Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Main Street on July 14, 2011, 05:30:08 PM
Taoiseach Kenny doesn't mince his manure on the issue.

The Vatican's approach to clerical abuse inquiries in Ireland has been branded a disgrace by the Taoiseach today.
"I think this is absolutely disgraceful that the Vatican took the view that it did in respect of something that's as sensitive and as personal with such long-lasting difficulties for persons involved,"
"The law of the land should not be stopped by a collar or a crozier,"

Good words, but let's see him do something about it. Stop funding church building and kick the papal nuncios arse back where he came from.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Main Street on July 14, 2011, 05:30:08 PM
Taoiseach Kenny doesn't mince his manure on the issue.

The Vatican's approach to clerical abuse inquiries in Ireland has been branded a disgrace by the Taoiseach today.
"I think this is absolutely disgraceful that the Vatican took the view that it did in respect of something that's as sensitive and as personal with such long-lasting difficulties for persons involved,"
"The law of the land should not be stopped by a collar or a crozier,"

Great stuff! About time those sinister middle-aged "virgins" got what was coming to them.

mylestheslasher

Slipped from page 1 already! The silence of some on this board is deaffening. Maybe the old "it happened so long ago and their are fixes in place" excuse has worn a bit then when the latest revelations in this report site dates as recent as 2009.

Franko

There are 74 pages on the issue.

Moaning cnut.

Rouge_Diablo

I know its all been said before, but I just had to say something.

Happy now?

Tubberman

It's sickening and disgusting, and the Catholic Church is now despised in this country more than 'the Brits', which is some turnaround from say 20 years ago (even 10 years ago). If the Pope was to visit, he'd get a much worse reception from the public that the Queen did.

But there isn't a lot more that can be said - they've sunk so low and as people have said, they are beyond contempt at this stage.
It's good to see the Taoiseach talking straight on this - the law of the Catholic Church cannot be above the law of the land, it's ridiculous that that situation has been tolerated for so long.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

orangeman

Quote from: Tubberman on July 15, 2011, 01:45:32 PM
It's sickening and disgusting, and the Catholic Church is now despised in this country more than 'the Brits', which is some turnaround from say 20 years ago (even 10 years ago). If the Pope was to visit, he'd get a much worse reception from the public that the Queen did.

But there isn't a lot more that can be said - they've sunk so low and as people have said, they are beyond contempt at this stage.
It's good to see the Taoiseach talking straight on this - the law of the Catholic Church cannot be above the law of the land, it's ridiculous that that situation has been tolerated for so long.
[/quote
]

Croke Park will be a big enough venue I'd imagine unlike 1979 when all and sundry went to see John Paul.

Given the rollikings this goverment is giving out at the minute, the proposed visit next year might be put on hold until the dust setttles a bit.

Anyone else out there think that Sean Brady has come out of this very poorly and has been shown to be as big a liar as Magee and as, if not more devious and deceitful as the rest ?? In fact, he might just well be the conductor !

mylestheslasher

Franko - That is all you can muster on a thread about the rape of children and the cover up of this right from the top of the vatican down. You call me a moaning cnut. That tells us all a lot about you, in fact I suggest you put in an application to join the catholic church, you'd fit right in. The Cloyne report was published this week, long after most of the 74 pages on this thread were written. It outlines that the cover up of abuse was happening in 2009. It names bishop McGee that the great cardinal daly thought shouldn't bother resign as he could stay and fix the church. It names the papal nuncio and it names the vatican. If this is too harsh for you to deal with why don't you go over and comment on hot ladies thread instead of trying to make a personal attack on me.

This is a scandal 2nd to none in this country. It shows the catholic church for exactly what it is, a group only interested in power and influence. Everything else is secondary including little children. For me it also shows that the people of Ireland are so brainwashed from childhood by this church that they now worship a church instead of a God. I hope these horrific reports show people just what type of organisation they contribute to and maybe they will stop and think about what they are doing supporting it.

I was particularly interested to hear what the defenders of the catholic church think now when the cloyne report completely wrecks the idea that the church is really interested in mending its ways? That the Vatican worked against the laws of this republic. That sope bishops and cardinals in this country think they can stick 2 fingers up to the ideals of an Irish republic.

thejuice

Myself and herself are looking to get married in the next few years and to be honest I don't think I could put my foot inside the door of a church at the moment. Never liked the idea of just a registry wedding but it might have to do.

