Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

The Iceman

Were would people Worship Myles if the entire Church was thrown out / disbanded or whatever it is you are calling for?

You solution provides no option for anyone with any faith or any desire to live that faith out. The Eucharist is the center of the RC Church. Without Priests that no longer exists.

I understand all of our disgust and hurt at all of this but any bit of news at all you use as an opportunity to further bash the Church, so much so that I doubt your motivation is to even highlight the abuse, but rather, to further tr**p the Church as a whole into the ground and toot your own anti-religion tune......
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Hardy

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 15, 2011, 05:17:47 PM
Good to see Kenny, Gilmore and Shatter coming in heavy on the Vatican State and its long interference in the Irish Republic. Hopefully the leaders of the other political parties will come out and condemn the cover-ups and vile lawbreaking and harm to Irish citizens by a foreign state.

I'd be impressed if it wasn't the easy shot these days. I'd have been impressed if they did it ten years ago.

Tubberman

Quote from: The Iceman on July 15, 2011, 07:04:58 PM
Were would people Worship Myles if the entire Church was thrown out / disbanded or whatever it is you are calling for?

You solution provides no option for anyone with any faith or any desire to live that faith out. The Eucharist is the center of the RC Church. Without Priests that no longer exists.

I understand all of our disgust and hurt at all of this but any bit of news at all you use as an opportunity to further bash the Church, so much so that I doubt your motivation is to even highlight the abuse, but rather, to further tr**p the Church as a whole into the ground and toot your own anti-religion tune......

"any bit of news at all"!?
Is that seriously how you are describing the findings of the Cloyne report?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

muppet

Good to see Kenny, Gilmore and Shatter coming in heavy on the Vatican State and its long interference in the Irish Republic. Hopefully the leaders of the other political parties will come out and condemn the cover-ups and vile lawbreaking and harm to Irish citizens by a foreign state. I see one of the Labour T.D.s is looking to get pre-Dáil session prayers removed, about time. If we do eventually get a new constitution, god should be banished from it for good, his only place is in the fairytale section of the library.

And in your name.
MWWSI 2017

Tyrones own

Quote from: Tubberman on July 15, 2011, 07:12:59 PM

"any bit of news at all"!?
Is that seriously how you are describing the findings of the Cloyne report?
How about letting myles answer the question he asked without picking 5 or 6 words out of an entire post to comment on? I think he made himself pretty clear how he
and the rest of us feel about it
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: muppet on July 15, 2011, 07:18:42 PM
Good to see Kenny, Gilmore and Shatter coming in heavy on the Vatican State and its long interference in the Irish Republic. Hopefully the leaders of the other political parties will come out and condemn the cover-ups and vile lawbreaking and harm to Irish citizens by a foreign state. I see one of the Labour T.D.s is looking to get pre-Dáil session prayers removed, about time. If we do eventually get a new constitution, god should be banished from it for good, his only place is in the fairytale section of the library.

And in your name.

Thats a saying from the 19'th century dinner tables of upperclass English society, at a time when one of the guests would read aloud from the newspaper. During the Great Irish Famine the reports of death and destitution in Mayo appeared to outnumber the rest, and the placename Mayo appeared in Famine related news so often that this saying was born in England, not Ireland. I use a little g not a big G.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mylestheslasher

Are you capable of reading? If so can you point out where I said the whole church should be kicked out? But then maybe if i were personally interested in saving your church then maybe disbanding it and starting again might be a good idea. Follow the catholic teaching if you like but get the dead wood that pollute the organisation out of it. My main concern as an Irish republican is that to totally separate church from state. All religion should be practiced outside of school hours in the parent/pupils own time. No special relationships, no brainwashing kids in the class room and no putting paedophilles in charge and jail for life for anyone who covers it up.

And bit of news indeed. Have you no comment on the report accusing the vatican of obstructing the investigation? Any comment on the fact this happened up to 2009 when you and others were saying the great church had said sorry and were putting things right? Nothing to say on that at all. btw - I won't be debating (a stretch to call it that) with your idiot cheer leader as he knows as much of what goes on in ireland as he does about the north pole.

