Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

stephenite

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on December 01, 2009, 10:58:36 AM
but imho the Catholic church still has an important role to play in Irish daily life.

imho they shouldn't be let. But I feel the slow march of time will take care of that, their influence decreases greatly with every generation.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on December 01, 2009, 10:25:36 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 29, 2009, 09:50:51 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 29, 2009, 02:01:43 AM
Jesus lads how many times can youse rehash this stuff!

What happened was disgraceful and everyone wants justice, but some on here are just using this as an excuse for their anti catholic/church tirades. Let the courts settle it. As for the compo, FFS have we all turned American!

Sorry for boring you with tales of abuse of children and cover ups from the vatican down. I know I should be over talking shite about Celtic or something more important. This has been out there most of the week and you have chosen to comment at 2-30am on Sunday morning after probably a skip of drink (haven't you made a bollix of yourself doing this before too). 2 lines dismissing the gravity of the thing. Maybe when you take your head out of your arse you might let us know about what this justice "everyone" wants is? Hardly anyone has mentioned compensation but only someone that thinks the corrupt catholic church is more important than the wrecked lives and lost innocence of children. People like you make me depressed about the future of this country such is the grip a bunch of clergy have on you. As I said before, you don't need the catholic church to follow the word of god or be a christian. I suggest you read the artcile posted above and ask yourself are you one of the people that the church controls.

Myles what has Celtic got to do with this?
When I post on here has fcuk all to do with you.
No never made a bollix of myself on here, I have stated my opinion on things which others have disagreed on (but sure you continue to "play the man").
FFS church funds/assets and compo have been mentioned all through this thread, maybe you should take your own biased head from your own hole!
As for Justice, that is something for the courts to decide on.
Finally - so because I have different views then you on the Church, I'm controlled - thanks for clearing that up for me.  ::)

You posted on this within the hour of posting on the "right I'm pissed thread" which tells me a little about the type of guy you are. Plus you tend to start up a load of meaningless threads on a Saturday night after a few scoops, no. Drink loosens the tongue they say but with you it loosens your fingers and a few screws in your head. I presume you are posting sober now so at least that is something.
There has hardly been a mention of compo since the latest report came out - except by you. And yes, you are controlled in my opinion based on the fact that you totally ignore the bigger picture of what has happened here and prefer to lay sole blame with the paedophille priests only.

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on December 01, 2009, 10:46:14 AM
So you'll sit in silence on this issue and exert no pressure on the church at a local level from the inside whilst you wait for the state and the courts to deliver justice like they've been doing for years  :-\

Do you not think that it is imperative that every church congregation DEMANDS detailed investigations be carried out in every diocese and that proper punishment should be given to everybody involved if the catholic church as an institution is to survive or is the burying the head in the sand approach the only way devout catholics can deal with this trauma?

Do you honestly believe the hierarchy of the church care what the congregation actually think or demand?

They'll only sit up and take notice when the congregation stop paying their stipends in those wee envelopes.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 01, 2009, 12:59:10 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on December 01, 2009, 10:25:36 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 29, 2009, 09:50:51 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 29, 2009, 02:01:43 AM
Jesus lads how many times can youse rehash this stuff!

What happened was disgraceful and everyone wants justice, but some on here are just using this as an excuse for their anti catholic/church tirades. Let the courts settle it. As for the compo, FFS have we all turned American!

Sorry for boring you with tales of abuse of children and cover ups from the vatican down. I know I should be over talking shite about Celtic or something more important. This has been out there most of the week and you have chosen to comment at 2-30am on Sunday morning after probably a skip of drink (haven't you made a bollix of yourself doing this before too). 2 lines dismissing the gravity of the thing. Maybe when you take your head out of your arse you might let us know about what this justice "everyone" wants is? Hardly anyone has mentioned compensation but only someone that thinks the corrupt catholic church is more important than the wrecked lives and lost innocence of children. People like you make me depressed about the future of this country such is the grip a bunch of clergy have on you. As I said before, you don't need the catholic church to follow the word of god or be a christian. I suggest you read the artcile posted above and ask yourself are you one of the people that the church controls.

Myles what has Celtic got to do with this?
When I post on here has fcuk all to do with you.
No never made a bollix of myself on here, I have stated my opinion on things which others have disagreed on (but sure you continue to "play the man").
FFS church funds/assets and compo have been mentioned all through this thread, maybe you should take your own biased head from your own hole!
As for Justice, that is something for the courts to decide on.
Finally - so because I have different views then you on the Church, I'm controlled - thanks for clearing that up for me.  ::)

You posted on this within the hour of posting on the "right I'm pissed thread" which tells me a little about the type of guy you are. Plus you tend to start up a load of meaningless threads on a Saturday night after a few scoops, no. Drink loosens the tongue they say but with you it loosens your fingers and a few screws in your head. I presume you are posting sober now so at least that is something.
There has hardly been a mention of compo since the latest report came out - except by you. And yes, you are controlled in my opinion based on the fact that you totally ignore the bigger picture of what has happened here and prefer to lay sole blame with the paedophille priests only.
Again playing the man.  ::)
Meaningless threads on a Saturday night - feck me I thought this was a discussion forum!
You know nothing about me, and can tell even less about my personna from this discussion forum, fyi.
I'll be interested to know where I made a "bollix" of myself??
Finally where did I - "totally ignore the bigger picture of what has happened here and prefer to lay sole blame with the paedophille priests only." - or is that you spoofing again?

