Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

Orior

I could argue that Cardinal O'Brien's statement should not be posted in a thread about clerical abuse.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Main Street

Quote from: Orior on March 03, 2013, 11:50:46 PM
I could argue that Cardinal O'Brien's statement should not be posted in a thread about clerical abuse.
So, you could make an argument that the recent statement admitting fallen standards by an ex-cardinal, in response to allegations of abuse by some of his underlings, should not be in the clerical abuse thread?
I await your argument.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Orior on March 03, 2013, 11:50:46 PM

Why Not?

Orior

Maybe he had an affair with a woman i.e. a consenting adult. But that would be deemed as not meeting the standards expected of him and does not fall into the category of clerical abuse.

But until we hear more detail of the accusation then it is only speculation.

Main Street

Quote from: Orior on March 04, 2013, 01:10:50 PM
Maybe he had an affair with a woman i.e. a consenting adult. But that would be deemed as not meeting the standards expected of him and does not fall into the category of clerical abuse.

But until we hear more detail of the accusation then it is only speculation.
Seeing as he referred directly to these charges in the statement,  far from denying them, he comes 99.9 close to acknowledging them, therefore it is with 99.9% certainty that the low standards he was referring to, refer to the aforementioned allegations.

"In recent days, certain allegations which have been made against me have become public. Initially, their anonymous and non-specific nature led me to contest them.
However, I wish to take this opportunity to admit that there have been times that my sexual conduct has fallen below the standards expected of me as a priest, archbishop and cardinal."

Applesisapples

But are the allegations of improper conduct of a sexual nature involving men? If so that would make his comments on gay marriage hypocritical in the extreme. If he has had an affair with a woman then it may explain his comments on married clergy, it would also call into question the motives behind the revelations, was the vatican involved?

Main Street

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 04, 2013, 04:31:19 PM
But are the allegations of improper conduct of a sexual nature involving men? If so that would make his comments on gay marriage hypocritical in the extreme. If he has had an affair with a woman then it may explain his comments on married clergy, it would also call into question the motives behind the revelations, was the vatican involved?
Read this BBC article linked a few posts earlier

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21649475

Yes, the allegations came from 4 men, his underlings.
The Vatican were involved with retiring him early.

Jeepers Creepers

The guardian quotes one of the priests who left because of O'Briens "drunken fumblings". I think we are on the right thread.

Ulick

I heard a few others giving it this hypocritical stuff over the weekend but I still don't understand. In what way is it hypocritical? He hasn't to my knowledge gotten married, to man or woman, so how is it hypocritical for him to say it's wrong in his opinion?

Orior

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on March 04, 2013, 08:19:36 PM
The guardian quotes one of the priests who left because of O'Briens "drunken fumblings". I think we are on the right thread.

If that is the case, then fair enough. Doesn't sound like consenting adults of the opposite sex. Whoops, sorry, I meant gender.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Ulick on March 04, 2013, 08:38:03 PM

I heard a few others giving it this hypocritical stuff over the weekend but I still don't understand. In what way is it hypocritical? He hasn't to my knowledge gotten married, to man or woman, so how is it hypocritical for him to say it's wrong in his opinion?

Ulick - what is the catholic church's teaching on practicing homosexual acts?

theskull1

Let's not forget the position of power this man knew he had over his  priests. See how they talk about the power of the hierarchy. I'm sure in those days he knew stories never got out and he could try and force himself knowing the power of his position might (and probably did) get him what he was after.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Dougal Maguire

I heard some guy on the Nolan Show this morning defending him and suggesting that he may have forgotten his previous sexual misbehaviour. Now I'm no Jimmy Mageeas regards the old long term memory but I'm pretty sure I'd never forget anything like that
Careful now

Ulick

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 04, 2013, 09:04:18 PM

Is this related to "gay marriage"?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 04, 2013, 09:04:18 PM

Practice makes perfect. Or whatever that is in Latin.