Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Pangurban on May 04, 2012, 02:56:18 AM
Tally Ho the lynch mob is in full cry, and what an unedifying spectacle it is. Some of the hate filled diatribes against the Cardinal and Church in some posters less than eloquent contributions, reveal their bigotry and real agenda. Whilst claiming concern for victims, they are unable to conceal their glee at the denigration and vilification of a fellow human being. Some of these posters claim to be humanists. God help humanity. I wonder which of them is in a position of moral rectitude, that would permit them to throw the first stone. Yes, the Cardinal made a serious error of judgement. Yes he should resign. But there is no need for hanging,drawing and quartering.    As for the wider Church, have no fear, the impotent, secularist rabble have been baying at the Gates for 2000yrs, they will never prevail. Following a period of reform, readjustment and repentance, the Church will recover its strenght and courage to be a light in the wilderness

Thanks for that, my eyes have been opened to the reality that it is the Most Holy Roman Catholic Church who are the real victims here.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

theskull1

I finished up with religion and the Roman Catholic Church when the Brendan Smyth story was first  revealed. The thought that learned theologically trained individuals at the upper echelons of that institution decided that the churchs reputation had to be protected rather than children from pedophile priests blew me away. Excuse the lot of us humanist who's tone is a wee bit overly aggressive. Just if we don't make a hoo doo over it, the concern is that the sheep that almost all of the devout still are, will allow these scandals to keep fading away to nothing.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Ulick

Quote from: give her dixie on May 04, 2012, 01:32:36 AM
Quote from: Ulick on May 04, 2012, 01:12:20 AM
Quote from: give her dixie on May 03, 2012, 10:08:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cYv9wKH7CE

This disturbing documentary exposes the Vaticans cover up of child abuse!

Deliver Us from Evil (2006) is a documentary film directed by Amy J. Berg which tells the true story of Irish Catholic priest Oliver O'Grady, who sexually abused potentially hundreds of children between the late 1970s and early 1990s in California.

The film won the Best Documentary Award at the 2006 Los Angeles Film Festival and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature.

Just another example of the world wide pedophilia ring that is the Catholic Church.

The hyperbole doesn't help or indeed contribute to sensible discussion Dixie.

Considering that abuse by priests has been recorded all over the world, and covered up by priests, bishops, cardinals, and the current pope, I stand by my claims that that it /was/is a worldwide pedophilia ring.

If you were to take the time to watch the documentary that I posted you will see for yourself how far up the tree the abuse and cover up went.

I have watched it but as I say you do yourself no favours when spouting such nonsense.

nifan

Tally Ho the lynch mob is in full cry, and what an unedifying spectacle it is. Some of the hate filled diatribes against the Cardinal and Church in some posters less than eloquent contributions, reveal their bigotry and real agenda. Whilst claiming concern for victims, they are unable to conceal their glee at the denigration and vilification of a fellow human being. Some of these posters claim to be humanists. God help humanity. I wonder which of them is in a position of moral rectitude, that would permit them to throw the first stone. Yes, the Cardinal made a serious error of judgement. Yes he should resign. But there is no need for hanging,drawing and quartering.    As for the wider Church, have no fear, the impotent, secularist rabble have been baying at the Gates for 2000yrs, they will never prevail. Following a period of reform, readjustment and repentance, the Church will recover its strenght and courage to be a light in the wilderness

Im no lynch mob, but if someone was involved in cover up of such things within any organisation - religious or not then I would feel they should be gone, and they should be under further scrutiny. I was in the scouts anbd the duke of ed growing up - if the leader of either of these organisations was found to have covered up abuse it would be the same - some people need to realise that everything isnt about secularists "baying" for the catholic church - I really dont care if it exists or not - plenty of catholics feel the sane way.

An error in judgement is a massive understatement for what he did.

Rois

Quote from: ardchieftain on May 04, 2012, 01:44:30 AM
The paedophile apologists on this thread make me sick.

Disgusting remark and I'd challenge you to point out who exactly you mean.

I've kept out of this thread as I have no "judgement" to make but that comment is completely out of order. 

screenmachine

Maybe slightly off point here but does anyone think that they changed some of the prayers at mass to try and re-brand the church to an extent after all the negative media stories?

Some of the changes are ridiculous and there seems to be a word or two changed here or there for the sake of changing it.  I just don't see the point in the changes and they seemed to start happening after the negative press they received.

There's still always some crater gets it wrong every Sunday:

'The Lord be with you'
'And also with you. Crap, and with you're spirit, sorry Father.'

Load of balls.
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

Leo

Did Fr Brady continue to teach in St Pat's Cavan after Brendan Smith was "confined" to Kilnacrott abbey - they are all of 15 miles apart!!

