder you "full vessels" wouldn't have more important things to be at.

old timers

😂😂😂. My point exactly empty. 

Pjoe

I'm not "you mate". Just making an observation that the statement I highlighted is BS (in my humble opinion which is slightly more informed on the U17/Minor squad).

Last Man

Quote from: Pjoe on July 21, 2017, 05:18:35 PM
I'm not "you mate". Just making an observation that the statement I highlighted is BS (in my humble opinion which is slightly more informed on the U17/Minor squad).
I think you were reading a bit much in to it but that was never the insinuation so lets park that and debate the point. Are you conscious of the optics, regardless of what form your involvement took or what you say you know? 

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: old timers on July 21, 2017, 12:47:22 PM

yet you come on here and make bold assumptions about people on here not knowing what contributions they make to their clubs on a reg basis. there are a number of people on here who have done and continue to give up all of their time for their respective clubs and the reason they are on here chatting is due to their passion for the game and this county. If they are unhappy, so what, deal with it or just stay off the page. you'll not get annoyed.
hurl like f**k boi!

Larnegaa

What are peoples thoughts on the Intermediate Hurling C'Ship matches coming up?

Pr e li m 1 St En d a s v Gle n Ro v e r s

Pr e li m 1 v La m h Dh e a r g
Ca r e y Fa u g h s v Gle n a r i f f e
Sa r sf i e ld s v St Ga lls
Ra sh a r k i n v Ti r Na No g

Milltown Row2

Not one easy match ... could go either way

Usain

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 24, 2017, 01:39:09 PM
Not one easy match ... could go either way

Intermediate championship again going to be the most entertaining and evenly contested cship this year. Great for the neutral. No obvious winners here.