Donegal v Tyrone, Sunday Aug 5, Ballybofey

Started by Ball Hopper, July 21, 2018, 11:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Whilst he was outstanding again today Lee is still not 70 minutes fit. He could clearly be seen sucking air after some of his runs and he's still nursing that hamstring a bit. I could be wrong but after his final point I thought you could see him carry a slight bit of a limp running  out.

I would dearly love him to able to start for Tyrone but the one injury you can't rush back with is a hamstring. Ask any player who has bother with theirs, lar or any of them. There's also a lot to be said for bringing him in late in the game when defenders tire and the game becomes a lot looser and he has full range to exploit them.

We badly miss his free-taking in the first 50 mins especially the left sided frees but I'm in no rush to see him starting. Inside forwards in the modern game are largely flogged for 50+ mins chasing back and working for the team, that's a poor use of lee's energy. Had he started today he'd have had to fulfil the role of sparky and spent most of his energy chasing players back and harassing the Donegal defence. Be careful what you wish for when it comes to Lee Brennan.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Quote from: cjx on August 05, 2018, 09:23:04 PM
Quote from: Aughafad on August 05, 2018, 05:19:22 PM
Joe mcquillan should never be allowed near a gaa pitch again
Now yer talking What a w@¥%er
5 Tyrone players clotheslined some not all yellow a series of stupid gormless panic decisions against both sides nearly wrecked a great game
but what about Lee Brennan?
The panic he spread and Peter Donnelly's work on conditioning physical
and mental won that with Brennan's drive, intelligence and free flowing skill.
All this DESPITE Mickey Harte! What is it with him and Lee The only thing I can think of
Is that Lee doesn't know the dickits of the Rosary off by heart! Nothing else could possbly
justify Lee's exclusion ( Maybe a word with Big Franny when he comes to Phoenix park or
Knock might be required? Like you know that Maradona fella?)

f**k up both of ye.

Mc Quillan, like a lot of refs from the nineties, tries his damnedest to keep the trailing side in the game. In the first half that was Donegal and in the early 2nd it was Tyrone. He favoured neither side. Yes Mc Hugh could have walked but equally could have Colm. Petey got a free immediately after the goal that richy took quickly that was never a free at all. Quit complaining about the last Donegal free, game was over at that stage it had no affect on the outcome.

Can't beleive after a 7 point win in the Ballybofey cauldron lads are whining about the ref.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

omaghjoe

Great win today altogether and all the sweeter to get it in Ballybofey

Thought we were the better team for the most part with a few purple patches for Donegal keeping them in touch, and of course assisted by a silly goal and McQuillian.

Obviously the subs won it for us. Great to see Brennan finally light up a championship game. The Donegal defence didnt know how to handle him. Cavanagh very good as well, he really lead from the front in the final quarter. Thought Hampsey came into well in the 2nd half as well as Harte after quiet enough championships.
Glad for Morgan too, to get that Ballybofey monkey of his, tho the goal was a right c**k up Im not sure it was soley his fault

Think we are in good shape for the Monaghan match, there's plenty of options all over the pitch and key players going well, we should have learned plenty from the Omagh match, should be a quare battle

BennyHarp

Not long back from the game and I must say it was one of the most enjoyable days I've had watching Tyrone. The last 20 mins was as good as anything we've produced in 10 years. It really seems that our gameplan is to try and keep it tight and cut lose in the last twenty. McGeary is an absolute machine and once again was the driving force. Lee Brennan gave us the cutting edge that we were missing and is a serious talent. I thought Peter Harte was superb in the last 20 too and in that form is unplayable. The announcers insistence that patrons shouldn't go on the pitch afterwards - twice, seemed to be a little sour grapes and was completely ignored. The players stayed around for a good 30 mins taking pictures and Mickey looked as happy as I've seen him in a long time. Roll on next Sunday.

By the way, reading through the comments from posters like Wildweasal and the like is very entertaining
That was never a square ball!!

omaghjoe

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 05, 2018, 10:01:21 PM
Not long back from the game and I must say it was one of the most enjoyable days I've had watching Tyrone. The last 20 mins was as good as anything we've produced in 10 years. It really seems that our gameplan is to try and keep it tight and cut lose in the last twenty. McGeary is an absolute machine and once again was the driving force. Lee Brennan gave us the cutting edge that we were missing and is a serious talent. I thought Peter Harte was superb in the last 20 too and in that form is unplayable. The announcers insistence that patrons shouldn't go on the pitch afterwards - twice, seemed to be a little sour grapes and was completely ignored. The players stayed around for a good 20 mins taking pictures and Mickey looked as happy as I've seen him in a long time. Roll on next Sunday.

By the way, reading through the comments from posters like Wildweasal and the like is very entertaining

:D :D
Funny I was about to post the exact same thing.

Hilarious how the spite is unrelenting in every situation, now its on to how Monaghan are gonna put manners on us ::)

Baile an tuaigh

I think Niall Morgan rushed his kick out for the goal. Didn't the referee just throw the ball up in the previous kick out? I think this had something to do with the quick rash decision by Niall. Other than that he had a perfect gsme.

sam03/05

McQuillan had a shocker today - he got so
Many big calls wrong. A shockingly bad performance.
Why did he stop the play for the Morgan Kickout just before the Donegal goal

Carbery

Bit surprised that McQuillan is still getting games now that there is no fellow Cavan man as President and more importantly no Cavan man at the helm of the CCCC.

Estimator

It looked like Morgan give the nod to McNamee for the quick kick out. Had McNamee attacked the ball he would've got there before McHugh. McHugh started a couple of yards behind, and still got out in front to get a hand in.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Over the Bar

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 05, 2018, 06:55:53 PM
Compare all the feigning of injury and attempts to get men carded compared to the toughness of hurlers who don't lie down unless actually hurt!
Tell us how much today's result hurt you?  Please!  ;D ;D ;D

David McKeown

2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

omagh_gael

Quote from: Estimator on August 05, 2018, 10:50:47 PM
It looked like Morgan give the nod to McNamee for the quick kick out. Had McNamee attacked the ball he would've got there before McHugh. McHugh started a couple of yards behind, and still got out in front to get a hand in.

Morgan 100% gave the defender the nod and also motioned for the return pass as soon as it left the tee. You can see it clearly on the TV. Open to correction here but I'm nearly certain it was Hampsey that was receiving the ball. If it is then it was the same two players involved in the c**k up second goal v Dublin in the league this year. That time Hampsey sold Morgan totally short with the return hand pass.

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: Estimator on August 05, 2018, 10:50:47 PM

It was a reallystupid decision from Morgan.  He was seeing everything in front of him, nothing to do with defender who can't see whats going on behind him. How people try to balance the blame is unreal!  The reason he improved in the second half was because he was told to kick the ball long over the press and not to be fecking about round his own 21

omagh_gael

Don't think it's been mentioned much but Matty Donnelly was utterly superb. He was one of the only men continually breaking the Donegal defensive line and drawing frees. His last score from play was simply awesome.

David McKeown

Quote from: hardstation on August 05, 2018, 11:09:38 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on August 05, 2018, 11:09:01 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 05, 2018, 10:34:37 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on August 05, 2018, 05:09:36 PM
Was the goal not square ball?
Definitely not.

Looked it on the replay but hard enough to tell from the camera angles
No, it's not. He's clearly not in the square when the ball is hand passed.

Well I think we will agree to disagree on whether it's clear. To me he looked inside but it's far from conclusive on replay
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner