Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

Tubberman

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 02, 2012, 10:58:56 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on May 02, 2012, 10:47:42 AM
I see religion and the church as very different things. To me it is the church that is warped and steeped in this mess, religion does not belong to the church. My religion belongs to me.

Spot on!

But was it not this warped church that taught you these religious beliefs? Do you not think it's entirely possible/probable they put their warped slant on those teachings for their own reasons?
Religion and church can be separated to a certain extent, but it's far from black and white.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Club Rossa

If Brady had any decency,which i doubt he has,he should resign with immediate effect.
Shocking stuff altogether.

Abble

It's a very poor portrayal of Brady there last night now I have to say.
I was at mass Sunday week ago where he said it and blessed us all coming out of the Cathedral, handshakes for me and my 3yr old and all. I knew of this past he had and all but still didnt want to miss a chance for my young one to be greeted by His Eminence.

It's a very sad affair the whole thing and in a way I feel sorry for him.
(This doesn't come close to how we must all feel for the victims of these cases).

There's a lot of it has happened. but on this individual case around Cardinal Brady, we must all remember he has not committed any 'act' against a young one, that is first and foremost.

The BBC are going hell for leather in trying to get Brady ousted in some kind of mad fanatical pursuit. I have it on good authority that what has been happening is as close to a manhunt (by the BBC) on Brady. That surely would be all well and good if he was an actual perpetrator of abuse.

Now as for what Brady has actually done and don't be getting me wrong, because the way they went about covering this up is inexcusable, but Brady, and this is what 38 years ago now, would have been very green behind the ears back then and not very high in power in the whole Church setup back then. But I am suspecting he is taking the kick here for all those who were above him at the time. He is in a big hole here and no-one else is around now to answer, he is having to answer now for his own actions alright. But....fcuk it, I don't know, none of us know, only him.

Those who were abused at the time know who carried out the acts. Brady made sure they were sworn to silence but are we all that niaive to think he was head honcho or something, and was the one came up with that great masterplan away back then. He would've had no real sway back then I'd think, someone else above him at the time had to force him down this route, had to.
I can't be sure but I just think the BBC are on a big drive to get the main man at the helm of the Catholic Church in Ireland hung, drawn and quartered to get their big story.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Abble on May 02, 2012, 11:41:08 AM
I was at mass Sunday week ago where he said it and blessed us all coming out of the Cathedral, handshakes for me and my 3yr old and all. I knew of this past he had and all but still didnt want to miss a chance for my young one to be greeted by His Eminence.

(This doesn't come close to how we must all feel for the victims of these cases).

There's a lot of it has happened. but on this individual case around Cardinal Brady, we must all remember he has not committed any 'act' against a young one, that is first and foremost.

The BBC are going hell for leather in trying to get Brady ousted in some kind of mad fanatical pursuit. I have it on good authority that what has been happening is as close to a manhunt (by the BBC) on Brady. That surely would be all well and good if he was an actual perpetrator of abuse.

Now as for what Brady has actually done and don't be getting me wrong, because the way they went about covering this up is inexcusable, but Brady, and this is what 38 years ago now, would have been very green behind the ears back then and not very high in power in the whole Church setup back then. But I am suspecting he is taking the kick here for all those who were above him at the time. He is in a big hole here and no-one else is around now to answer, he is having to answer now for his own actions alright. But....fcuk it, I don't know, none of us know, only him.

Those who were abused at the time know who carried out the acts. Brady made sure they were sworn to silence but are we all that niaive to think he was head honcho or something, and was the one came up with that great masterplan away back then. He would've had no real sway back then I'd think, someone else above him at the time had to force him down this route, had to.
I can't be sure but I just think the BBC are on a big drive to get the main man at the helm of the Catholic Church in Ireland hung, drawn and quartered to get their big story.

As an individual he made a decision that following some archaic rules was a better idea than using information he had to protect kids from a rapist.

If the church can't see that a man of such poor judgement is not the one to lead the Irish Catholic Church to a better future then they are beyond rescue.

/Jim.

Declan

Folks think of Sharia law and how it is administered in fundamentalist Muslim countries and then you have some idea of what Ireland was like pre 1980s. I'm old enough to remember it and to speak out against the church wasn't on anyone's radar never mind a card carrying member like Brady. Not excusing the lack of action on his behalf just contextualising it.
I remember having a row with my own parents about an incident that happened with a local young neighbour of mine that was "hushed" up not by the clerical authorities but by the local pillars of the civil community and when they told me how it had been dealt with I could understand it more while still being repulsed by it. 

Main Street

Yes, probably Brady was not the architect of the masterplan. However  do you think it is just a coincidence that Brady rode his chariot to the top of the tree here? That such a journey was facilitated by his intelligent and obedient participation in carrying out such dastardly conspiracy or his progress was made in spite of such a participation?

johnneycool

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on May 02, 2012, 11:50:23 AM

As an individual he made a decision that following some archaic rules was a better idea than using information he had to protect kids from a rapist.