And wasn't the choice of investigator from so another church institution close to the abbey interesting?
Fierce tame altogether

tbrick18

Quote from: nifan on May 04, 2012, 08:26:54 AM

Im no lynch mob, but if someone was involved in cover up of such things within any organisation - religious or not then I would feel they should be gone, and they should be under further scrutiny. I was in the scouts anbd the duke of ed growing up - if the leader of either of these organisations was found to have covered up abuse it would be the same - some people need to realise that everything isnt about secularists "baying" for the catholic church - I really dont care if it exists or not - plenty of catholics feel the sane way.

An error in judgement is a massive understatement for what he did.

I've heard this quoted a few times now about all this criticism of the church is coming from non-catholics/ex-catholics/catholic detractors, but I can say as a Catholic that I for one think the Church is a total disgrace in how it has behaved and as a Catholic I believe that Brady has lost any moral authority he is deemed to have in his position. An I can say I know more Catholics who think the same way, than those who dont. Should he resign? Of course he should and he should admit to his mistakes.
If he, or anyone else for that matter, has broken the law they should be prosecuted through the courts. that's not a slant at the Catholic church per se, but my opinion on anyone who did not disclose information to the authorities which could have prevented the  vile abuse of dozens of innocent children.

AQMP

In most cases I'm not in favour of judging historical events and facts by the standard of today's morality e.g. being of a certain age, in the late 1960s/early 1970s I never once thought there was much wrong with the The Black & White Minstrel Show (other than the singing and dancing of course) and enjoyed Al Jolson's rendition of "Swannee River" on more than one occasion without considering myself (or him) a racist.  Looking back now the reaction is "what the hell was the BBC thinking?!"

Therefore I can see the point Sean Brady is making when he says that in the context of 1975 and the culture of deference to the Church hierarchy he did the "right" thing or he did all that was required of him.  In the 60s and 70s I was educated by Christian Brothers at primary school and went to a secondary school run by Redemptorist priests and the first inkling I had of child abuse in the Church probably came in the early 90s.  Don't get too uptight, there's a but coming...

However in 1975, Brady would have known that not only was what went on against the criminal law, but in theological terms, it was also a pretty grave or mortal "sin".  As a priest not only had he a responsibility to the Church but also a responsibility to protect (at least one) baptised member of the Church from severe physical and mental threat.  Brady got his priorities the wrong way round as a human being.

If I were in his position now I would slip quietly off to Rome to inform the Pope I was retiring on ill-health grounds.

PS..screenmachine, I think there's something in the change of wording of the mass...give the sheep something else to talk about apart from child abuse.

johnneycool

But according to him  he didn't make any error of judgement and in the same position today would do the same thing. He was only a pawn in the process he says. He answers first and foremost to canon law then and now. Maybe a few trips to the courts for Bishops and Cardinals would bring Rome to its senses. The Catholic church has removed any of its servants to have a will of their own, just as Fr Brian Darcy. If there ever was a true dictatorship then the most holy roman catholic church is it.

I really hope there is a period of repentance on this issue as there hasn't been one as yet and this 'scandal' has been going on for well over a decade.

Orior

Some of you may be aware of this story.

At the secondary school I went to, there were rumours that the principal (a priest) was doing things that he shouldnt. By that I mean asking boys about what they do with their girlfriends, and wandering through the dormitories at night.

I first heard these stories in third year when he became principal. If I heard about them, then I'm sure the teaching staff heard the stories as well.

Should the 60 or so teaching staff resign now for not reporting this?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hardy

Reporting what? Who did he rape?

Orior

Quote from: Hardy on May 04, 2012, 10:02:59 AM

All I'm saying is that he crossed the line. Should I hang my head in shame for not reporting it to the RUC?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

EC Unique

Quote from: give her dixie on May 03, 2012, 10:08:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cYv9wKH7CE

This disturbing documentary exposes the Vaticans cover up of child abuse!

Deliver Us from Evil (2006) is a documentary film directed by Amy J. Berg which tells the true story of Irish Catholic priest Oliver O'Grady, who sexually abused potentially hundreds of children between the late 1970s and early 1990s in California.

The film won the Best Documentary Award at the 2006 Los Angeles Film Festival and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature.

Just another example of the world wide pedophilia ring that is the Catholic Church.

I am a member of the Catholic church. Does that make me a pedophile or a pedophile sympathiser/protector?

The Church has many many problems that need addressed but to term it as a ''pedophilia ring'' is a serious insult to the 99.99% of its members that are in it in good faith.

If you wish to be taken seriously you should retract that comment.

Hardy

Quote from: Orior on May 04, 2012, 10:36:02 AM
Quote from: Hardy on May 04, 2012, 10:02:59 AM

All I'm saying is that he crossed the line. Should I hang my head in shame for not reporting it to the RUC?

You seem to be confused between serious crime and gossip. There is no crime to report in what you describe. Do you seriously see a parallel between this and Brady's failure to report the actual rape of actual children?