Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

orangeman

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 14, 2012, 07:31:36 PM
He'll be contrite if he goes to jail which is where he should be. His apologies are hollow and meaningless now.

He's not going anywhere near jail and is not going to lose his position at the head of the church.

Maybe he does now realise at long last, the error of his ways and has acknowledged the error of his ways and should be forgiven and time to draw a line in the sand ?.

give her dixie

Quote from: orangeman on June 14, 2012, 07:45:16 PM
He'll be contrite if he goes to jail which is where he should be. His apologies are hollow and meaningless now.

He's not going anywhere near jail and is not going to lose his position at the head of the church.

Maybe he does now realise at long last, the error of his ways and has acknowledged the error of his ways and should be forgiven and time to draw a line in the sand ?.

Yes, lets forget that he covered up child abuse and played a serious role, for which he was well rewarded.

Brady should rot in prison as far as i'm concerned.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

orangeman

Quote from: give her dixie on June 14, 2012, 08:35:35 PM
Quote from: orangeman on June 14, 2012, 07:45:16 PM

Yes, lets forget that he covered up child abuse and played a serious role, for which he was well rewarded.

Brady should rot in prison as far as i'm concerned.
[/b]

We all know that's not going to happen, let alone lose his position as head of the churh in Ireland.

Stakes are too big. If he can be taken out, then the sky's the limit. It won't happen.

johnneycool

Quote from: orangeman on June 14, 2012, 06:53:36 PM
Fair play to Sean Brady. Fairly contrite here.

Cardinal Sean Brady says Catholic Church abuse failures shameful

Cardinal Sean Brady has said it is "a matter of deep shame" that the Catholic Church did not always respond properly to victims of child abuse.

The Catholic primate of all Ireland was delivering a homily at the 50th International Eucharistic Congress in Dublin.

He said he wanted to ask for the forgiveness of abuse victims.

He said the church had "first betrayed their trust and then failed to respond adequately to their pain".

Cardinal Brady referred to a stone that sits in a place of honour before the altar at the Congress Arena.

"It will serve as a reminder of those children and young people who were hurt by a Church that first betrayed their trust and then failed to respond adequately to their pain," he said.

"The words of the Gospel echo in my mind: 'It is not the will of your Father that any of these little ones should be lost'.

"May God forgive us for the times when we as individuals and as a Church failed to seek out and care for those little ones who were frightened, alone and in pain because someone was abusing them.

"That we did not always respond to your cries with the concern of the Good Shepherd is a matter of deep shame."

He said the Church prayed for healing and peace "for those whose suffering continues".

He'll be presenting himself and all the documented evidence held by the Catholic church to his nearest Garda or PSNI police station any day now I presume?

orangeman

Quote from: johnneycool on June 15, 2012, 11:25:34 AM
Quote from: orangeman on June 14, 2012, 06:53:36 PM
Fair play to Sean Brady. Fairly contrite here.

Cardinal Sean Brady says Catholic Church abuse failures shameful

Cardinal Sean Brady has said it is "a matter of deep shame" that the Catholic Church did not always respond properly to victims of child abuse.

The Catholic primate of all Ireland was delivering a homily at the 50th International Eucharistic Congress in Dublin.

He said he wanted to ask for the forgiveness of abuse victims.

He said the church had "first betrayed their trust and then failed to respond adequately to their pain".

Cardinal Brady referred to a stone that sits in a place of honour before the altar at the Congress Arena.

"It will serve as a reminder of those children and young people who were hurt by a Church that first betrayed their trust and then failed to respond adequately to their pain," he said.

"The words of the Gospel echo in my mind: 'It is not the will of your Father that any of these little ones should be lost'.

"May God forgive us for the times when we as individuals and as a Church failed to seek out and care for those little ones who were frightened, alone and in pain because someone was abusing them.

"That we did not always respond to your cries with the concern of the Good Shepherd is a matter of deep shame."

He said the Church prayed for healing and peace "for those whose suffering continues".

He'll be presenting himself and all the documented evidence held by the Catholic church to his nearest Garda or PSNI police station any day now I presume?

Not a chance.

Any small chance there ever was of that happening is now past.

Time for him to reinvent himself and the Church.

Applesisapples

I have tos say as a practicing Catholic, I have lost faith in all but a couple of Church Leaders, Bishops Martin, Treanor and McAreavy being exceptions. This Mea Culpa act of Brady's might fool the usual alter lickers but cuts no ice with the majority. Time for a root and branch overhaul. We need young married priests both male and female. Time also to go back to our Celtic roots and ditch the Furher in Rome.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 16, 2012, 12:36:52 PM
I have tos say as a practicing Catholic, I have lost faith in all but a couple of Church Leaders, Bishops Martin, Treanor and McAreavy being exceptions. This Mea Culpa act of Brady's might fool the usual alter lickers but cuts no ice with the majority. Time for a root and branch overhaul. We need young married priests both male and female. Time also to go back to our Celtic roots and ditch the Furher in Rome.

So you are going to be a practicing catholic who aspires to return to their Celtic roots (i.e. paganism) and wants to ditch the pope. You are a strange fellow!

As for Brady. Weasel words at this stage mean nothing and frankly I can't believe anyone would consider them genuine. This is a man that made abused children sign an NDA and up to very recently was portraying himself as no more than a note taker - which was another lie was it not.

mylestheslasher

Here - have a read of this shite, fresh from that meeting of clowns in Dublin... (http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/sex-abuse-undermined-church-pope-3140678.html)

Allow me to paraphrase...

Some bad priests, lost their way and abused children. This was bad.

Even worse, the have undermined the greatness of the church.

