Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

seafoid

134 pages with at least 50 by t fearon
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Main Street

Quote from: T Fearon on January 31, 2016, 07:32:41 PM
Ffs,with the modern day scrutiny on account of past mistakes it would be an act of complete lunacy for anyone in the Church to even contemplate covering up child abuse in the present day.

A bit of humility and acknowledgement of the progress made,from the anti Catholic constituency,wouldn't go amiss.
The appalling vista logic.

Applesisapples

I have no time for Tony's blind faith in the Church for various reasons. Nor do I believe that every priest and bishop in the Church covered up and colluded in child abuse. Some of the vitriol on here from posters taking every opportunity to put the boot in to the Church is as bad as the "mad dog shite" that Tony is supposedly infected with. In relation to Father Gallagher I suspect that there is more to it than he is saying. There are always three sides to a story the truth being the third. It would be informative to see an unbiased assessment of what went on in West Palm Beach.

Main Street

Educate yourself, do your own research and read the evidence.
The Florida church are up to all the old Catholic Church tricks, every devious ruse is being used to cover their tracks and blacken Gallagher with half truths and lies.
The clues ring louder than Big Ben.

Tony is becoming more deranged as time passes by. Here  his strategy is to avoid examining the facts by roguishly retreating under British establishment's  "appalling vista" scenario.
And it should also be noted that Tony also has an obsessive fixation with Thatcherite economic morals.

Who could have guessed, that over all these years, he really yearned to be a British establishment lickspittle ;D

No wides

He openly wants to stay British yet stand to attention at the GAA matches looking at what he perceives to be a foreign flag.

T Fearon

Yawn,I have no desire to stay with Britain,but like the rest of you I am stuck here,primarily due to the fact that the 26 counties and its people do not want unity,therefore I am willing to think outside the box in order to make the best out of constitutional reality.

There is no way anyone with half a brain cell,in the Catholic Church,even if they were so inclined out of some sense of misguided devotion,would even contemplate trying to cover up child abuse.

Main Street

Quote from: T Fearon on February 01, 2016, 06:59:49 PM
There is no way anyone with half a brain cell,in the Catholic Church,even if they were so inclined out of some sense of misguided devotion,would even contemplate trying to cover up child abuse.
That's the appalling vista argument again, a proven defective argument that was  used to defend the realm against evidence that it was corrupt.

seafoid

the state has paid 1 bn, religious orders 211m in compensation to all the people who were raped in the name of god.
joe taxpayer will take another one for the team. Of course.
The abuse continues
  http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/orders-paid-sixth-of-bill-for-childrens-home-abuse-34410142.html

smelmoth

Tony -here is one for you.

If the governments in play in Ireland put in place statutes to the following effect:

Any individual or organisation seeking to be involved in the governance of education must sign-up to the following principles and be prepared to undergo periodic and frequent assessment against these principles:

• Must 100% comply with any police or legally constituted inquiry into child abuse (e.g. the prompt handover of all related files)
    Must instruct its members to fully comply with all such inquiries (e.g. must pass over all information irrespective of the means by which that information was acquired)
    Must not engage in any financial transaction designed to place assets beyond the reach of a successful litigant/court sanction
    Must immediately reverse any such transaction that has already taken place.
    Must undertake to pass on all knowledge of abuse immediately and directly to the relevant policing authority (irrespective of how that knowledge was acquired). This includes abuse already taken to date and any future abuse.

I think any reasonable person would agree that these are fairly basic thresholds and would only be a starting point. Tony could the Catholic Church sign up to this? And if they didn't - would there be any role for their officials in the governance of schools? 

armaghniac

Recent disclosures about the HSE indicate that organisational coverups seem endemic and that the State isn't much better able to organise its affairs without using the Church. None of this justifies anything in the past, but I wonder if some here accept the same guilt as voters as they seem to expect everyone in the Church to have because of the actions of a few.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

smelmoth

Quote from: armaghniac on February 02, 2016, 12:00:11 PM
Recent disclosures about the HSE indicate that organisational coverups seem endemic and that the State isn't much better able to organise its affairs without using the Church. None of this justifies anything in the past, but I wonder if some here accept the same guilt as voters as they seem to expect everyone in the Church to have because of the actions of a few.

Electing a liar is a mistake. Electing an incompetent fool is a mistake. Re-electing them is even worse.

But as for the church mu comments are not directed against the individuals perpetrating the abuse (the same rules apply yo them as any other child rapist) but are directed at the institutional failings in not doing anything about the abuse, not doing enough to address the abuse, taking action to cover up the abuse, taking action to cover up what was known about the abuse, taking action to belittle the abuse, taking action to shelter assets from the abuse. The standards I have asked for the church to sign up to are basic and I would really love to see if they could sign up to them. If they didn't they would be finished imho

No wides

Quote from: armaghniac on February 02, 2016, 12:00:11 PM

What on earth  are you talking about?

T Fearon

Of course you're right Armaghmaniac.Horrendous as was the child abuse caused by relatively few perverts masquerading as clerics,and the heinous way this was mishandled by the Church,the refusal of the British and Irish governments to reveal what they know about atrocities like the Dublin bombings,where hundreds of innocent lives were lost,is much worse,morally and physically,yet I don't see any threads here about corrupt government

No wides

Quote from: T Fearon on February 02, 2016, 06:12:19 PM
Of course you're right Armaghmaniac.Horrendous as was the child abuse caused by relatively few perverts masquerading as clerics,and the heinous way this was mishandled by the Church,the refusal of the British and Irish governments to reveal what they know about atrocities like the Dublin bombings,where hundreds of innocent lives were lost,is much worse,morally and physically,yet I don't see any threads here about corrupt government

Nor anyone defending them.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on February 02, 2016, 06:12:19 PM
Relatively FEW? 1.4 BN EURO is more than a handful.