Pity we let them get away with so much for so long and that we let them exploit peoples faith to a point that they ran the place for so long.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Franko

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 15, 2011, 03:27:54 PM
Franko - That is all you can muster on a thread about the rape of children and the cover up of this right from the top of the vatican down. You call me a moaning cnut. That tells us all a lot about you, in fact I suggest you put in an application to join the catholic church, you'd fit right in. The Cloyne report was published this week, long after most of the 74 pages on this thread were written. It outlines that the cover up of abuse was happening in 2009. It names bishop McGee that the great cardinal daly thought shouldn't bother resign as he could stay and fix the church. It names the papal nuncio and it names the vatican. If this is too harsh for you to deal with why don't you go over and comment on hot ladies thread instead of trying to make a personal attack on me.

This is a scandal 2nd to none in this country. It shows the catholic church for exactly what it is, a group only interested in power and influence. Everything else is secondary including little children. For me it also shows that the people of Ireland are so brainwashed from childhood by this church that they now worship a church instead of a God. I hope these horrific reports show people just what type of organisation they contribute to and maybe they will stop and think about what they are doing supporting it.

I was particularly interested to hear what the defenders of the catholic church think now when the cloyne report completely wrecks the idea that the church is really interested in mending its ways? That the Vatican worked against the laws of this republic. That sope bishops and cardinals in this country think they can stick 2 fingers up to the ideals of an Irish republic.

Yeah yeah yeah... breathe you clown.

Did you expect the Cloyne Report to say anything different?  I'd say not.  And I'm sure neither did most of the rest of the posters on here.  That's why we haven't had another 10 pages of comments expressing shock and disgust.  We've seen it all before.  There's no need to comment again.

Do you think there's some sort of anti-victim GAABoard cover-up going on here or something???

Idiot.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Good to see Kenny, Gilmore and Shatter coming in heavy on the Vatican State and its long interference in the Irish Republic. Hopefully the leaders of the other political parties will come out and condemn the cover-ups and vile lawbreaking and harm to Irish citizens by a foreign state. I see one of the Labour T.D.s is looking to get pre-Dáil session prayers removed, about time. If we do eventually get a new constitution, god should be banished from it for good, his only place is in the fairytale section of the library.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Main Street

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 15, 2011, 05:17:47 PM
If we do eventually get a new constitution, god should be banished from it for good, his only place is in the fairytale section of the library.
God takes the rap  ::)

Tubberman

Quote from: Main Street on July 15, 2011, 05:31:13 PM
If we do eventually get a new constitution, god should be banished from it for good, his only place is in the fairytale section of the library.
God takes the rap  ::)

There should be no place for mention of any God in the constitution. This is supposed to a republic - people are free to believe in any god or none.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Franko on July 15, 2011, 04:16:10 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 15, 2011, 03:27:54 PM

Yeah yeah yeah... breathe you clown.

Did you expect the Cloyne Report to say anything different?  I'd say not.  And I'm sure neither did most of the rest of the posters on here.  That's why we haven't had another 10 pages of comments expressing shock and disgust.  We've seen it all before.  There's no need to comment again.

Do you think there's some sort of anti-victim GAABoard cover-up going on here or something???

Idiot.

You keep throwing insults at me, your only making a fool out of yourself. If you don't want to comment log out and f**k off.

mylestheslasher

Good to see Kenny, Gilmore and Shatter coming in heavy on the Vatican State and its long interference in the Irish Republic. Hopefully the leaders of the other political parties will come out and condemn the cover-ups and vile lawbreaking and harm to Irish citizens by a foreign state. I see one of the Labour T.D.s is looking to get pre-Dáil session prayers removed, about time. If we do eventually get a new constitution, god should be banished from it for good, his only place is in the fairytale section of the library.

Kenny could redeem himself some way in my eyes if he went the whole way on this and threw the papal nuncio out of the country or he will further let himself down by doing nothing only talk - we shall see. As for the other parties and correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard very little from them. The so called republican party (FF) have said what? As for the party i once belonged to (SF) they should be really going for the church now as they are clearly the enemy of any republic but maybe they are too scared of annoying what I can only describe as the hard line catholics that vote for them.