Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

theskull1

Yes to those that eat the alter rails, the institution is more important than the moral authority it possesses. This makes them as culpable as the protectors when you extrapolate the argument.

Alot of people are "simply" creatures of habit and do not possess the horse power to or they have a fear of thinking for themselves. They'll just want to get back to normality asap. Those who are religeous but do think for themselves I would guess will not go back if this is as far as the church is prepared to go and explore their spirituality elsewhere.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

pintsofguinness

Have you a link? Is it radio 1 he's on?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

orangeman

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 02, 2009, 10:14:48 AM
Have you a link? Is it radio 1 he's on?

http://www.rte.ie/radio/liveplayer2_av.html?2_real,http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/live/radio/2fm.smil,real,200

Still on now.

Shocking IF true.

The priest who allegedly was responsible was sent to Botstwana of all places. Not Donegal.

pintsofguinness

Aye I got it orangeman.  Thanks.
Making the hair stand on the back of my neck!

mylestheslasher

Can't listen to the radio here, can any of ye summarise?

pintsofguinness

I only caught bits of it but they were on about the murder of Bernadette Connolly and about monastery van being seen in the area at the time, the suspected involvement of someone in the monastery, the file being shown to members of the clergy and about one of the priests (suspect) being moved to Botswana.

theskull1

Do they podcast or "listen again"on RTE?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

mylestheslasher

Is this bishop for real. Not in his nature to pass judgement??. Is that not what all priests and bishops do on a daily basis. That aside it is quite clear what Donal Murray did while bishop. He took a priest moved into his region from Wicklow where he abused kids. He(the priest) then began abusing kids in Donnecarney and threatened to kill them and their parents if they told anyone. When parents reported this to the Bishop he eventually launched an "investigation" (after ignoring the complaints firstly) which was described in the report as "totally inappropriate even by the standards of the day". The priest was then moved on again where he continued to abuse for another 10 years. It is quite cut and dry - the bishop put the church ahead of raping and molestation of 10 year old alter boys. Walsh may come across as a genuine sort of guy but his words of sorrow are worthless unless he does the right thing and requests to removes this man from the church - otherwise quite simply he is full of shit. As for Murray himself, a total sc**bag that hasn't even the courage to quit when an independant report has just effectively stated he knowingly harboured paedophilles. No amount of other "good work" balances out these acts.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/tearful-walsh-apologises--for-head-on-a-plate-remark-1960609.html

Tearful Walsh apologises for 'head on a plate' remark

Wednesday December 02 2009
THE Bishop of Killaloe Dr Willie Walsh broke down and cried on live radio yesterday after saying that he didn't want to pass judgment on others.

Dr Walsh broke down after stating: "Part of my nature is never really to judge anyone else. Part of the reason for that is that I am only too conscious of my own frailty and failures, so I don't want to pass judgment on anyone else."

An under-pressure Dr Walsh was responding to the fallout from his remarks on RTE radio, on Monday, when he warned against a desire to get "a head on a plate" over calls for the resignation of the Bishop of Limerick, Dr Donal Murray.

Yesterday, on Clare FM's 'Morning Focus' programme, presenter John Cooke was forced to take an early ad break to allow a weeping Dr Walsh compose himself.

Dr Walsh revealed that he has received a lot of phone calls from clerical sex abuse victims after his comments on Monday -- objecting to what he said.

"I'm very sorry for that and I apologise unreservedly for any hurt that I have caused, particularly to any victim," he said.

"The important thing here is the people who have suffered so much, and who are still carrying hurt," Dr Walsh added.

He admitted his remark about a "head on a plate" was "an unfortunate phrase".

He said: "What I thought I was calling for was a fair hearing, a balanced hearing.

"Obviously, other people think very differently. Other people saw that in some way maybe my condoning a failure to deal with this issue. I don't condone any failures to deal with this issue, but obviously, it came across the wrong way and caused hurt to some people."

"For that I apologise unreservedly; it is the last thing I would want to do."

Dr Walsh was away on business for the remainder of yesterday and was unavailable for further comment.

- Gordon Deegan

Irish Independent

longrunsthefox

F** Willie Walsh... he's crying for himself. Didn't cry too much when the report came out. I spit on the priest rapists and the bishops that covered it up.

orangeman

Quote from: longrunsthefox on December 01, 2009, 02:12:52 PM
This boy must be kicking himself he didn't join the priesthood...
Boxing coach is jailed for abuse
Frank Mulligan
Mulligan is already serving a sentence for abusing children
A former boxing coach from County Monaghan has been sentenced to six and half years in jail for sexually abusing children.
Frank Mulligan, 64, from Smithboro, pleaded guilty to the offences which took place between 1997 and 2002.
He is already serving a seven year sentence for abusing two other boys.
Mulligan was once one of Ireland's most respected and successful amateur boxing coaches, once training former world featherweight champion Barry McGuigan.
Sentencing him, the judge said the abuse was "a heinous crime".

