Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

mylestheslasher

Good old Pope refuses to accept resignations of 2 Bishops that covered up sexual abuse of children. Is there anyone left out there now that believes the church is looking after anything other than their own selfish interested. I expect Diarmuid Martin, the only man in a senior position with opinions remotely close to what the ordinary people think, will now be sidelined. Anyway, I thought it was only in a dictatorship that you could refuse to allow someone to resign, oh wait...

johnneycool

Maybe if they'd have waited a bit longer before making this announcement they'd have gotten away with it.

The arrogance of those in power within the Church never fails to amaze me now.

orangeman

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 12, 2010, 01:13:21 PM
Good old Pope refuses to accept resignations of 2 Bishops that covered up sexual abuse of children. Is there anyone left out there now that believes the church is looking after anything other than their own selfish interested. I expect Diarmuid Martin, the only man in a senior position with opinions remotely close to what the ordinary people think, will now be sidelined. Anyway, I thought it was only in a dictatorship that you could refuse to allow someone to resign, oh wait...

He already has.

muppet

It is really hardly to respect much less warm to this Pope.
MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

What reason did he give for rejecting their resignations? Crazy - how can these men show their faces in the diocese and expect life to go on.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 12, 2010, 11:15:24 PM
What reason did he give for rejecting their resignations? Crazy - how can these men show their faces in the diocese and expect life to go on.

No explanation was given. Sure why would he bother. Anyone that still has any time for the churches leaders at this stage is so blinkered that the pope could do and say anything and it would make no difference to them.

orangeman

Belgian Cardinal admits abuse cover up bid
Sunday, 29 August 2010 07:36
The Catholic Church in Belgium has admitted that a Cardinal attempted to prevent a sex abuse victim from going public with their story.

The incident happened at a meeting last April when the former head of the Catholic Church in Belgium, Cardinal Godfried Danneels, asked the victim to delay making a public statement until the bishop who abused him had retired.

The Bishop later admitted to the abuse and resigned.

AdvertisementIn transcripts, published in De Standaard yesterday, Danneels suggested the victim should make no public statement about the abuse until Bishop Roger Vangheluwe retired the following year.

He told the victim he believed a public announcement would not serve the interests of the victim or the bishop, the transcripts said.

'I don't know if there will be much to gain from making a lot of noise about this, neither for you nor for him.'

Vangheluwe resigned after admitting having abused the victim for a number of years, both as a priest and a bishop.

Danneels retired in January and has been questioned as a witness in an investigation into sexual abuse by the church in Belgium

mylestheslasher

Isn't it an amazing coincidence how the bishops in Ireland, Germany, usa and now Belgium all react the same way to sexual abuse of children. It's almost as if they were following orders from a central command.

Puckoon

http://www.click2houston.com/news/26006289/detail.html

Priest Arrested At Adult Video Store
Father Alberto A. Maullon Charged With Indecent Exposure

POSTED: Friday, December 3, 2010
UPDATED: 4:25 pm CST December 3, 2010

EmailPrintHOUSTON -- A Houston area priest has taken a leave of absence from his parish after being arrested at an adult video store a few miles from his church.

The Houston Police Department Vice Squad had undercover officers inside two adult video stores along the Gulf Freeway in southeast Houston when they said they encountered Father Alberto A. Maullon, 52, of Southeast Harris County.

Vice officers involved in the sting told KPRC Local 2 Maullon was the only person in a private viewing booth area of the Big City Adult Book Store at 10105 Gulf Freeway Wednesday night.

An undercover officer approached and exchanged a nod with him, followed by the locked door being opened for the undercover officer.

One officer involved in the sting said at that point "he whipped his junk out" and started masturbating for the undercover officer.

The priest, who was named head of St. Paul the Apostle Catholic Church in Nassau Bay in 1991, was quickly arrested.

Officers said he identified himself as a priest as they were booking him. On his booking paperwork, he listed his address on Point Lookout Drive, the same street where the church is located.

The Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston issued a statement about the arrest.

"Father Maullon has expressed deep sorrow for any pain or hurt caused by this event and has requested and been granted a leave of absence from his ministerial duties," a representative said.

"I ask you to join me in praying for St. Paul Parish and for Father Maullon as he addresses these very personal challenges with his priesthood," Cardinal Daniel DiNardo said.

Maullon posted a $1,000 bond and was released from jail Thursday. He's scheduled to appear before the judge in the Harris County Court at Law No. 4 on Dec. 9.

Main Street

Somewhat deranged activity between consenting adults but hardly abusive, never mind criminal.

The vice squad must be the pits for a US cop.

mylestheslasher

I see the dancing priest got what he deserved today - 16 years in jail. sc**bag.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1206/walsht.html

A former Dublin priest has been sentenced to 16 years in prison for abusing three young boys in the 1970s and 1980s.
The final four years of the sentence were suspended.
Tony Walsh was convicted by a jury at the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court last month of indecently assaulting and raping a boy over five years when his victim was between seven and 12 years old.
Walsh, who was a member of the All Priests Show, last week pleaded guilty to indecently assaulting two other boys.
Judge Frank O'Donnell imposed prison sentences ranging from four years for indecent assault to 16 years for the most serious offence. The sentences will run concurrently.
Walsh's senior counsel, David Keane, said he had been instructed to ask for leave to appeal the conviction and sentence in relation to the offences for which Walsh was found guilty by the jury.
Leave to appeal was refused.
Following the sentencing, Archbishop Diarmuid Martin issued a statement saying he hoped that 'the finality of the legal process will help bring them some sense of justice, of healing, of closure and hope for the future'.
'I can only unreservedly apologise to the victims of this man for what they endured and for the way in which the diocese failed them.'

Lawrence of Knockbride

Anyone out there anywhere know why such a **** would get 4 years of his sentence suspended?
Oh and I hope you'll all be praying hard for Father Jerkoff in Houston.

mylestheslasher

He probably got them suspended for admitting remorse or something. 16 yrs is quite a big sentence in comparison to what some of the other hoors got.

Main Street

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on December 06, 2010, 10:14:48 PM
Anyone out there anywhere know why such a **** would get 4 years of his sentence suspended?
Perhaps because he pleaded guilty.

Hound

Quote from: Main Street on December 07, 2010, 06:15:56 PM
Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on December 06, 2010, 10:14:48 PM
Perhaps because he pleaded guilty.
Nah, he pleaded guilty to some of the minor offences but not the major ones.

He got the 4 years off because some 'ologist did a report saying he was highly unlikely to re-offend.