Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

mylestheslasher

They still just don't get what they have done do they. Maybe they'll get it if the coffers run dry and I certainly hope they do (although the pope being richest man in the world means his coffer will never run dry).
What do catholics think about this pathetic statement, he didn't even bother his arse read it himself instead getting his secretary to do it. Surely rape of children and cover up of it would demand a more personal approach, no?
How anyone could respect this shower is so far beyond my comprehension I can't put it in words.

Where is his defence or otherwise of the failure of the vatican to respond to the commission
What about the people still in the church that were named, what is he going to do about them
What about his own direction he issued to the bishops about how to handle clerical abuse as posted earlier
Compensation, surely he could spare a few million of his stolen gold?
Why not a statement to the media, is he too much a coward to stand and take questions on the role of the vatican and its servants.

orangeman

Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 11, 2009, 04:28:35 PM
They still just don't get what they have done do they. Maybe they'll get it if the coffers run dry and I certainly hope they do (although the pope being richest man in the world means his coffer will never run dry).
What do catholics think about this pathetic statement, he didn't even bother his arse read it himself instead getting his secretary to do it. Surely rape of children and cover up of it would demand a more personal approach, no?
How anyone could respect this shower is so far beyond my comprehension I can't put it in words.

Where is his defence or otherwise of the failure of the vatican to respond to the commission
What about the people still in the church that were named, what is he going to do about them
What about his own direction he issued to the bishops about how to handle clerical abuse as posted earlier
Compensation, surely he could spare a few million of his stolen gold?
Why not a statement to the media, is he too much a coward to stand and take questions on the role of the vatican and its servants.

Their arrogance knows no bounds.

No surprise here.

longrunsthefox

Nope-they don't get it at all. So much for this tool going to Rome to step down.. still clinging on for dear life and now defending his behaviour...

Under fire Bishop Donal Murray to await Vatican fate 
Donal Murray will remain in Rome to await developments regarding his future, his spokesman has said.
It is the first public comment on behalf of the bishop since he went to Rome on Sunday to discuss his future.
Bishop Murray was one of a number of bishops criticised in the Murphy Report into the handling of clerical sexual abuse in the Dublin archdiocese.
The spokesman said that Bishop Murray had an hour-long meeting with Vatican officials on Monday.
The Murphy Report said that while serving as auxiliary bishop of Dublin, Bishop Murray had badly mishandled allegations of clerical child abuse. It said his failure to deal properly with one priest suspected of being a paedophile was "inexcusable".
The spokesman for Bishop Murray said that he had been criticised in three cases but that in none of those cases did he have an allegation that a child was being sexually abused.
He added that in five other cases where Bishop Murray was the first to receive a complaint, the report did not criticise his responses and that his management of the remaining one of the nine cases was not criticised either.

orangeman

Quote from: longrunsthefox on December 12, 2009, 05:02:43 PM
Nope-they don't get it at all. So much for this tool going to Rome to step down.. still clinging on for dear life and now defending his behaviour... Under fire Bishop Donal Murray to await Vatican fate 
Donal Murray will remain in Rome to await developments regarding his future, his spokesman has said.
It is the first public comment on behalf of the bishop since he went to Rome on Sunday to discuss his future.
Bishop Murray was one of a number of bishops criticised in the Murphy Report into the handling of clerical sexual abuse in the Dublin archdiocese.
The spokesman said that Bishop Murray had an hour-long meeting with Vatican officials on Monday.
The Murphy Report said that while serving as auxiliary bishop of Dublin, Bishop Murray had badly mishandled allegations of clerical child abuse. It said his failure to deal properly with one priest suspected of being a paedophile was "inexcusable".
The spokesman for Bishop Murray said that he had been criticised in three cases but that in none of those cases did he have an allegation that a child was being sexually abused.
He added that in five other cases where Bishop Murray was the first to receive a complaint, the report did not criticise his responses and that his management of the remaining one of the nine cases was not criticised either.

Keepng out of the road of the cameras and journalists trying to ride ( sorry ) out the storm. Hoping that it will just all go away.

