Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: theskull1 on February 24, 2013, 11:33:25 PM
Cardinal Keith O'Brien

He has resigned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21572724

QuoteBritain's most senior Roman Catholic cleric, Cardinal Keith O'Brien, is stepping down as Archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh.

It follows allegations - which he contests - of inappropriate behaviour towards priests dating from the 1980s.

In a statement, he apologised to those he had offended during his ministry.

The cardinal confirmed he would not take part in the election for a successor to the Pope - leaving Britain unrepresented in the election.

The Scottish Catholic Church says Pope Benedict has accepted his resignation.

Cardinal O'Brien said in a statement he had already tendered his resignation, due to take effect when he turned 75 next month, but that Pope Benedict "has now decided that my resignation will take effect today".

He said the pontiff would appoint an apostolic administrator to govern the archdiocese in his place until his successor is appointed.

The cardinal also said: "I have valued the opportunity of serving the people of Scotland and overseas in various ways since becoming a priest.

"Looking back over my years of ministry: For any good I have been able to do, I thank God. For any failures, I apologise to all whom I have offended.

"I do not wish media attention in Rome to be focussed on me - but rather on Pope Benedict XVI and on his successor.

"However, I will pray with them and for them that, enlightened by the Holy Spirit, they will make the correct choice for the future good of the Church."

The resignation of Britain's most senior Roman Catholic cleric in the wake of allegations of improper behaviour creates a crisis for the Church in Scotland, and represents a heavy blow to the wider Church as it battles to shore up its reputation ahead of the papal election or "conclave".

The conclave is already expected to be difficult in the circumstances created by Pope Benedict's unprecedented resignation.

The Vatican is also struggling to deal with reports of internal corruption and mismanagement.

Cardinal O'Brien's resignation is also a personal tragedy for himself.

Allegations made
His role as Britain's only representative in the papal election next month would have been one of his last acts before he retired.

He said in a BBC interview on Friday that he found the responsibility of helping to choose a successor to Pope Benedict "almost frightening".

The Observer reported that the three priests and one former priest - from the diocese of St Andrews and Edinburgh - complained to the Pope's representative to Britain, nuncio Antonio Mennini, in the week before 11 February, when Pope Benedict announced his resignation, of what they claimed was the cardinal's inappropriate behaviour towards them in the 1980s.

The former priest claims Cardinal O'Brien made an inappropriate approach to him in 1980, after night prayers, when he was a seminarian at St Andrew's College, Drygrange.

The complainant says he resigned as a priest when Cardinal O'Brien was first made a bishop.

He reportedly says in his statement: "I knew then he would always have power over me. It was assumed I left the priesthood to get married. I did not. I left to preserve my integrity."

A second statement from another complainant says he was living in a parish when he was visited by O'Brien, and inappropriate contact took place between them.

A third complainant alleges dealing with what he describes as "unwanted behaviour" by the cardinal in the 1980s after some late-night drinking.

And the fourth complainant claims the cardinal used night prayers as an excuse for inappropriate contact.

Cardinal O'Brien missed celebrating Sunday Mass in St Mary's Cathedral in Edinburgh, which marked Pope Benedict's eight years in office, ahead of the pontiff stepping down this week.

Outspoken views
In resigning his post at the head of the Scottish Catholic Church, Cardinal O'Brien blights the end of an illustrious career only a few weeks before he was due to retire.

The development is understood to have been prompted by a concern to protect the Church from further destabilizing speculation during the papal election.

That process is already overshadowed by allegations against a number of the cardinals who are taking part, over their connection with their handling of the Church's sex abuse scandal.

Cardinal O'Brien will be remembered in particular as a forthright defender - occasionally in outspoken and colourful terms - of Catholic teaching on abortion, euthanasia and homosexuality.

Last week Cardinal O'Brien said he believed priests should be able to marry if they wished to do so.

He said the new Pope could consider whether the Roman Catholic Church should change its stance on some issues, not of divine origin.

"For example the celibacy of the clergy, whether priests should marry - Jesus didn't say that," he said.

The cardinal was named Bigot of the Year last year by gay rights charity Stonewall for his stance on gay marriage.

johnneycool

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 25, 2013, 12:00:38 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on February 24, 2013, 11:33:25 PM
Cardinal Keith O'Brien

He has resigned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21572724

QuoteBritain's most senior Roman Catholic cleric, Cardinal Keith O'Brien, is stepping down as Archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh.

