Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

Maguire01

Quote from: Ulick on May 04, 2012, 06:29:21 PM
Small beer in comparsion to what he has on his plate. Whomever is handling this on the Vatican side will report to the CDF not the Pope and even then its unlikely to be very far up their list of priorities. Ireland's measly little community of 4 million or so Catholics doesn't often cut the mustard above the worldwide Catholic community of over a billion. After the recent Visitations, the Vatican is well aware of the state of the Irish Church and what needs to be done. No one is going to fret much about this.
I don't believe that for a minute. This story has been reported across the world - it's not just a local story. Adverse publicity on a global level will be on his radar.

Maguire01

Quote from: Ulick on May 03, 2012, 10:55:19 AM
Anyone considered Brady may have been refused permission to resign?
Well the Church has denied that it happened in 2010, so it can't possibly have happened then.
And sure why would they refuse his resignation if Ireland is such a small and insignificant part of the Church? Sure it wouldn't make any difference to them.

Ulick

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 04, 2012, 06:40:25 PM
Quote from: Ulick on May 04, 2012, 06:29:21 PM
Small beer in comparsion to what he has on his plate. Whomever is handling this on the Vatican side will report to the CDF not the Pope and even then its unlikely to be very far up their list of priorities. Ireland's measly little community of 4 million or so Catholics doesn't often cut the mustard above the worldwide Catholic community of over a billion. After the recent Visitations, the Vatican is well aware of the state of the Irish Church and what needs to be done. No one is going to fret much about this.
I don't believe that for a minute. This story has been reported across the world - it's not just a local story. Adverse publicity on a global level will be on his radar.

Aye, so you said, New York, Sydney and Montreal. Now if you'd have said Rio, Manilla and Mexico City I'm sure Fr Lambardi might sit up and take notice. At the end of the day there is nothing new in this from the Vatican perpective.

Ulick

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 04, 2012, 06:43:52 PM
Well the Church has denied that it happened in 2010, so it can't possibly have happened then.
And sure why would they refuse his resignation if Ireland is such a small and insignificant part of the Church? Sure it wouldn't make any difference to them.

Since when did you believe anything from the Church?

Maguire01

Quote from: Ulick on May 04, 2012, 07:08:19 PM

I was being sarcastic.

Ulick

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 04, 2012, 07:39:35 PM

I was being sarcastic.

Really?

Maguire01

Quote from: Ulick on May 04, 2012, 07:52:57 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on May 04, 2012, 07:39:35 PM

I was being sarcastic.

Really?
Really.

Dougal Maguire

The attached gives a fairly decent insight into how those in the highest positions within the Catholic Church dealt with whistleblowers in the past. The McGennity incident happened in 1985, 10 years after the Brady/Boland event so what must things have been back then like then. While not in any way condoning what Brady did, it does give some indication as to the culture of fear which existed within the Church.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Ledwith
Careful now

ONeill

Quote from: winghalfun on May 04, 2012, 05:13:34 PM
I need some words of encouragement or some act of contrition very soon because I cannot hold on much longer to what I previously held very dear.

I am clinging on by my finger nails and the grip is slowly loosening day by day. I just hope that my stronger Christian faith (stronger than any blind faith in a priest/bishop/cardinal/pope) will cushion me when I do fall.

I will not launch any personal attack on Cardinal Brady because I still profess to uphold Christian values of love and forgiveness which if truth be told he probably desires more than we will ever know.

He should resign for his own sake, for the sake of the wider Irish catholic church but most importantly for the sake of the victims.

I'm sorry but if your faith is dependent on the boys who graduated in Maynooth then it's not a strong faith.

Brady and the clergy are just men. They're not called.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

But we're not children.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: hardstation on May 04, 2012, 10:55:05 PM
Quote from: ONeill on May 04, 2012, 10:30:27 PM
Quote from: winghalfun on May 04, 2012, 05:13:34 PM
I need some words of encouragement or some act of contrition very soon because I cannot hold on much longer to what I previously held very dear.

I am clinging on by my finger nails and the grip is slowly loosening day by day. I just hope that my stronger Christian faith (stronger than any blind faith in a priest/bishop/cardinal/pope) will cushion me when I do fall.

I will not launch any personal attack on Cardinal Brady because I still profess to uphold Christian values of love and forgiveness which if truth be told he probably desires more than we will ever know.

He should resign for his own sake, for the sake of the wider Irish catholic church but most importantly for the sake of the victims.

I'm sorry but if your faith is dependent on the boys who graduated in Maynooth then it's not a strong faith.

Brady and the clergy are just men. They're not called.
I'm not sure it's that easy. Your faith is based on what you have been taught by these boys. If you are now going to question these 'fraudsters' then everything you have learned from them is up in the air.

-I have faith.

-What in?

-God.

-Why?

-The Priest toul me one Sunday that he exists and that he loves me.

-What do you think of the Priest?

-He's a lying cnut. No time for him at all.

-Right........

I'm not sure myself and Hardstation agree all that often, but lad he is on the money here.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ONeill

Quote from: hardstation on May 04, 2012, 11:05:31 PM
Quote from: ONeill on May 04, 2012, 10:58:25 PM
But we're not children.
We didn't find faith in God all by ourselves.

We found out about Santa that way too. Then we got more edumacated.

ONeill

Can First Communion be used in the same concept as Santa? It'll do them more good than harm is my rationale at that age.

Dougal Maguire

Lads you appear to be getting mixed up here. Are you saying that God does not exist?
Careful now

ONeill

But I mean from a father to child. I don't feel aggrieved atall that I went through the FC and Confirmation craic. Looking back, it was a bit like Santa. I'm thinking of doing it because it ties in with the concept of comfort and helps them to understand, at a simplistic level, life and death. (until they can make up their own minds).