He should have put about 20 stone of weight on and avoided the clink like this bucko !!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8393463.stm

Caid

More bad press for the CC:

A Catholic priest from County Cork has apologised for foul-mouthed comments he made about Irish tax officials.

Fr Tadgh O'Donovan had used very robust language in a newspaper interview to criticise officials after he was named as a tax defaulter.

He was included on a list of 76 defaulters published by Ireland's Revenue Commissioners on Tuesday.

Fr O'Donovan has apologised for his remarks, which he said were made "in the heat of the moment".

"I unreservedly withdraw what I said about them in relation to the timing of the publication of the list, the offensive allegation that they were responsible for suicides, the very intemperate tone and obscene language of my comments and the statement that the Revenue Commissioners were inconsiderate and inhumane," he said.

Fr O'Donovan added that he did not realise his remarks would be published.

Archbishop of Cloyne Dermot Clifford earlier demanded that Fr O'Donovan make a "a full and immediate apology".

The Revenue Commissioners revealed that the priest had made a settlement of 433,475 euros.

When the Irish Daily Star interviewed Fr O'Donovan about the matter he heaped abuse on the Revenue Commissioners.

It is not Fr O'Donovan's first disagreement with the tax authorities.

In March 2008, he was fined 6,000 euros at Cork Circuit Criminal Court on ten charges relating to his tax affairs - after agreeing a separate 213,000 euros settlement
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

mylestheslasher

Interesting comment from the times...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2009/1203/1224259993544.html

Church and State relations

THE BISHOPS named in the Dublin diocese report must be made accountable for their behaviour. There is, nevertheless, a danger that in focusing in particular on the position of Bishop Donal Murray, we may miss a central point. Ultimate responsibility for the way in which the safety of children was so recklessly ignored does not lie with any individual bishop. It does not lie even with the Irish hierarchy as a whole. It lies with the Vatican.

We know this because the approach to allegations of child abuse was consistent, not simply between bishops or across Irish dioceses, but around the world. There was a way of doing things – keeping the crimes secret and moving the abusers on to another parish until the whole pattern began to repeat itself. It does not absolve Donal Murray from personal responsibility to say that he was part of this system. Equally, however, the mindset behind the system would not be fundamentally altered by his resignation.

It is in the light of the primary role of the Vatican that we must see the unwillingness of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith and of the papal nuncio to respond to requests for information from the Murphy commission. The Taoiseach, in a painfully deferential statement in the Dáil, has endorsed these refusals as acts of "good faith" consistent with diplomatic norms. This submissiveness is entirely inappropriate to the leader of a republic, some of whose most vulnerable citizens have been grievously harmed by the policies and practices of the Holy See. It also shows either an unwillingness or an inability to grasp the nature of the scandal with which his Government is supposed to be dealing.

The Vatican does not do things lightly. When it refused to deal with the commission except through diplomatic contacts at the level of one state to another, it was not being precious. It was asserting a claim that is crucial to its efforts to avoid the consequences of its own policies. The insistence on being treated as a state rather than as a church is the key to its claim of sovereign immunity. The context for this claim is a case in the US in which the circuit court of appeals ruled that the Vatican could be sued by victims of an Irish priest. The US supreme court is currently considering whether to hear an appeal from the Vatican, which is hoping to avoid a wave of lawsuits from victims in the US.

It is quite disgraceful that the Taoiseach should play along with this manoeuvre by endorsing the Vatican's behaviour towards the commission. If the Vatican is indeed to be regarded simply as a foreign state, then it is a state that has colluded in the commission of vile crimes against Irish citizens. Those citizens have a right to expect their Government to mount at the very least a strong formal protest such as the withdrawal of our Ambassador to the Holy See. And if it is not to be regarded as a state, then it should be seen as an organisation with deep roots in this society and therefore answerable to the Irish people for its conduct. Either way, the Taoiseach's humbly supine posture is as insulting to the victims as it is humiliating to the Republic.

orangeman

Quote from: theskull1 on December 02, 2009, 12:00:43 PM
Do they podcast or "listen again"on RTE?

Go to 43 minutes - from there onwards - also listen to the journalist who has investigated this case after Kerry is finished talking.

http://2fm.rte.ie/show/get_epg_schedule_item/11/2009-12-02

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on December 01, 2009, 01:33:57 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 01, 2009, 12:59:10 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on December 01, 2009, 10:25:36 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 29, 2009, 09:50:51 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 29, 2009, 02:01:43 AM
Jesus lads how many times can youse rehash this stuff!