The cardinal was named Bigot of the Year last year by gay rights charity Stonewall for his stance on gay marriage.

very much a case of the boy 'doth protest too much' there if there ever was one.

Milltown Row2

Just mental, 4 priests??? WTF

So what is the offence? Is he just gay and had sex with other gay priests or did he abuse them?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Itchy

Doesn't read like a crime (assuming the allegations are true) rather that he is gay. All he is likely guilty off is being a hypocrite.

Main Street

Well it's 30 years ago, he might well have been 'cured' and moved on with his life or just managed to control his sexual preferences in a more discerning fashion.
But I doubt it, seeing as he shows all the classic signs of a repressed inhabitant of the closet, the belligerent homophobe.

Milltown Row2

Kiss my ring has a new meaning now!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

cadence

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 25, 2013, 11:10:36 PM
Kiss my ring has a new meaning now!!

they really need to learn how to take things in proportion the catholic church, it's just an inappropriate relationship with a clerical member... what's wrong with that?   

cadence

Quote from: Main Street on February 25, 2013, 10:53:50 PM
Well it's 30 years ago, he might well have been 'cured' and moved on with his life or just managed to control his sexual preferences in a more discerning fashion.
But I doubt it, seeing as he shows all the classic signs of a repressed inhabitant of the closet, the belligerent homophobe.

internalised homophobia. never a pretty sight.

Tubberman

Cured of what??
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

cadence

Quote from: Tubberman on February 26, 2013, 12:38:10 AM

Cured of what??

indeed.
old school psychiatry used to consider homosexuality a mental disorder and curable...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_and_psychology

a belief that was latched onto recently by the religious right, "pray away the gay"...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/may/19/psychiatrist-admits-gay-cure-study-flawed

of course, you have to believe that homosexuality is a negative thing in the first place, then make a daft assumption that it is a mental disorder and another daft assumption that it can be cured, and thereafter another daft assumption that you have evidence to prove your cure.

the psychiatrists involved supporting this were the ones who needed sectioning. the mental distress of gay people brought up in homophobic communities needs to be seen in light of the oppression they experience. soe psychiatrists are totally clueless and blind to the social factors of mental illness.   

johnneycool

Quote from: Itchy on February 25, 2013, 10:45:25 PM
Doesn't read like a crime (assuming the allegations are true) rather that he is gay. All he is likely guilty off is being a hypocrite.

Surely there's the odd sin in there as well, which would be more offensive to the church itself.

How many hail marys would he need to say to get out of this one with the big man?

mylestheslasher

Oh dear, it continues to roll and roll. At least they know there are still enough ejits willing to fund their rotten church - even in a recession!

theskull1

Blindingly obvious that the blind cannot see that they are slavishly dependent on the institution rather than the god.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnneycool on February 26, 2013, 08:21:42 AM
Quote from: Itchy on February 25, 2013, 10:45:25 PM

Surely there's the odd sin in there as well, which would be more offensive to the church itself.

How many hail marys would he need to say to get out of this one with the big man?
A few quid in the plate should cover it. Keep the receipt for the gates!

dec

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21649475

Cardinal Keith O'Brien, the former leader of the Catholic Church in Scotland, has admitted his sexual conduct has at times "fallen beneath the standards expected of me".
He apologised and asked forgiveness from those he had "offended".
In a statement, he also apologised to the Church and the people of Scotland.

The cardinal resigned last Monday after three priests and a former priest had made allegations of improper behaviour against him dating back to the 80s.
Cardinal O'Brien was Britain's most senior Roman Catholic cleric until he stood down as the Archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh.

In announcing his resignation, he also said he would not take part in the election for a successor to Pope Benedict XVI, known as the conclave.
Sunday's further statement, issued through the Roman Catholic Church in Scotland, read: "In recent days, certain allegations which have been made against me have become public. Initially, their anonymous and non-specific nature led me to contest them.
"However, I wish to take this opportunity to admit that there have been times that my sexual conduct has fallen below the standards expected of me as a priest, archbishop and cardinal.
"To those I have offended, I apologise and ask forgiveness. To the Catholic Church and people of Scotland, I also apologise.
"I will now spend the rest of my life in retirement. I will play no further part in the public life of the Catholic Church in Scotland."