Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

orangeman

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 22, 2011, 10:46:43 PM
Quote from: orangeman on July 22, 2011, 09:09:02 PM
Surely Sean Brady should see that it's time for him as leader of the church in Ireland to admit at least to himself if not the public that he as much as anyone involved in this scandal, has been a large part of the massive cover up of child abuse for decades and that the future of the church in Ireland would be better served by allowing someone else to take over the reins and allow a new man to take control and lead the church to a renewal ?.

But given his appalling record of defending those who were up to their necks in abuse, this is unlikely to happen.

The same should apply to Sean Brady's counterparts in every diocese throughout Ireland and indeed the whole world.

New leaders should be appointed and the old boys who were complicit should be kicked out and exposed. As long as Sean Brady and men like him remain in power, the church will never undergo the change that is necessary to ensure its future well being.
The problem for the church is that there are no new boys to take over.

Surely there have to be potentially younger leaders out there untainted by all this scandal ? They all cannot be guilty ?.

Maguire01

Quote from: orangeman on July 22, 2011, 10:59:10 PM
Surely Sean Brady should see that it's time for him as leader of the church in Ireland to admit at least to himself if not the public that he as much as anyone involved in this scandal, has been a large part of the massive cover up of child abuse for decades and that the future of the church in Ireland would be better served by allowing someone else to take over the reins and allow a new man to take control and lead the church to a renewal ?.

But given his appalling record of defending those who were up to their necks in abuse, this is unlikely to happen.

The same should apply to Sean Brady's counterparts in every diocese throughout Ireland and indeed the whole world.

New leaders should be appointed and the old boys who were complicit should be kicked out and exposed. As long as Sean Brady and men like him remain in power, the church will never undergo the change that is necessary to ensure its future well being.

Surely there have to be potentially younger leaders out there untainted by all this scandal ? They all cannot be guilty ?.
Not saying they're all guilty at all - just that there appears to be a lack of 'new blood' in the Church.

johnneycool

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 22, 2011, 11:01:13 PM
Quote from: orangeman on July 22, 2011, 10:59:10 PM

Not saying they're all guilty at all - just that there appears to be a lack of 'new blood' in the Church.

When even Archbishop Diarmuid Martin has reservations about the 'cabals' within the Catholic church ignoring the new guidelines on reporting child abuse it's hard for any of the rest of us to place any faith in the same church.

Pangurban

If as some posters here imply, all members of the Church are guilty, whether through commission,omission, neglect or collusion, should the same criteria not be applied to the state, and, as they are citizens of that state, also apply to them. There are no clean hands here, and some of you atheists and church bashers should remember that

johnneycool

Quote from: Pangurban on July 23, 2011, 12:03:53 AM
If as some posters here imply, all members of the Church are guilty, whether through commission,omission, neglect or collusion, should the same criteria not be applied to the state, and, as they are citizens of that state, also apply to them. There are no clean hands here, and some of you atheists and church bashers should remember that

Certainly I believe the guards inability to investigate some cases that were brought to them also needs looked at and Enda would be well served getting wired into them as well.

theskull1

Quote from: The Iceman on July 22, 2011, 07:06:26 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on July 22, 2011, 05:10:40 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on July 22, 2011, 04:58:28 PM
EG there has been mention already for the need for discussion, cool heads and time.
There cannot be a knee jerk reaction - it is near impossible.

Jesus may have cleared the temple but he also appointed a man who betrayed him as the Head of the Church (Peter).

Iceman...you know that is coded language for "I intend to sit it out and do F all and we'll see how it pans out"

as opposed to stirring shit on gaa message boards and doing F all yourself? Skull you've been the same from you joined the board - a young crow.
Full of shit
Quote from: The Iceman on July 22, 2011, 08:49:18 PM
Never claimed to be perfect or the next Jesus.
Just because I try to walk the path doesn't mean I am not able to step off now and again.

:)
How many child abusing priests thought those very same thoughts I wonder.