If the church can't see that a man of such poor judgement is not the one to lead the Irish Catholic Church to a better future then they are beyond rescue.

/Jim.

Brady didn't actually abuse any children, but to allow a known child rapist to carry on with his evil doings and even indirectly aid him by placing him in other unsuspecting parishes really should go against the morals of any human being, let alone a man of the cloth.
I'm sorry, but I don't care how misguided any organisation could be in self preservation I couldn't do what Brady helped to do. I'd have walked away if asked to do what he did.

qwerty

Brady was a grown and well educated man when he made a child put his hand on the bible and swear to secrecy. For Brady to portray this imagine of him being a wee shy secretary who had to do what he was told doesn't wash. Meanwhile Smith was then let go to proceed and rape numerous other children for years after! God only knows how many lives were wrecked (and subsequent suicides) because of Smith and the coverups. Not only should he resign but he should also be dragged through the courts along with his cohorts!

give her dixie

Just heard Bradys statement on Radio Ulster. He is not for going, and still stands by his "I was only a humble notary bullshit excuse"

This man is totally deluded, and it's high time he was forced out.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

orangeman

Brady said this prayer below EVERY day from the time he became a priest. The rest of us said it once a week if even. But when we were being brought to confessions on the first Friday of the month, the priest emphasised how important it was to tell God about the sins that we had committed by not doing the right thing and by not acting when we should have acted. I remember this clearly.
Is he, you or anybody else really trying to tell us that he didn't realise that what he did was wrong and that he covered up Smith and co which allowed hundreds of young innocents to have thier lives ruined ? To claim he was simply a note taker when the evidence clearly shows he was much, much more than a secretary shows that the man is living on a different planet. Mc Intyre is to be commended for his "manhunt" if that's what you want to call it.

I confess to almighty God
and to you, my brothers and sisters,
that I have greatly sinned,
in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done and in what I have failed to do,through my fault, through my fault,
through my most grievous fault;
therefore I ask blessed Mary ever-Virgin,
all the Angels and Saints,
and you, my brothers and sisters,
to pray for me to the Lord our God

johnneycool

Quote from: orangeman on May 02, 2012, 12:51:24 PM

Brady said this prayer below EVERY day from the time he became a priest. The rest of us said it once a week if even. But when we were being brought to confessions on the first Friday of the month, the priest emphasised how important it was to tell God about the sins that we had committed by not doing the right thing and by not acting when we should have acted. I remember this clearly.
Is he, you or anybody else really trying to tell us that he didn't realise that what he did was wrong and that he covered up Smith and co which allowed hundreds of young innocents to have thier lives ruined ? To claim he was simply a note taker when the evidence clearly shows he was much, much more than a secretary shows that the man is living on a different planet. Mc Intyre is to be commended for his "manhunt" if that's what you want to call it.

I confess to almighty God
and to you, my brothers and sisters,
that I have greatly sinned,
in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done and in what I have failed to do,through my fault, through my fault,
through my most grievous fault;
therefore I ask blessed Mary ever-Virgin,
all the Angels and Saints,
and you, my brothers and sisters,
to pray for me to the Lord our God

I suppose it becomes just another rhyme after a while.

tbrick18

Brady didnt abuse any children directly but he was certainly implicit in facilitating the abuse of children by is actions, or lack thereof.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he a teacher? He should have been fully aware of the impact this could have on a child and he would also have been aware of how to persuade a child to do his bidding due to his training. For me this makes his role all the more vicious.
I for one hope he is hung out to dry, along with anyone and everyone else who contributed to the cover up which undoubtedly let to more children being abused.
As for the BBC being on a Manhunt, McIntyre lived in an area of Donegal where abuse took place and his uncle was a priest. If anything he made a point out of showing that there are many good people in the clergy, but evidence is evidence. If it points to Brady and he happens to be the head of the Irish Catholic Church why shouldn't it be highlighted? It just makes it all the more sickening to me that someone so involved in such a cover up can rise (sink?) to such levels.

orangeman

Irish Justice Minister Alan Shatter said the programme's revelations were "tragic and disturbing".

Abuse victims' campaigner Marie Collins, who was raped at the age of 13 by a hospital chaplain in Dublin, said Cardinal Brady should resign.

"I'm amazed no bishops have come out and said he should go," she said.

"We have priests and theologians being silenced by the Vatican - they can act against people whose views they feel are liberal, but they will not act against someone who not only endangered children but let them be abused.

"If Cardinal Brady came out and espoused the view that women should be ordained, he'd be gone within hours."

Gary O'Sullivan, editor of the Irish Catholic newspaper, said Cardinal Brady had questions to answer.

"If a child can see the need to save other children, how come priests, ministers of Christianity, cannot have the same awareness?" he said.

orangeman

My good God.

I'm starting to feel sorry for Brady now - he's clearly not a well man still trying to deny that he didn't do anything wrong but was happy that others were going to deal with it - it wasn't his "role".