Pangurban

While the findings of the Cloyne report are undoubtedly shocking, what is equally as shocking is the political and media response which reveals how infantile a society we have become. While the largely anti-catholic media whip up a wave of hysteria, devoid of any balance or rational thought, our politicos respond with Knee Jerk proposals which clearly have not been thought through. Meanwhile on liveline and forums such as this, the great unwashed, most of whom have never darkened the Door of a Church, or entertained an original thought, jump on the Bandwagon to vent their spleen. We have our fair share of these idiots on this forum. Rupert Murdock and Tony O Reilly did not become millionaires by overestimating their stupidity.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Pangurban on July 15, 2011, 07:56:33 PM
While the findings of the Cloyne report are undoubtedly shocking, what is equally as shocking is the political and media response which reveals how infantile a society we have become. While the largely anti-catholic media whip up a wave of hysteria, devoid of any balance or rational thought, our politicos respond with Knee Jerk proposals which clearly have not been thought through. Meanwhile on liveline and forums such as this, the great unwashed, most of whom have never darkened the Door of a Church, or entertained an original thought, jump on the Bandwagon to vent their spleen. We have our fair share of these idiots on this forum. Rupert Murdock and Tony O Reilly did not become millionaires by overestimating their stupidity.

Excellent stuff! There it is folks for all to see. Breathtaking.

Main Street

Quote from: Tubberman on July 15, 2011, 05:44:44 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 15, 2011, 05:31:13 PM
If we do eventually get a new constitution, god should be banished from it for good, his only place is in the fairytale section of the library.
God takes the rap  ::)

There should be no place for mention of any God in the constitution. This is supposed to a republic - people are free to believe in any god or none.

Mention of God in the constitution is a constitutional matter and has no relevance to do with clerical abuse.

And in any case, the mention of God in article 6 of the constitution is not anti-republican, the State is the authority on all matters.
The constitution does not discriminate against atheism, people have complete freedom to believe or not believe in God.

muppet

While the findings of the Cloyne report are undoubtedly shocking,

You should have left it there.

You cannot blame people for being genuinely shocked at something you agree is shocking. You then go on attacking all criticism as either anti-Catholic or from the great unwashed who never darkened the door of a church.

Do you really believe that everyone criticising the church is either protestant or atheist? Do you think that only non-practising Catholics could condemn the protection of pedophiles?

The Church is defending itself at all costs. Those costs include the truth and the victims.
MWWSI 2017

The Iceman

Myles you made yourself quite clear, your agenda is the separation of Church and State, the abuse and the cover up are simply props for your soap box. You display no genuine apathy.

I don't stand by the Church for any of what happened. But I still stand before God, I still want to meet God in the Eucharist and I cannot do that without the Priests and the Church.

Do we need a cleansing, a reorganisation, a fresh start? Absolutely! I want to be part of it and I will be part of it.
I am by no means rubbishing the results of any report, or washing over anything that happened. But if you're going to beat a drum at least march with your own band.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

mylestheslasher

Quote from: The Iceman on July 15, 2011, 08:33:40 PM
Myles you made yourself quite clear, your agenda is the separation of Church and State, the abuse and the cover up are simply props for your soap box. You display no genuine apathy.

I don't stand by the Church for any of what happened. But I still stand before God, I still want to meet God in the Eucharist and I cannot do that without the Priests and the Church.

Do we need a cleansing, a reorganisation, a fresh start? Absolutely! I want to be part of it and I will be part of it.
I am by no means rubbishing the results of any report, or washing over anything that happened. But if you're going to beat a drum at least march with your own band.

Bullshit. I stand for the defence of all irish citizens from torture, abuse and rape. These victims were Irish citizens first and foremost. My "agenda" is a seperation of church and state to protect the future children of this country. My agenda is the absolute tough punishment of anyone who does this to kids and equally anyone who tries to cover it up. I have nothing against anything else you say in your post except in this country you should be doing this in your own time.

Main Street

While the findings of the Cloyne report are undoubtedly shocking, what is equally as shocking is the political and media response which reveals how infantile a society we have become.

Equally as shocking?

Where does body odour and idle gossip rank on your scale?  equally as shocking as the Cloyne report?

Eamonnca1

Matthew 6:6 - "But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."

Even if you are a person of faith, you've been had by these people claiming to act as the middle man between you and your almighty.  Collective public worship has no basis in scripture.