No mention of the bishops, cardinals and maybe popes that knew and covered it up, probably to ensure the great church wasn't undermined. No mention of the suffering of the victim - little innocent children. If this is the ass-hole at the head of this rotten organisation then there is no hope for it.

Sex abuse undermined church: Pope

The Pope has told Irish Catholics that priests who abused children in their care have undermined the credibility of the church

Paedophile priests who abused those in their care undermined the credibility of the Catholic Church, Pope Benedict XVI has said.

In a pre-recorded address to almost 80,000 pilgrims in Dublin, the pontiff said the legacy of Irish Catholicism has been shaken by the clerical sexual abuse of children, adding it remained a mystery how clergy could commit such sins.

The Pope told the congregation attending the closing Mass of the 50th International Eucharistic Congress their forebears in the church in Ireland knew how to strive for holiness and constancy in their personal lives, and how to preach the joy that comes from the Gospel.

"Thankfulness and joy at such a great history of faith and love have recently been shaken in an appalling way by the revelation of sins committed by priests and consecrated persons against people entrusted to their care," said Pope Benedict in an eight-minute recorded message to the crowd, which included Taoiseach Enda Kenny and Irish President Michael D Higgins.

"Instead of showing them the path towards Christ, towards God, instead of bearing witness to his goodness, they abused people and undermined the credibility of the Church's message.

"How are we to explain the fact that people who regularly received the Lord's body and confessed their sins in the sacrament of Penance have offended in this way? It remains a mystery. Yet evidently, their Christianity was no longer nourished by joyful encounter with Jesus Christ: it had become merely a matter of habit."

Thousands of pilgrims from around the world have attended the week-long Congress, which has been dubbed the "spiritual Olympics" of the Catholic Church. The last time the event was held in Ireland was in 1932 when the Catholic Church held a firm grasp over the Irish people and close to a million people packed the Phoenix Park for the final public mass.

But in recent years the Catholic Church in Ireland has been rocked by several State inquiries which revealed decades of abuse and cover-ups by church hierarchy and State authorities. Cardinal Sean Brady, head of the church in Ireland, has also dismissed several calls for his resignation over his role in a secret inquiry into a dangerous paedophile priest in 1975.

Pope Benedict's address was the first time he spoke directly to Catholics in Ireland since he penned an open letter to mass-goers in 2010 in which he apologised to victims of abuse.

Despite the huge drop in support for the church, up to 20,000 people a day visited the RDS, which was transformed into a eucharistic village for the eight-day festival of faith and culture. It featured 223 keynote speakers and 160 workshops including talks, addresses, group reflections, meetings, concerts and plays.

From the Bunker

''In a pre-recorded address to almost 80,000 pilgrims in Dublin, the pontiff said the legacy of Irish Catholicism has been shaken by the clerical sexual abuse of children, adding it remained a mystery how clergy could commit such sins.''

A Mystery he says, yeah it sure was a mystery, kept hidden by your boys from us common folk.

Applesisapples

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 16, 2012, 03:21:20 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 16, 2012, 12:36:52 PM

So you are going to be a practicing catholic who aspires to return to their Celtic roots (i.e. paganism) and wants to ditch the pope. You are a strange fellow!

As for Brady. Weasel words at this stage mean nothing and frankly I can't believe anyone would consider them genuine. This is a man that made abused children sign an NDA and up to very recently was portraying himself as no more than a note taker - which was another lie was it not.
Obviously not up on church history, the Celtic Christian Church predated Roman interference.

Rois

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-18606466

Thought I'd throw this in here - Fr Eugene Boland, brother of Strabane parish priest Declan, found not guilty of all charges of indecent assault. 

orangeman

Quote from: Rois on June 27, 2012, 01:39:02 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-18606466

Thought I'd throw this in here - Fr Eugene Boland, brother of Strabane parish priest Declan, found not guilty of all charges of indecent assault.

Delighted for him.

This man went through hell and back.

Hope he's back prompto.

orangeman

BUSTED ( pardon the pun )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGkkEzOkwwM

Bishop giving more than hugs it seems - only human after all !

The Pope has accepted the resignation of an Argentine bishop after the publication of pictures showing him embracing a woman on a Mexican beach.

Bishop Fernando Bargallo, 57, was photographed in the sea, hugging a woman in a bikini.

He initially said she was a childhood friend, but later admitted to having had "amorous ties" with her.

Bishop Bargallo was in charge of the diocese of Merlo-Moreno, in the province of Buenos Aires.

The scandal broke last week, when an Argentine television station broadcast pictures of Monsignor Bargallo on holiday at a beach resort in Mexico in the company of a woman.

'Childhood friend'

In one of the pictures, he is seen half-submerged in the water, embracing a woman in a bikini.

Shortly after the pictures were published, Monsignor Bargallo gave a public statement saying that the woman was a childhood friend, whom he had known all of his life.

He said the situation in which he had been photographed was "imprudent, as it could lead people to jump to the wrong conclusion".

He asked his flock to forgive him for "the ambiguity of the pictures" and urged them to view the photos "in the context of a long friendship".

But later that same week, Monsignor Bargallo convened the priests of his diocese and told them he had had "amorous ties" with the woman and would resign.

The Vatican said he would be replaced by Monsignor Alcides Jorge Pedro Casaretto.

dec

Little boys, sweep it under the carpet.

Grown woman, resigning matter.

orangeman

Quote from: dec on June 27, 2012, 02:12:15 PM
Little boys, sweep it under the carpet.

Grown woman, resigning matter.

Which is precisley the reason why this thread exists.

There was far too much of that went on for far too long.