Square Ball

So the Bishop of Limerick is the first to resign, reports that a few others are to follow
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Square Ball on December 17, 2009, 11:15:49 AM
So the Bishop of Limerick is the first to resign, reports that a few others are to follow

I would use word 'resign' if he had done it after the report was made public. the bollox had no choice

orangeman

I hope the rest follow suit.

They're being dragged along as usual.

Denn Forever

Murray has resigned and call on 4 other bishops named in the report to resign.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1217/abuse.html
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

longrunsthefox

They should be arrested and charged with complicity in the abuse of children. 

muppet

Quote from: longrunsthefox on December 17, 2009, 01:54:27 PM
They should be arrested and charged with complicity in the abuse of children.

No one in power ever gets arrested in Ireland, don't hold your breath.
MWWSI 2017

longrunsthefox

It's like it's ok now he resigned. If anyone else covered up for paedophiles they'd be arrested whether they resigned their job or not. 

orangeman

2 down !!

Second Irish bishop resigns over abuse scandal report 

The Catholic church in Ireland has been rocked by the abuse scandal
A second Irish bishop has resigned after a damning report which found that Catholic leaders concealed child abuse.

The Bishop of Kildare, Dr James Moriarty, announced he had offered his resignation to the Pope on Wednesday.

Despite previously insisting he should not resign, Bishop Moriarty said he accepted that he should have challenged Church handling of abuse by priests.

"I know that any action now on my part does not take away the suffering that people have endured," he said.

"I again apologise to all the survivors and their families.

"I have today offered my resignation as Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin to the Holy Father.

"I hope it honours the truth that the survivors have so bravely uncovered and opens the way to a better future for all concerned," he said in a statement.
The report subjected him to implied criticism for not doing enough to find out all detail about an alleged abuser.

stew

Quote from: orangeman on December 23, 2009, 05:52:41 PM
2 down !!

Second Irish bishop resigns over abuse scandal report 

The Catholic church in Ireland has been rocked by the abuse scandal
A second Irish bishop has resigned after a damning report which found that Catholic leaders concealed child abuse.

The Bishop of Kildare, Dr James Moriarty, announced he had offered his resignation to the Pope on Wednesday.

Despite previously insisting he should not resign, Bishop Moriarty said he accepted that he should have challenged Church handling of abuse by priests.

"I know that any action now on my part does not take away the suffering that people have endured," he said.

"I again apologise to all the survivors and their families.

"I have today offered my resignation as Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin to the Holy Father.

"I hope it honours the truth that the survivors have so bravely uncovered and opens the way to a better future for all concerned," he said in a statement.
The report subjected him to implied criticism for not doing enough to find out all detail about an alleged abuser.

To think that they are bending over backwards to make jp 2 a saint is repugnant in the extreme. He was responsible for the Church during much of these awful happenings around the world and they want a sainthood for the man?

The Catholic Church in Ireland have got their last penny from me, they are disgusting and this Pope is as inept and spineless as his predecessors.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

mylestheslasher

I'm glad these two have resigned but I would say the didn't do so with any dignity what so ever. If they had any dignity or repect for victims they would have done so immediately after the report was published. Murray spouted some crap about how he wanted his priests to decide which was code for stalling to see what way the wind would blow in Rome. Moriarty got a nasty public backlash in Carlow (and fair play to them) where parents were going to refuse to send their kids to confirmations if he attended. Make no mistake, the welfare of victims is not on these guys radars, its just meaningless words. Even so, it is better than them hanging on which no doubt some of the last 3 will try and do to the bitter end.

ardmhachaabu

myles, I am glad they both resigned also.  I believe they did the Church a disservice by their actions to begin with and it's only right they are no longer involved in decision-making positions

stew, I wouldn't be so sure that JPII knew everything that was going on in the Church worldwide at any one point in time.  That would be a tall order for anyone, never mind a Pope who would have other things to contend with which would be more important to the Church - I mean the spiritual welfare of the Church is any Pope's primary responsibility
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something