Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucifer

I agree that square ball serves very little purpose as it is now, I don't really see the benefit in maintaining it.  Whilst we are re-drawing the lines, could I also suggest that the penalty area is brought out to the '21 and made about 5 yards wider on either side also.  Relative to the size of the pitch the current penalty area is very small and so many goal chances are lost to minor fouls 14/15 yards from goal.

onefineday

Quote from: Rossfan on February 01, 2024, 10:54:30 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 01, 2024, 10:41:30 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 01, 2024, 10:26:44 AMAbolish the small rectangle?
I take it you've never played goals lol

If they want to wander round being an outfield player they should lose their privilege area ;D
;D  ;D

Though I suppose it'd be a little bit harsh penalising a keeper for not getting his toe under the ball when diving to stop a penno!

I think just no forward into the box at all might be easiest to get police. Like the idea of increasing the size of the penalty area too btw.

Main Street

In the Ros v Mon game, the Monaghan goalie clearly caught a  high ball under the post, whilst he was midair a Ros player entered the area, jumped up and slammed the ball from the goalies' grip into the net along with the goalie.The ref awarded a goal.
How was it a goal under the rules? The ball was not in mid air.
I presume the ref thought it was in mid air, that the Ros player got to it before the goalie, he also consulted about the matter with 2 civilians in white coats.

Duine Inteacht Eile

Perfectly legal.
You cannot shoulder a goalkeeper in the square but all other legitimate tackling is allowed.

Armagh18

Always thought you weren't allowed to touch the keeper in small square at all.

RedHand88

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 26, 2024, 07:59:38 AMAlways thought you weren't allowed to touch the keeper in small square at all.

Nah sure a keeper could just run the clock down standing soloing in his square if that was the case.

Rossfan

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 26, 2024, 07:59:38 AMAlways thought you weren't allowed to touch the keeper in small square at all.
Cunnane touched the ball with his hand.
Any contact with the goalie was incidental to that tackle on the ball.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cavan19

Quote from: Rossfan on February 26, 2024, 08:52:33 AM
Cunnane touched the ball with his hand.
Any contact with the goalie was incidental to that tackle on the ball.

I would like to hear our residents referee's take on this.

I though it was a fair goal.

Main Street

So it is allowed to slap the ball out of the goalie's grasp and if the ball goes over the goal line it is a goal?

Even though the rule book just has one exception
"A score may be made by striking the ball in flight with the hand"

Rossfan

Loose ball after a tackle crosses line.
Also if goalie or defender carries ball over the goal line = goal.

Main Street

Was that a loose ball? The goalie jumped up straight from his line, clearly caught the ball and while mid-air the ball was slapped out of his grasp over the goal line by the ros player.
If it's legal I can accept, but I don't recall any such precedents where the goalie had the ball slapped out of his grasp in such a fashion.

Milltown Row2

Didn't see it so can't comment on that one, but if a challenge on the ball in the square is done cleanly and its a challenge for the ball, not the keeper then that's ok, in the main the cries of ya can't touch the keeper in the square generally were followed by a ref's whistle, free out.

If a player (in the square or outside the square for that matter) rips the ball from another player its a foul, ya can't do that

If the player made contact with the ball cleanly and after that made contact with the keeper, then that's where it might be up for interpretation, it will be down to how the ref seen it

Whats the difference if the keeper comes out with the ball and its dispossessed as he toe taps the ball or goes to bounce it?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

It was a clean tackle on the ball. The then loose ball went over the goal line.

Plaudits to Cunnane who followed the ball in, a trait we haven't been noted for.
And to Ref for not going with the lazy " can't go near keeper", free out practice.

David McKeown

I thought it was a perfectly good goal under the rules.  I always interpreted any ball not in the control of the player in question to be a ball in flight provided it wasn't on the ground. So you cant kick it up for your self to fist in but can fist it any other format provided there is no other rule break.  I'd also like to see the physics of who actually touches the ball last but you'd need at least a high speed camera for that
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

johnnycool

Teams being able to go back up to 15 players in extra time after having players sent off in ordinary time is kicked to touch in Newry over the weekend.

That was always a strange rule to be fair.