The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grounded

Quote from: bennydorano on February 28, 2021, 01:06:47 PM
Releasing either original photo would clear it up fairly quickly. You'd like to think it's a fake.

Hopefully it is fake. I'm no expert at these things but it does look photoshopped. Surely someone who is into computer graphics could say almost immediately?

yellowcard

By not flat out denying the picture in his statement, the picture is either genuine or Elliott is milking the publicity. If it is genuine then it could put his career in jeopardy.

bennydorano

He released a statement, true but...

https://twitter.com/gelliott_racing/status/1366171196367192064?s=09

Could be career ending in this day & age

Hound

'I was standing over the horse waiting to help with the removal of the body, in the course of which, to my memory I received a call and, without thinking, I sat down to take it. Hearing a shout from one of my team, I gestured to wait until I was finished.'

That's a poor enough excuse, but there could be no good excuse!

I'd imagine a fine and warning will be the punishment from the authorities. Be interesting to see if he loses any owners, or will it just blow over. Owners presumably very happy with him in general given the amount of winners he gets.

Be interesting if it comes out who released the photo. Someone with a grudge ...

quit yo jibbajabba

That was written by Dominic Cummings and his PR team id say..

trailer

Someone obviously had an axe to grind and they released this pic. Am I right in thinking it's an old picture and not taken recently?

Unfortunately this is more fuel to the animal cruelty groups who are interesting in banning horse racing. I think the blood sports in the North could be on their last legs as well.

Rich Ricci

Claims it's an old photo but who knows if that's true and don't think it's relevant in the grand scheme of things. Whether it was 4 days or 4 years ago it's still happened. Hard to know what consequences it will have with regards to owners in his yard. Think it will be 50/50. Some will be disgusted at his treatment of a dead animal and no longer have horses in his yard but there will be plenty desperate for their day in the sun at Cheltenham, Aintree etc... so will continue to use one of the best trainers in the business.

Incidentally there were a few videos going round of Gordon's sexual exploits going round at a lockdown party in his yard so god knows what else he's been getting up too..

Hound

Someone definitely has it in for Gordon.

The dead horse isnt the only thing circulating on social media. There's a video showing him in a packed bar having the craic (presumably during a Covid lockdown) and another with screenshots of text messages about him cheating on the daughter of a female trainer, resulting in fisticuffs between the two women! (No video of the latter! )

yellowcard

Quote from: Rich Ricci on March 01, 2021, 09:48:09 AM
Claims it's an old photo but who knows if that's true and don't think it's relevant in the grand scheme of things. Whether it was 4 days or 4 years ago it's still happened. Hard to know what consequences it will have with regards to owners in his yard. Think it will be 50/50. Some will be disgusted at his treatment of a dead animal and no longer have horses in his yard but there will be plenty desperate for their day in the sun at Cheltenham, Aintree etc... so will continue to use one of the best trainers in the business.

Incidentally there were a few videos going round of Gordon's sexual exploits going round at a lockdown party in his yard so god knows what else he's been getting up too..

From what I've heard there was an incident the previous week after which someone may have had an axe to grind with him when you consider that the photo is 4 years old. I don't like this thing of destroying people especially in such a public manner but there has to be consequences now that it is in the public domain.

It will be more interesting to see the reaction within the horse racing industry in general from both media and other trainers. It is a very self preserving sport with a serious amount of back slapping and cronyism. If anyone wants to get an idea of how the industry works then have a read of The Black Horse inside Coolmore. It is as much about how official Irish society in general works and whilst I found it a very heavy read at times it opens up a can of worms that the horse racing fraternity find very uncomfortable. Incidentally the book was banned after an injunction taken out by John Magnier. 

Hound

July 2019 is a date I've seen on social media re the date for the pic - but no evidence, so pinch of salt.

Totally overshadowed by him sitting on the dead horse, but exercising a horse to the point it dies of a heart attack isnt a great look for the sport anyway. I wonder how often that happens.

I love a punt on the horses, but totally understand that it's crooked. And imo Irish national hunt is probably the most crooked.
Non-triers and manipulating the handicaps is just the way things are done. Not even to get into drugging horses, which I know happens, but hope it's rare enough.

Allowing current jockeys and trainers to be paid "ambassadors" of betting companies is completely absurd.

I see Betfair have fired Elliott this morning. You're in a pretty low place when a betting company has the moral high ground over you!

bennydorano

Twitter and this thread have been illuminating

trailer

Quote from: Hound on March 01, 2021, 10:47:33 AM
July 2019 is a date I've seen on social media re the date for the pic - but no evidence, so pinch of salt.

Totally overshadowed by him sitting on the dead horse, but exercising a horse to the point it dies of a heart attack isnt a great look for the sport anyway. I wonder how often that happens.

I love a punt on the horses, but totally understand that it's crooked. And imo Irish national hunt is probably the most crooked.
Non-triers and manipulating the handicaps is just the way things are done. Not even to get into drugging horses, which I know happens, but hope it's rare enough.

Allowing current jockeys and trainers to be paid "ambassadors" of betting companies is completely absurd.

I see Betfair have fired Elliott this morning. You're in a pretty low place when a betting company has the moral high ground over you!

There will be some spotlight on the sport now. With Cheltenham just round the corner and the media coverage ramping up around that, Trainers, Owners and Jockeys will be getting a lot of scrutiny. Horse racing needs to handle that in the correct manner. If they get the response wrong it could do them more harm as an industry than the actual picture.

sid waddell

Quote from: trailer on March 01, 2021, 09:12:05 AM
Someone obviously had an axe to grind and they released this pic. Am I right in thinking it's an old picture and not taken recently?

Unfortunately this is more fuel to the animal cruelty groups who are interesting in banning horse racing. I think the blood sports in the North could be on their last legs as well.
I think you mean animal welfare

Animal cruelty groups would class Elliott's picture as exemplary behaviour

Taylor

OLeary has come out and said Gigginstown will be keeping their horses with Elliott.

It may be because they are winding down the operation but still a bad look

Rich Ricci

Cheveley Park have said they will wait until the investigation is completed before making any decisions. It's probably fortunate timing for Elliot for this to come out in some regards, owners aren't going to pull their horses 2 weeks before the biggest meeting in the calendar.