What happened was disgraceful and everyone wants justice, but some on here are just using this as an excuse for their anti catholic/church tirades. Let the courts settle it. As for the compo, FFS have we all turned American!

Sorry for boring you with tales of abuse of children and cover ups from the vatican down. I know I should be over talking shite about Celtic or something more important. This has been out there most of the week and you have chosen to comment at 2-30am on Sunday morning after probably a skip of drink (haven't you made a bollix of yourself doing this before too). 2 lines dismissing the gravity of the thing. Maybe when you take your head out of your arse you might let us know about what this justice "everyone" wants is? Hardly anyone has mentioned compensation but only someone that thinks the corrupt catholic church is more important than the wrecked lives and lost innocence of children. People like you make me depressed about the future of this country such is the grip a bunch of clergy have on you. As I said before, you don't need the catholic church to follow the word of god or be a christian. I suggest you read the artcile posted above and ask yourself are you one of the people that the church controls.

Myles what has Celtic got to do with this?
When I post on here has fcuk all to do with you.
No never made a bollix of myself on here, I have stated my opinion on things which others have disagreed on (but sure you continue to "play the man").
FFS church funds/assets and compo have been mentioned all through this thread, maybe you should take your own biased head from your own hole!
As for Justice, that is something for the courts to decide on.
Finally - so because I have different views then you on the Church, I'm controlled - thanks for clearing that up for me.  ::)

You posted on this within the hour of posting on the "right I'm pissed thread" which tells me a little about the type of guy you are. Plus you tend to start up a load of meaningless threads on a Saturday night after a few scoops, no. Drink loosens the tongue they say but with you it loosens your fingers and a few screws in your head. I presume you are posting sober now so at least that is something.
There has hardly been a mention of compo since the latest report came out - except by you. And yes, you are controlled in my opinion based on the fact that you totally ignore the bigger picture of what has happened here and prefer to lay sole blame with the paedophille priests only.
Again playing the man.  ::)
Meaningless threads on a Saturday night - feck me I thought this was a discussion forum!
You know nothing about me, and can tell even less about my personna from this discussion forum, fyi.
I'll be interested to know where I made a "bollix" of myself??
Finally where did I - "totally ignore the bigger picture of what has happened here and prefer to lay sole blame with the paedophille priests only." - or is that you spoofing again?

P.s Still want to know the revelence of Celtic or what I said in my "late night post" that you disagreed with? Would it be where I said it was disgraceful or maybe when I said we want justice?

You wrote the following on the "right i'm pissed, are you?" thread.

"Not pissed tonight  , but here's a wee message for Myles, seeing as he ignored my last post on the - beat the Catholics thread - 

Catholic Templum silicis , quod mos barbaricus vos. "

Given the gravity of the issues on this thread I initially decided not to bother with a simpleton like you but against my better judgement I will explain my post in the small hope you might understand it.

Your first line posted (Jesus lads how many times can youse rehash this stuff!) was offensive, insensitive to victims, childish and dismissive of this very important issue - the issue being the rape, molestation and abuse of innocent children by paedophille priests and the cover up of the same acts for decades by the bishops, cardinals and vatican. You then continued to dismiss the discussion by claiming "some on here are just using this as an excuse for their anti catholic/church tirades" which is unfair as by and large people on here are commenting on the issues uncovered in 2 different independent reports!

You posted this idiotic post at 2-30am after being out drinking - correct? I have to ask myself what sort of person avoids this thread until the drink is on board and then comes on belittling it. Perhaps such a person would be better of slobbering on the Celtic thread like you normally do, that is the only reference I made to your beloved Celtic.

Where have you made a bollix of yourself? Well here for a start. Plus your idiotic drunken late night threads are also embarrassing and say more about the poster than the topics for the most part.

You totally ignore the bigger picture by failing to comment on the cover up and how it goes all the way to the center of power in the catholic church in the vatican. You say you want justice but you don't bother to say what that means. For example, would you agree that the papal nuncio should be expelled from the country for failing to even bother respond to a commission set up to examine abuse perpetrated by its member within this Sovereign Republic. Should all bishops be prosecuted for failing to pass information to the gardai? What is this justice you want? Justice and mealy mouthed statements about it being "disgraceful" mean nothing unless you support the actions required.

Finally, you go onto another thread and belittle the whole topic again by hilariously renaming this thread from "clerical abuse" to "beat the catholics". Quite frankly you are a pathetic excuse of an irishman and after typing all the above I know I am only wasting my time with a buffoon like you.