Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marsbarkid

Quote from: DownFanatic on November 09, 2011, 05:18:25 PM
County's Latest Proposals to be voted on at the next County Board meeting.

Proposal for re-structuring of Division 3 and the doing away of Division 4

3A                       3B
Ballymartin          Drumgath
Tullylish           Kilclief
Carryduff           Darragh Cross
St John Bosco    Glasdrumman
Glenn            Atticall
Ardglass          St John's
Dundrum           Mitchel's
Saul            Drumaness
Bredagh            Dromara
St Paul's               Bright
Teconnaught       St Michaels
Aghaderg             Aughlisnafin
Ballykinlar   

In 2012 there would be no Division 4 but rather a Division 3a and 3B this would be an honest attempt to assist those smaller Clubs with more regional based fixtures which would have hopefully the two fold purpose of cutting down travel costs but in turn maximising home gates. These leagues include Kilclief, Carryduff and Tullylish but in 2012 only one of these teams will be still in Division 3 and thus there will need to be adjustment once the final permutations are known, we are asking that you support this in principle.

The two top teams in 3A and 3B would meet in Semi Finals with the top two teams then gaining promotion to Division 2.
There would be no relegation and as such would stop the yo yo effect of some teams between Division 3 and 4, we need to open the opportunity to people to play in Division 2, this gives Clubs the opportunity to grasp that chance to play in Division 2 and a high level of senior football for a season as opposed to getting one game in a Senior Championship as an amalgamation.

Quote from: stiff breeze on November 23, 2011, 06:39:47 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on November 23, 2011, 09:59:49 AM
Quote from: stiff breeze on November 22, 2011, 08:23:27 PM
the new propasals are nonsense, they will not aide down football in any way. If they go ahead there will be so many more non event games at the end of the season as there is no relegation and also it will leave it that teams at the top will benefit playing teams at the bottom later in the season so the fixture layout will majorly benifit some promotion chasing teams . Also if a div 4 team is good enough they will get to div 3 in 2 years which is possible under the current format. I predict alot of the east down teams going for this proposal as it will benifit them as that league will be easier if its geographically based.

First of all ,I would imagine that the leagues will be seeded on current league position,and then consider convenient geographical location.There was no proposal to go East and South Down.Div 4 and Div 3 this year both had a number of non-played or "dead rubber" games.None of these occurred in the first half of the season.
If the league is split after 1 round of fixtures,then every team in Div 3 will have end of season games against roughly equal standard opposition.This will test the top teams,and prepare them for Div 2,and give the bottom teams something to fight for at the end of season.The extra incentive for all teams,could be that final league position,will determine seeding for 2013,league and championship.Therefore every team is likely to play the full season out-which didn't occur this year.

I imagine,that the goals of the county board are to revitalise football in both lower leagues,particularly for those at the bottom of Div 4.And also to try to ensure ambitious,potential county footballers are given a better opportunity to develop  IN THEIR OWN CLUB,and perhaps eventually see more county players emerge from lower league clubs(as happens in other counties).In the absence of any better proposals,to achieve those  goals,I feel clubs should back these proposals for the good of Down football

You need to do better research. Two of the main reasons given for the change are cutting travel costs and maxamising game attendance so it will be based geographically. As for your point about county players improving, it has no basis. A county standard player will shine in div 4 and 3 with the current set up, as proven by kevin anderson, mc comiskey, harrison  and more lately miskelly . The reason there are not more county standard players in division 3 and 4 is the bad youth set ups and poor player development techniques of these teams. The youth structures need changed to bring a better standard of player through.

Stiff Breeze i have quoted the original post on this forum about the Div3/4 restucturing which shows the make up of the 2 sections. I think they are supposed to be geographical but are confusing to say the least! eg. Ballymartin Section A, Glassdrumman+Atticall Section B, Bosco(A) - Mitchels (B), Ardglass(A) - Bright(B) etc.  :-\

Ah well, hopefully the proposals dont get approved tonight + all this discussion will be immaterial!

Minus15

The original proposal took each league and they just separated clubs for each division based on League position. 1st to 3a, 2nd to 3b, 3rd to 3a, 4th to 3b etc. Just goes to show how lazy a proposal it was!

marsbarkid

Quote from: Minus15 on November 24, 2011, 08:34:13 PM
The original proposal took each league and they just separated clubs for each division based on League position. 1st to 3a, 2nd to 3b, 3rd to 3a, 4th to 3b etc. Just goes to show how lazy a proposal it was!

Agreed, Lazy indeed! Hopefully we will get some feedback on the forum tonight on how the meeting went.

When We Win

Quote from: marsbarkid on November 24, 2011, 06:52:58 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on November 09, 2011, 05:18:25 PM
County's Latest Proposals to be voted on at the next County Board meeting.