P.s Still want to know the revelence of Celtic or what I said in my "late night post" that you disagreed with? Would it be where I said it was disgraceful or maybe when I said we want justice?
Tbc....

longrunsthefox

This boy must be kicking himself he didn't join the priesthood...

Boxing coach is jailed for abuse
Frank Mulligan
Mulligan is already serving a sentence for abusing children
A former boxing coach from County Monaghan has been sentenced to six and half years in jail for sexually abusing children.
Frank Mulligan, 64, from Smithboro, pleaded guilty to the offences which took place between 1997 and 2002.
He is already serving a seven year sentence for abusing two other boys.
Mulligan was once one of Ireland's most respected and successful amateur boxing coaches, once training former world featherweight champion Barry McGuigan.
Sentencing him, the judge said the abuse was "a heinous crime".

gerrykeegan

More abuse

The tax defaulters' list, which relates to settlements made between July and the end of September, included a settlement of €433,475 made by Cork priest Fr Tadhg O'Donovan for undeclared income tax and capital gains tax.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

bingobus

Quote from: longrunsthefox on December 01, 2009, 02:12:52 PM
This boy must be kicking himself he didn't join the priesthood...

Boxing coach is jailed for abuse
Frank Mulligan
Mulligan is already serving a sentence for abusing children
A former boxing coach from County Monaghan has been sentenced to six and half years in jail for sexually abusing children.
Frank Mulligan, 64, from Smithboro, pleaded guilty to the offences which took place between 1997 and 2002.
He is already serving a seven year sentence for abusing two other boys.
Mulligan was once one of Ireland's most respected and successful amateur boxing coaches, once training former world featherweight champion Barry McGuigan.
Sentencing him, the judge said the abuse was "a heinous crime".

Know a lad from the area this sc**bag is from and some of the tales he had would scare the shite outa ya.

6 1/2 years and he'll not see another 2/3 of them. Some justice.

shambo

yesterdays Irish News i noticed that it was 8/9 pages in before any talk about the child abuse with the clergy.

it must not be big enough news, they even had an article about Ian Junior saying that they will take the ones who want to leave the Chatholic church!!!

theskull1

Of course some may call it laughable but does anybody else feel at times like this that must be some secret body linked to the media/government which manages the "public interest" (whatever that is) and limits the damage which could be done by over exuberent campaigns against what would be considered critical social institutions?

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

mylestheslasher

Quote from: shambo on December 01, 2009, 04:38:45 PM
yesterdays Irish News i noticed that it was 8/9 pages in before any talk about the child abuse with the clergy.

it must not be big enough news, they even had an article about Ian Junior saying that they will take the ones who want to leave the Chatholic church!!!

Well that is truly pathetic. As bad as our Southern press can be at least they have the stones to stand up and shout this from the roof tops. Perhaps the northern media is afraid to show one side in a bad light versus the other side?

Maguire01

Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 01, 2009, 06:14:28 PM

Well that is truly pathetic. As bad as our Southern press can be at least they have the stones to stand up and shout this from the roof tops. Perhaps the northern media is afraid to show one side in a bad light versus the other side?
Eh, the story was a few days old by yesterday - there was plenty of coverage in Saturday's paper.
It was released last Thursday, so I assume it was covered on Friday too.
Calm down there.

shambo

Quote from: Maguire01 on December 01, 2009, 06:46:58 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 01, 2009, 06:14:28 PM

Eh, the story was a few days old by yesterday - there was plenty of coverage in Saturday's paper.
It was released last Thursday, so I assume it was covered on Friday too.
Calm down there.

if the DUP were covering up paedos it would be front page for weeks!!! oh wait they did :P Kincora affair

longrunsthefox

Shambo-what the hell has that got to do with anything? Kinora was evil ... church coverup of child rapes is evil  Wats the big smiley face about?

Pangurban

The Bishops have stated that they are putting systems in place to ensure this will not happen again. An idiotic statement, particularly from a group of Men with a firm grounding in Philosophy, Theology and sociology. Hopefully they will make it more difficult to happen again, but their insights into the nature of sinful man, should reveal to them that it most certainly will happen again, and they need to be vigilant and prepared to act swiftly. I have no confidence in the ability of any of the present incumbents to cope with future problems in this area.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Pangurban on December 02, 2009, 01:04:10 AM
The Bishops have stated that they are putting systems in place to ensure this will not happen again. An idiotic statement, particularly from a group of Men with a firm grounding in Philosophy, Theology and sociology. Hopefully they will make it more difficult to happen again, but their insights into the nature of sinful man, should reveal to them that it most certainly will happen again, and they need to be vigilant and prepared to act swiftly. I have no confidence in the ability of any of the present incumbents to cope with future problems in this area.

Presumably they mean that the cover up (or miss handling as they would like it to be called) would not happen again. For that to happen we would have to see a vatican down approach to the issue which is clearly not going to happen. If this disgraceful behaviour were to happen tomorrow in some other country in say South America, I believe it would all pan out exactly the same. The only thing that will stop it here is that the church knows it will not survive these scandals - self preservation as per usual.