Donegal v Tyrone, Sunday Aug 5, Ballybofey

Started by Ball Hopper, July 21, 2018, 11:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: hardstation on August 05, 2018, 11:14:59 PM
Quote from: Carmen Stateside on August 05, 2018, 11:10:39 PM
Quote from: Estimator on August 05, 2018, 10:50:47 PM
It looked like Morgan give the nod to McNamee for the quick kick out. Had McNamee attacked the ball he would've got there before McHugh. McHugh started a couple of yards behind, and still got out in front to get a hand in.

It was a reallystupid decision from Morgan.  He was seeing everything in front of him, nothing to do with defender who can't see whats going on behind him. How people try to balance the blame is unreal!
How is it not? He should not be waiting on that ball. I actually think he backed a couple of inches away from it. The pass was on, the receiver just needed to be sharper.

True, receiver was at fault here.  Never wait on the ball.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

trailer

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 06, 2018, 08:10:18 AM
Quote from: hardstation on August 05, 2018, 11:14:59 PM
Quote from: Carmen Stateside on August 05, 2018, 11:10:39 PM
Quote from: Estimator on August 05, 2018, 10:50:47 PM
It looked like Morgan give the nod to McNamee for the quick kick out. Had McNamee attacked the ball he would've got there before McHugh. McHugh started a couple of yards behind, and still got out in front to get a hand in.

It was a reallystupid decision from Morgan.  He was seeing everything in front of him, nothing to do with defender who can't see whats going on behind him. How people try to balance the blame is unreal!
How is it not? He should not be waiting on that ball. I actually think he backed a couple of inches away from it. The pass was on, the receiver just needed to be sharper.

True, receiver was at fault here.  Never wait on the ball.

Bar the kickout for the goal which wasn't entirely his fault, I thought Morgan had a great game and had Tyrone on the front foot with his kickouts, especially in the 2nd half.
Mattie Donnelly had a great game also, he has been quiet of late but carried the fight to Donegal time and again.

RedHand88

I wouldn't be hard on a Morgan. Some of his kickouts yesterday were outrageous. He has a knack of dropping a ball right onto a free receivers hands. One in particular to petey harte I think it was, had ones around me in awe.

samwin08

Fact is Donegal beat 2,3,   4th division or yo-yo teams (Kildare, Roscommon) and Bonnar "free flowing football " leaves Donegal football in pre Mc Guinness era!  Donegal have failed to beat any of top 6 teams.

nrico2006

Quote from: samwin08 on August 06, 2018, 09:16:39 AM
Fact is Donegal beat 2,3,   4th division or yo-yo teams (Kildare, Roscommon) and Bonnar "free flowing football " leaves Donegal football in pre Mc Guinness era!  Donegal have failed to beat any of top 6 teams.

I was saying the same all along.  Plus they were relegated.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 06, 2018, 09:09:01 AM
I wouldn't be hard on a Morgan. Some of his kickouts yesterday were outrageous. He has a knack of dropping a ball right onto a free receivers hands. One in particular to petey harte I think it was, had ones around me in awe.

The obvious one apart, his kickouts where top class yesterday.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

omagh_gael

Yesterday's analysis by RTE highlights the clear cognitive biases that exist within their panel. At half time Brolly et al were eulogising Bonner's system and lauding it's flexibility when compared to Tyrone's rigidity. Is it my (genetically hardwired) Tyrone paranoia or how was Donegal's approach any different to ours? They totally clogged up the defence and rarely launched long direct ball into the FF line. Even when Murphy was in there I can only recall 2-3 balls being let in long. We probably used the long ball more in the first half than them, FFS!

Others may say that to beat Tyrone you have to replicate them but when we played Roscommon, for example, we used the long ball a lot more than normal.

RedHand88

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 06, 2018, 10:27:30 AM
Yesterday's analysis by RTE highlights the clear cognitive biases that exist within their panel. At half time Brolly et al were eulogising Bonner's system and lauding it's flexibility when compared to Tyrone's rigidity. Is it my (genetically hardwired) Tyrone paranoia or how was Donegal's approach any different to ours? They totally clogged up the defence and rarely launched long direct ball into the FF line. Even when Murphy was in there I can only recall 2-3 balls being let in long. We probably used the long ball more in the first half than them, FFS!

Others may say that to beat Tyrone you have to replicate them but when we played Roscommon, for example, we used the long ball a lot more than normal.

The RTE panel speak some nonsense. The default position is to laud whichever team is infront and criticise whichever team is behind. There was no difference between those two teams in the first half apart from a single error from Morgan. Indeed Tyrone led for much of the half.

On a side note great to see Cantwell challenge the bolloxology. Refreshing.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 06, 2018, 10:38:59 AM

The RTE panel speak some nonsense. The default position is to laud whichever team is infront and criticise whichever team is behind. There was no difference between those two teams in the first half apart from a single error from Morgan. Indeed Tyrone led for much of the half.

Anyone that's ever played the game at any level knows the one simple rule, don't wait on the ball. The keeper was not to blame for this instance, even though for some people it's popular to have a go for whatever reason. Hampsey waited, McHugh was too quick for him and read it excellently and that was that.

Knock Yer Mucker In

I was so disappointed to be all square at 5 a piece, we had missed easy frees and shots and should have been 3 if not four up, to then hand Donegal an easy goal from Hampsey not going to the ball on a short KO was sickening. We kept Donegal in the game and then gave them the impetus to take control of the game, which they took full advantage of.  All the while you could see the players confidence dipping. Half time couldn't come quick enough to get ourselves settled. Harte was going to introduce those players anyway but the truth is he had no choice as we were toothless up front and those changes that were made were crying out for. Morgan, Big Colm, Mattie(best game the year) Harte and Hampsey were consistently good for the entire game. IMO this was game that we should have won easier and that we made more difficult for ourselves.

RedHand88

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on August 06, 2018, 10:48:12 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 06, 2018, 10:38:59 AM

Anyone that's ever played the game at any level knows the one simple rule, don't wait on the ball. The keeper was not to blame for this instance, even though for some people it's popular to have a go for whatever reason. Hampsey waited, McHugh was too quick for him and read it excellently and that was that.

Oh absolutely Hampsey shouldnt have waited, not saying Morgan is totally at fault at all. Should have said the Morgan/Hampsey error. The kickout shouldnt have been hit at him but he also should have been more ready. Both men were excellent yesterday outside of that moment of madness.

J70

You have to start somewhere. It's a young team with many of them in only their first or second season at senior.

Dire Ear

hand-passed to Michael Murphy, who planted a shot to the top left corner of the Tyrone net for his first championship goal since the 2002 All-Ireland final.
From Hoganstand.  Is this correct,  seems strange??

BennyHarp

Quote from: J70 on August 06, 2018, 11:16:39 AM

You have to start somewhere. It's a young team with many of them in only their first or second season at senior.

When this all settles down I think Bonner will be happy enough with the progress this year. He has tried to change a very institutionalised style of play (though I thought they reverted to a quite defensive style yesterday) and has given a lot game time to some really promising young players like Brennan, Langan, Gallagher, Patton, etc. The loss of McBrearty was huge and he may just have been able to get enough scores to keep a Tyrone comeback at bay yesterday. I think Donegal will be big players in future years. It's got all the making of a healthy Ulster championship with them, Tyrone and Monaghan competing over the next few years.
That was never a square ball!!

omagh_gael

BTW, who is this Lanigan fella that plays for Donegal? Ger Canning was on about him all day!