Proposal for re-structuring of Division 3 and the doing away of Division 4

3A                       3B
Ballymartin          Drumgath
Tullylish           Kilclief
Carryduff           Darragh Cross
St John Bosco    Glasdrumman
Glenn            Atticall
Ardglass          St John's
Dundrum           Mitchel's
Saul            Drumaness
Bredagh            Dromara
St Paul's               Bright
Teconnaught       St Michaels
Aghaderg             Aughlisnafin
Ballykinlar   

In 2012 there would be no Division 4 but rather a Division 3a and 3B this would be an honest attempt to assist those smaller Clubs with more regional based fixtures which would have hopefully the two fold purpose of cutting down travel costs but in turn maximising home gates. These leagues include Kilclief, Carryduff and Tullylish but in 2012 only one of these teams will be still in Division 3 and thus there will need to be adjustment once the final permutations are known, we are asking that you support this in principle.

The two top teams in 3A and 3B would meet in Semi Finals with the top two teams then gaining promotion to Division 2.
There would be no relegation and as such would stop the yo yo effect of some teams between Division 3 and 4, we need to open the opportunity to people to play in Division 2, this gives Clubs the opportunity to grasp that chance to play in Division 2 and a high level of senior football for a season as opposed to getting one game in a Senior Championship as an amalgamation.

Quote from: stiff breeze on November 23, 2011, 06:39:47 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on November 23, 2011, 09:59:49 AM
Quote from: stiff breeze on November 22, 2011, 08:23:27 PM
the new propasals are nonsense, they will not aide down football in any way. If they go ahead there will be so many more non event games at the end of the season as there is no relegation and also it will leave it that teams at the top will benefit playing teams at the bottom later in the season so the fixture layout will majorly benifit some promotion chasing teams . Also if a div 4 team is good enough they will get to div 3 in 2 years which is possible under the current format. I predict alot of the east down teams going for this proposal as it will benifit them as that league will be easier if its geographically based.

First of all ,I would imagine that the leagues will be seeded on current league position,and then consider convenient geographical location.There was no proposal to go East and South Down.Div 4 and Div 3 this year both had a number of non-played or "dead rubber" games.None of these occurred in the first half of the season.
If the league is split after 1 round of fixtures,then every team in Div 3 will have end of season games against roughly equal standard opposition.This will test the top teams,and prepare them for Div 2,and give the bottom teams something to fight for at the end of season.The extra incentive for all teams,could be that final league position,will determine seeding for 2013,league and championship.Therefore every team is likely to play the full season out-which didn't occur this year.

I imagine,that the goals of the county board are to revitalise football in both lower leagues,particularly for those at the bottom of Div 4.And also to try to ensure ambitious,potential county footballers are given a better opportunity to develop  IN THEIR OWN CLUB,and perhaps eventually see more county players emerge from lower league clubs(as happens in other counties).In the absence of any better proposals,to achieve those  goals,I feel clubs should back these proposals for the good of Down football

You need to do better research. Two of the main reasons given for the change are cutting travel costs and maxamising game attendance so it will be based geographically. As for your point about county players improving, it has no basis. A county standard player will shine in div 4 and 3 with the current set up, as proven by kevin anderson, mc comiskey, harrison  and more lately miskelly . The reason there are not more county standard players in division 3 and 4 is the bad youth set ups and poor player development techniques of these teams. The youth structures need changed to bring a better standard of player through.

Stiff Breeze i have quoted the original post on this forum about the Div3/4 restucturing which shows the make up of the 2 sections. I think they are supposed to be geographical but are confusing to say the least! eg. Ballymartin Section A, Glassdrumman+Atticall Section B, Bosco(A) - Mitchels (B), Ardglass(A) - Bright(B) etc.  :-\

Ah well, hopefully the proposals dont get approved tonight + all this discussion will be immaterial!

Geographical. Darragh Cross to Attical or Glassdrummon. Is Carryduff not just down the road as is Saul?

If people are saying teams are not fielding later in the season because of meaningless games well then they do not deserve to be accommodated. These games if they chose to fulfil them would help them build stronger squads to compete.

At the end of the day, in any sport there is a hierarchy and a level of status which is why we are all envious of Mayobridge, Kilcoo, Burren, etc playing at a higher level. Or down the league its Carryduff, Kilclief, Darragh Cross.

Take Carryduff and Darragh Cross for example. Their status would be heavily dented if they are put into a league system that says this year they were top of div 3 with a division of lesser quality teams below them. They would be of the opinion that they would never have to play this level again. Any restructuring would put these teams into the lowest tier of football no matter how the turd is dressed.

Division four, play all your games and get to a level where you want to be. They dont deserve to be playing Kilclief, Tullylish, etc if they cant field in what they call meaningless games. When i played i do not recall ever playing a meaningless game, I wanted to beat every team. Nor did i mind playing football in December.

Finally, if any league changes were to be made i feel it is only fair that they are set for say two years down the line to give every club the chance to set themselves up for an amended league.

On another matter this seems to concentrate only on div 3 and 4. THe same arguement could be used for div 1 and 2. Why not split these divisions so that Ballymartin, Banbridge Drumgath etc are playing the Burrens to give them a chance of meaningful football.

Bloody crazy. The best teams get promoted, the worst teams get relegated and the teams who are not pushing for promotion finish in the middle where they geared themselves to finish.

