Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

Jim_Murphy_74

They obviously learnt nothing from the Bishop Len Brennan affair!

/Jim

Nally Stand

Quote from: orangeman on June 27, 2012, 01:41:06 PM
Quote from: Rois on June 27, 2012, 01:39:02 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-18606466

Thought I'd throw this in here - Fr Eugene Boland, brother of Strabane parish priest Declan, found not guilty of all charges of indecent assault.

Delighted for him.

This man went through hell and back.

Hope he's back prompto.

+1.

He's an absolute gentleman.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Applesisapples

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 18, 2012, 09:56:17 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 16, 2012, 03:21:20 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 16, 2012, 12:36:52 PM
I have tos say as a practicing Catholic, I have lost faith in all but a couple of Church Leaders, Bishops Martin, Treanor and McAreavy being exceptions. This Mea Culpa act of Brady's might fool the usual alter lickers but cuts no ice with the majority. Time for a root and branch overhaul. We need young married priests both male and female. Time also to go back to our Celtic roots and ditch the Furher in Rome.

So you are going to be a practicing catholic who aspires to return to their Celtic roots (i.e. paganism) and wants to ditch the pope. You are a strange fellow!

As for Brady. Weasel words at this stage mean nothing and frankly I can't believe anyone would consider them genuine. This is a man that made abused children sign an NDA and up to very recently was portraying himself as no more than a note taker - which was another lie was it not.
Obviously not up on church history, the Celtic Christian Church predated Roman interference.
I know that's why I said ditch the poe and return to our roots!

omagh_gael

Quote from: Nally Stand on June 27, 2012, 09:06:04 PM
Quote from: orangeman on June 27, 2012, 01:41:06 PM
Quote from: Rois on June 27, 2012, 01:39:02 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-18606466

Thought I'd throw this in here - Fr Eugene Boland, brother of Strabane parish priest Declan, found not guilty of all charges of indecent assault.

Delighted for him.

This man went through hell and back.

Hope he's back prompto.

+1.

He's an absolute gentleman.

+2

Orior

Despite all that has happened, Pope is not for moving...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21120754
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

From the Bunker

We've had a few weeks of The Magdalene Laundries apologies from the Government saga! I was just wondering did our good old Catholic Church wade in at some time in the past with an apology and talk of compensation, or are they just hiding and keeping stum. They know these were our Concentration camps for the vulnerable. People go on about the Taliban and other fundamentalist groupings.  But Catholicism in Ireland to me was one of the most dangerous religious movements that has ever existed. It actually disgusts me to call myself Catholic or to have any relationship with it at the moment.

Itchy

They haven't paid what they agreed to pay in compensation to date so what they say is meaningless. What amazes me is that anyone gives them a penny or passes any heed to any 'moral' position they take on subjects like abortion. I'd ask the auld dog outside his opinion before I'd listen to a bishop or pope.

From the Bunker

Seen on TG4 documentary on Wednesday night that In 1993 at High Park Magdalene Laundry, Drumcondra, the Sisters of Our Lady of Charity applied for an exhumation licence for the remains of 133 women who had been enslaved in their laundry. The nuns were selling the land to make money. During the exhumation the remains of a further 22 women were discovered. Death certificates were provided for only 75 of the 133 women on the original application. Unbelievably, the Department of the Environment, without asking any questions, put through an additional licence. All but one of the women's bodies were then cremated and reburied in Glasnevin Cemetery in a mass grave. One of the Crane workers interviewed said many of the exhumed remains had plaster paris on them.

A Report done by the IHRC came to the conclusion:
That the burial, exhumation and cremation of known and unknown women and girls who resided in Magdalene Laundries in 1993 at High Park, Drumcondra, raises serious questions for the State in the absence of detailed legislation governing the area and any requirement that all bodies be identified and accounted for in such communal plots. Questions arise as to whether there are death certificates for all those buried in those locations, and whether their remains were properly preserved and reinterred. Similar questions may arise in relation to other communal plots.

omagh_gael

give her dixie

The plot thickens Omagh Gael. Where does it stop, and is there any Cardinal heading out to vote who isn't involved in child abuse or cover ups?

I see Dolan was well grilled this week by investigators on behalf of victims in Wisconsin.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/dolan-deposed-article-1.1269202
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Itchy

I'm surprised that anyone is surprised and even more surprised that some people hold this organisation in high esteem. Its a steaming dung heap of an organisation run by gross hypocrites and propped up at grass roots by priests with their heads buried in the sand, priests with no principles what so ever. If they were men of God they would have left this church long ago.

theskull1

They stay for the edible paper disc that IS the body of christ

Without that these people (the stupid flock) are nothing.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

give her dixie

I know I have posted this link before, but if anyone has the time, this documentary is a must see. Plus, you will see video from interviews of Cardinal Mahony where he refuses to answer questions regarding his involvement in the cover up and how he moved O'Grady from parish to parish.

Mahony was stripped of his titles just recently after it was revealed how he knew all along what was going on, and how he covered it up. However, he is still allowed to travel to Rome to pick the next Pope.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/deliver-us-from-evil/

Filmmaker Amy Berg recounts a harrowing story of child abuse and how a serial child molester went free for the better part of two decades in this documentary. Oliver O'Grady was a Catholic priest who served in a number of parishes in Southern California during the 1970s and '80s. O'Grady was also a habitual child molester who abused dozens of youngsters who were entrusted to his care, and while his superiors in the church were aware of O'Grady's crimes as early as 1973, they opted to simply move him from one congregation to another rather than turn him in to authorities or strip him of his ordination.

In Deliver Us From Evil, a number of O'Grady's victims and their families discuss his crimes and the repercussions they feel to this day. O'Grady himself also appears in the film, speaking candidly about his career as a sexual predator and recounting his misdeeds in detail. (After finally being convicted of child sexual abuse, O'Grady served time in prison and now lives in Ireland, where he is still looked after by Catholic clergy.)

Berg also offers a look into the history of the Catholic Church and how its leadership has often protected those within the hierarchy at the expense of their worshipers. Deliver Us From Evil was named Best Documentary Feature at the 2006 Los Angeles Film Festival.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Eamonnca1

Quote from: theskull1 on February 24, 2013, 10:48:54 AM
They stay for the edible paper disc that IS the body of christ

Without that these people (the stupid flock) are nothing.

Cannibalism, eh?