Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

T Fearon

Today he would be guided by the robust policies in place but if they weren't in place he might well inform statutory authorities judging that his previous communication to in house seniors was ineffective.

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on March 08, 2016, 07:29:52 PM
Yawn.For your information

1.Margaret Byrne (was forced by her billionaire boss to) resign because she was head of the organisation when she failed to act decisively on hearing paedophile allegations against an employee.

2.Sean Brady was a junior priest 40 years ago when he recorded as then unsubstantiated allegations against a priest made by young boys.

3.Sean Brady reported his findings to his superiors.

4.Margaret Byrne did not report allegations to other members of the organisation she headed up.

5.Margaret Byrne as CEO had the power and authority to act decisively

6.Sean Brady as a junior priest had no power to act decisively.
Even conceding your point number six, he wasn't exactly a dynamo when he had the clout to do something.

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on March 08, 2016, 08:59:59 PM
I am not excusing the Catholic church's historic mishandling of child abuse,but if I was a young priest charged with a horrific task of recording allegations of child abuse,back in 1975,and I reported accurately my findings to my superiors,I would have a clear conscience.
Tony I see the logic of your argument in relation to a point. However he was a minister of the gospel, a priest follower of a man who exposed the hypocrisy of the ruling Jewish priesthood. He purported to advise mere ordinary Catholics to follow in that man's footsteps but was guilty of not doing so himself. He put his career and preferment over the safety of children. And who knows by his inaction put himself forward as a trusted company man and in line for his promotions. To say otherwise is to condone the crime of concealment perpetrated by the Church.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on March 09, 2016, 06:41:01 AM
I have said on many occasions the church's mishandling of child abuse in the past was woeful.Senior Church people,like Bishop John Mc Areavey have admitted that the impact on victims was not even considered or indeed understood and that shamefully the priority was the protection of the Church's reputation.

But the savage vilification of Sean Brady in particular is equally disgraceful.He reported what he heard,as a Junior Priest,to his superiors,in the belief that they would act accordingly.

Noble words from McAreavey, but real action on the ground, especially in terms of handing over documents sought by the various investigations, would be far more noble.

But Brady hasn't even come close to noble words, let alone noble actions. An apology 40 years late, after being forced by the courts to release documents that changed his story from 'notary' to 'investigator', has no value. 

Brady is extremely fortunate in my opinion that he is not investigated properly. He recently claimed he didn't even know there was a Gárda investigation into Smyth. How could he not know, when he was conducting an investigation himself? Even if his role was a completely selfish one to protect the Church and nothing else, surely it was vital to find out if the Gárdaí knew? If he he had an ounce of consideration for the victims surely he should have check to see if the Gárdaí were aware?

I'm afraid Brady's actions speak louder than words. He deserves all of the (reasonable) criticism that comes his way in my opinion.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Come to think of it, if (no link from Fearon as usual) McAreavey said this then it would show there is still a serious problem:

QuoteSenior Church people,like Bishop John Mc Areavey have admitted that the impact on victims was not even considered or indeed understood and that shamefully the priority was the protection of the Church's reputation.

IF this is true then he has admitted that the Church had nothing to with connecting God and His people, in fact it had nothing to do with either. It merely served itself.

'...the priority was the protection of the Church's reputation...'. That is crystal clear. Only a few decades ago. So this would mean that for almost 2,000 years the priority of the Church was itself.

However I suspect that what he actually said will turn out to be slightly different. Any chance of that link Tony please?
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

He said it during a sabbatical in the last year or so.

T Fearon

Apples the Catholic Church is not a career,there is no money,status,ego involved,it's a vocation and ministry.I think even Popes and Cardinals would prefer to avoid these high offices if they had a choice.

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on March 09, 2016, 05:38:47 PM
Apples the Catholic Church is not a career,there is no money,status,ego involved,it's a vocation and ministry.I think even Popes and Cardinals would prefer to avoid these high offices if they had a choice.
Jesus Tony you are naive.

From the Bunker

Jez Tony, Next you'll be telling us they don't have genetals!

The Iceman

there's probably been 40 pages of discussion and 100 pages of tony going around in circles with everyone making the same points over and over again.
Can Tony perhaps be locked out of the thread or the board?  this is all getting old....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

No wides

Yet they are one of the richest organisations in the world.

muppet

Quote from: No wides on March 10, 2016, 03:48:41 PM

Yet they are one of the richest organisations in the world.

And yet some of them won't even resign when everyone wants them to.

Go figure!
MWWSI 2017

Franko

Quote from: The Iceman on March 10, 2016, 03:40:12 PM
there's probably been 40 pages of discussion and 100 pages of tony going around in circles with everyone making the same points over and over again.
Can Tony perhaps be locked out of the thread or the board?  this is all getting old....

I said this 20 pages ago but it seems that Tony's WUMming knows no bounds and others just can't resist an argument.

T Fearon

So it's censorship for those who don't subscribe to anti catholicism?

No wides

How much does it cost to become a saint, maybe the money was just resting in their accounts - yeah they all do it for a vocation my hole.

Pope imposes new rules for saint-making after 'abuses' of system.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35775405