Good luck to Burren by the way. Tough prospect for them though.

Carryduff, Tullylish. You should have played this game four weeks ago as it never looked like Kilclief would have to play all their games. Good luck to you both anyway.

johnneycool

I'm getting reports that the format of the club hurling championships have been changed last night where clubs can expect possibly more than two games in the junior championship and regional teams (Lecale, Mid Down, North Down, Donard, Iveagh) playing out with the Ards reserves for the intermediate championship in a two group round robin basis.

I really hope they've thought this through as I wouldn't want the slightest impact on round 36 of the Div3 South reserve section D football league.  ;)

DaisyCutter

I've heard today that the new proposals for the championship were approved last night at the meeting. A champions league group format will be implemented for the 2012 championship where a round robin system will be played. the winners and runners up from each group will progress to the quarter finals. Details are still sketchy at this point. I am unsure if any of league proposals were approved for 2012.                                                                                                                                                       On another serious note, the canal court have withdrawn their sponsorship deal with the County board for the forseeable future. I believe it was an issue of Courtneys being used for meals after training and matches where the CC were being left in the dark by the county board so I would urge readers that any merchandise they buy at the moment will not feature on CC on it for 2012 as a new sponsor will have to be located. Interesting developments last night!

wehatepauly2

I hear that the county board are giving each club 20 tickets to sell for a big draw they are organising,price of tickets are 125quid each,apparently any club who fails tho sell 20 will not be given any home fixtures for 2012.I think that is a total disgrace,sounds like the county board are blackmailing the clubs to make them some money.it's hard enough selling tickets at a fiver or teenier for our own clubs for Christmas draws never mind them coming in demanding we sell those tickets,especially at this time of year an the way things are.could anyone let me know if this is correct in what I heard

Leo

Sorry to see Canal Court go - they came in during lean times and stuck with the county although no doubt it made good commercial sense to the McParlands for a time. But they seem to me to have been good sponsors.

Won't be easy getting a top sponsor at present - the paucity of advertising at Park Esler suggests that whatever arm of the county is in charge of sponsorship/advertising is alseep on the job and it's hard to see them pulling any rabbit out of the hat.

I suppose this shows up the need for a county draw, which is the old begging bowl attitude of the GAA.
Fierce tame altogether

13aside

i remember a number of years ago  such an approach was forwarded by the county board and the clubs were billed for the tickets whether they sold them or not.Their answer to any questions about this will be batted back into the faces of the clubs-do not expect any sympathy from co.board because i think i know the answer.

redandblackareback

Quote from: Leo on November 25, 2011, 10:47:49 PM
Sorry to see Canal Court go - they came in during lean times and stuck with the county although no doubt it made good commercial sense to the McParlands for a time. But they seem to me to have been good sponsors.

Won't be easy getting a top sponsor at present - the paucity of advertising at Park Esler suggests that whatever arm of the county is in charge of sponsorship/advertising is alseep on the job and it's hard to see them pulling any rabbit out of the hat.

I suppose this shows up the need for a county draw, which is the old begging bowl attitude of the GAA.

Who's supplying the money for A O Rourkes "Expenses"?

Down Follower

Quote from: wehatepauly2 on November 25, 2011, 06:27:46 PM
I hear that the county board are giving each club 20 tickets to sell for a big draw they are organising,price of tickets are 125quid each,apparently any club who fails tho sell 20 will not be given any home fixtures for 2012.I think that is a total disgrace,sounds like the county board are blackmailing the clubs to make them some money.it's hard enough selling tickets at a fiver or teenier for our own clubs for Christmas draws never mind them coming in demanding we sell those tickets,especially at this time of year an the way things are.could anyone let me know if this is correct in what I heard

Yes there is indeed a draw, and clubs have to pay for at least 20 tickets whether they are sold or not. This is to cover the prize fund of £110,000.  Tickets cost £120 and this can be paid up front or over 12 months, £10 p/m.  However, after the initial 20 tickets are sold, clubs retain 80% of the ticket price, i.e. £96 for every ticket sold thereon.  It is the best fundraising idea the county has come up with in a long time.  The benefits are there for clubs who push it.

Leo

Quote from: Down Follower on November 26, 2011, 02:08:58 PM
It is the best fundraising idea the county has come up with in a long time.  The benefits are there for clubs who push it.

Better than Club Down which has been raising funds separate from the clubs all along?
Fierce tame altogether

Mourne man

Carryduff beat tullylish today by 3 they where by far the hungrier team these play off are a joke! now they have the chance of playing kilcief for the division 3 crown  a joke

passedit

Timing was very bad for Tullylish with John Mc Areavey struggling with injury this last few weeks and obviously not near fit today.Carryduff scored their goals at crucial times but biggest factor was tullylish's inability to kick simple frees especially  for three different right footed kickers late in the second half.
Don't Panic

DaisyCutter

Any readers get to the cross and Burren final today? Were cross just to strong for Burren or did Burren not play to their full potential? Result from Ulster club minor championship: Armagh Harps 3-9 Kilcoo 2-6 where the magpies did not play to their usual selves against a fast, strong harps team.