Refugees

Started by Mayo4Sam14, September 03, 2015, 04:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: saffronandblue on January 06, 2017, 06:30:56 PM
Far too many do-gooders in this country. I'd say the locals might have accepted 80 but when it's going to be 200/250 in a town of around 1000 people it's more than any town should have to cope with. Imagine telling the Dubs that there were 200,000 refugees coming in the next couple of months.  That's the scale of the incoming numbers of refugees.  One wonders who are the shrewd investors were that purchased the hotel a few months ago??????????? On a brighter note, isn't it great to see our great Enda delivering for the West again.
Now that would be an interesting revelation, the hotel ownership

Rossfan

A FG supporter I wonder. ::)
May I wish the poor devils all the best and no doubt the good people of the West Roscommon town will do all they can for them.
As for those who don't want the Refugees in Ireland - try spending a week where they came from.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eamonnca1

Quote from: JoG2 on January 06, 2017, 05:00:53 PM
still amazes me how a rag like the Daily Heil was able to set up an Irish version after decades of hate towards the Irish living in Britain,  the mind truly boggles

Doesn't amaze me at all. Begrudgery is the Irish national sport, and hatred towards immigrants is socially acceptable. Always has been. For a country that sent so many people to the ends of the Earth and wrote a million self-pitying ballad songs about it, it seems to have a hard time putting up with other people doing the same in reverse. And as soon as you open your mouth about it you get branded a "do-gooder" or a "liberal" as if that were some sort of insult. You only have to scroll through a typical online thread to see that there's a market for conservative racist buffoonery.

Itchy

Quote from: Rossfan on January 06, 2017, 06:54:29 PM
May I wish the poor devils all the best and no doubt the good people of the West Roscommon town will do all they can for them.
As for those who don't want the Refugees in Ireland - try spending a week where they came from.

Well said. The Irish gave a lot more when we had a lot less. The Celtic tiger has a lot to answer for, the nasty spiteful miserable bastards it produced.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: foxcommander on January 06, 2017, 01:39:36 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 06, 2017, 12:37:44 PM
80 Syrian refugees will be be housed at the Abbeyfield Hotel in Ballaghaderreen, looking at many of the comments on facebook it looks like some of the locals are not happy.

Call me uncharitable but surely the government should prioritise tacking the homeless situation in their own country first.
When every citizen has a place to lay their heads at night then we can move on to tacking the world's issues.

Hello, Uncharitable. Are you one of those conservative "what about our own homeless" parrots who floods every FB comment thread about refugees with the same old talking point?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: foxcommander on January 06, 2017, 03:22:46 PM
I think its a shame that the decentralisation of Dublin plan never really worked. Too much emphasis on the capital.

See? Every once in a while you are capable of posting a sane comment. You should try it more often.

Minder

It's been happening in the north since last December 15, 40 or 50 coming at a time to Belfast, where they stay for a few days, getting forms filled out etc for benefits then they are housed across the north. We have all seen on the news what they have come from so I'm not sure anyone could begrudge them coming here
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on January 06, 2017, 06:54:29 PM

I'm a little appalled by Hopkins and Murphy veiling subtle racism behind claims of lack of facilities. Ballagh is so filled to the brim with empty housing it's not even funny. With an exsisting and long established Muslim community Ballagh is probably one of the best places in Ireland for refugees from Syria, if the government actually engages locals in helping acclimatise them and making them feel welcome. Anyone who thinks Ballagh can't suppprt these numbers honestly knows nothing about the town or its history.

This is a great opportunity for the area to show its true colours by treating these people, who are coming from one of the most hellish war zones of my lifetime, with dignity and respect. Ballagh is on the clock now and it will have to choose between inclusiveness and insularity.

Complaining about not being consulted is the PC way of saying NIMBY. It's 80 people, likely many of whom are women and children. There's nothing to consult about at this stage.

whitey

The best one ever was the traveller family in Castlebar out protesting against refugees. The same traveller family have terrorized the residents of any estate they were ever housed in

Rossfan

Hopkins and Murphy could do with shutting their gobs for 1 feckin week in the year  just to save us from listening to their non stop spouting.
Amazing how every proposal seems to be in the wrong place ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

foxcommander

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 06, 2017, 07:06:08 PM
80 Syrian refugees will be be housed at the Abbeyfield Hotel in Ballaghaderreen, looking at many of the comments on facebook it looks like some of the locals are not happy.

Call me uncharitable but surely the government should prioritise tacking the homeless situation in their own country first.
When every citizen has a place to lay their heads at night then we can move on to tacking the world's issues.

Hello, Uncharitable. Are you one of those conservative "what about our own homeless" parrots who floods every FB comment thread about refugees with the same old talking point?

There is a poverty crisis in our country. We can't look after our own citizens as it stands.
I dare you to say that Ireland can afford to add thousands more.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

foxcommander

Quote from: Syferus on January 06, 2017, 07:23:12 PM
It's 80 people

For now. It's a bit late anyway, the damage was done years ago with the first wave of fibs about asylum status 20 years ago. We heard the same bleeding heart shit then and the fools still fall for it. Liberals beat up anyone who speaks out against it.

Going the same way England did - turning into a cesspit.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Itchy

I'd swap 80 refugees for you Fox. Anyday.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: foxcommander on January 06, 2017, 08:44:05 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 06, 2017, 07:06:08 PM

There is a poverty crisis in our country. We can't look after our own citizens as it stands.
I dare you to say that Ireland can afford to add thousands more.

Ireland can afford to add thousands more.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: foxcommander on January 06, 2017, 08:50:33 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 06, 2017, 07:23:12 PM
It's 80 people

For now. It's a bit late anyway, the damage was done years ago with the first wave of fibs about asylum status 20 years ago. We heard the same bleeding heart shit then and the fools still fall for it. Liberals beat up anyone who speaks out against it.

Going the same way England did - turning into a cesspit.

I stopped reading at "liberals."