Portrush gets the Open

Started by stew, October 21, 2015, 12:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

Quote from: balladmaker on July 17, 2019, 11:18:59 AM
Only being a TV follower of the game, where does the Dunluce links rate on a scale of difficulty from a professional's perspective?  I guess we'll know by the scoring at the end of it on Sunday.

depends on the conditions i would say. 

thewobbler

The difficulty of much all links courses is dependent on the weather. As the ground is usually solid underfoot, pros can expect serious roll, and even a 450 yard par 4 - on a still day - can be taken out with a solid 3 iron and a solid mid iron.

But when the wind gets, up they're often forced to take driver off the tee, and that's when the long rough, deep gorse and unusual stances begin to test their technique. Links golf then tends to suit those with a lower trajectory and a more creative ground game. Absolute ferocious power like Rory or DJ is still a tremendous weapon, as they'll be hitting 7 irons out of the rough instead of 4 irons like many, but stopping a high 7 iron quickly on a green, from out of deep rough is lap of Gods stuff.

Tiger once spent a fortnight in Ireland and Scotland before an Open just training himself to hit the ball lower.

thewobbler

If the weather forecast holds true, the wind will be up all day Thursday and most of Sunday afternoon. I'd expect maybe -2 to be a good score on either of those days. But damp (soft greens) and relatively still (leave driver in the bag) days on Friday and Saturday could be a few -8s being thrown in.

trailer

Was up yesterday and heading up this weekend again. Yesterday was a clean washout from 4pm on. If they get that weather it'll stiffen up the scores. It's a tough course and I noticed a lot of players trying to miss short. Expect a putting competition from the front of the greens.

Rois

Belfast absolutely buzzing with golfers, coaches, car services etc this morning. 

Trying to get a 5.33 train ticket for tomorrow morn, don't suppose anyone has one and wants to swap for an 8.10?

JPGJOHNNYG

f**k me rors at it again you couldnt make it up

shark

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on July 18, 2019, 10:22:18 AM
f**k me rors at it again you couldnt make it up

Unreal. Will do really well to get back to level par today. Lowry motoring well.

Pub Bore

Catholic Irish golfer takes an 8 at the 1st.

RedHand88

Oh Rory.

Rory, Rory, Rory...

Erne Man

Another shot dropped at the 3rd! Horrendous start.

RedHand88

under the bar

Is McIlroy worth a punt at 66/1?

Orior

How did he take an 8 at the first?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

93-DY-SAM

RedHand88

Quote from: Orior on July 18, 2019, 11:07:07 AM
How did he take an 8 at the first?

1st shot went out of bounds and then missed a 6foot putt.