And what you call shit stirring is what I call challenging debate. You simply lack the capacity to hold your temper when unpalatable truths are presented to you. The bible seems to have taught you nothing. Resorting to ad homenum attacks exposes just how threadbare your arguments really are
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Tony Baloney

Some hands are dirtier than others. The priests and brothers that abused the children committed a crime and should be punished. The church hierarchy that knew that crimes were being committed and wilfully covered up these crimes should pay. Government officials and guards that protected the church should pay. Lay people who may have suspected wrongdoing but were in thrall of the church in a time when the local priest was the most powerful man in the parish are in a different category altogether. To suggest otherwise is bullshit.

johnneycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 23, 2011, 12:19:51 AM
Some hands are dirtier than others. The priests and brothers that abused the children committed a crime and should be punished. The church hierarchy that knew that crimes were being committed and wilfully covered up these crimes should pay. Government officials and guards that protected the church should pay. Lay people who may have suspected wrongdoing but were in thrall of the church in a time when the local priest was the most powerful man in the parish are in a different category altogether. To suggest otherwise is bullshit.

I confess to almighty God, and to you, my brothers and sisters, that I have sinned through my own fault, in my thoughts and in my words, in what I have done, and in what I have failed to do; and I ask blessed Mary, ever virgin, all the angels and saints, and you, my brothers and sisters, to pray for me to the Lord our God.

I'm not so sure as you Tony. Certainly you would be rowing against a strong tide, but I don't know how you could sleep at night if you had any evidence that was concrete and didn't attempt to do something about it.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnneycool on July 23, 2011, 12:27:51 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 23, 2011, 12:19:51 AM

I confess to almighty God, and to you, my brothers and sisters, that I have sinned through my own fault, in my thoughts and in my words, in what I have done, and in what I have failed to do; and I ask blessed Mary, ever virgin, all the angels and saints, and you, my brothers and sisters, to pray for me to the Lord our God.

I'm not so sure as you Tony. Certainly you would be rowing against a strong tide, but I don't know how you could sleep at night if you had any evidence that was concrete and didn't attempt to do something about it.
Youse can talk around it all you want, the people buggering the children and those covering it up are the guilty parties here, not the lay people who suspected something was amiss with a priest or brother. I'm not referring to these goons nowadays that are aware of the facts and still fundraise for the priests and hold vigils for them. I'm talking about Ireland of the 50s and 60s when there was nowhere to turn to.

theskull1

It should be fairly obvious by now (even to the goons) that Catholicism needs to be physically dragged kicking  and screaming from where its at at the minute. But the goons are still tipping their hats to these bastards
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Pangurban

OK Tony, what about the Magistrates, Social Workers, and Parents who sent these young people to the Industrial Schools and Laundries, the inspectors who failed to inspect, the wider Irish public who never questioned the morality of these incarcerations. We were all part of a smug society, immersed in a false religiosity, incapable of rational independent thought, and do you what, little has changed

Eamonnca1

Nice try. 

You can choose not to put money into the collection basket of a Sunday. Try opting out of paying your taxes and see how far you get with that.

muppet

Once the arrests started in News International, Rupert Murdock made it over to give testimony to an MPs Committee hearing (weak as it was).

Any sign of Rome sending senior representatives over, 17 years after Brendan Smith?
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 23, 2011, 01:14:00 AM

Nice try. 

You can choose not to put money into the collection basket of a Sunday. Try opting out of paying your taxes and see how far you get with that.
[/b]

+1

Eamonnca1

Quote from: muppet on July 24, 2011, 12:42:46 PM
Once the arrests started in News International, Rupert Murdock made it over to give testimony to an MPs Committee hearing (weak as it was).

Any sign of Rome sending senior representatives over, 17 years after Brendan Smith?

Well to be fair, they did send boys in frocks from Rome over to the enquiries to tell the survivors that they were telling lies when giving accounts of themselves being raped and beaten.