Donegal v Tyrone, Sunday Aug 5, Ballybofey

Started by Ball Hopper, July 21, 2018, 11:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redhandefender

I think Donegal are completely overrated this year.

Simple fact is Decky Bonner is not a good manager. They have fantastic forwards that will give any body problems no matter where you play them but their main man is gone.

I think mickey will win the battle on the sideline and Tyrone will make history in ballybofey

bogball88

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 24, 2018, 04:09:38 PM
What's the story lads with young Mulgrew? Is he out for the season?

This looks to be Tyrone's make or break match and its hard to know where we stand.
Last year we hammered them 1.21 to 1.12 in Clones and they had a full team with both McBrearty and Murphy being contained quite well only scoring 3 from play between them.
Of course we know its a different story in Ballybofey but I think this Tyrone team have showed the last two years that they no longer fear Donegal and have got over the mental block that Donegal had their number.
The Dubs I've talked to certainly rate Tyrone better than Donegal this year despite but still lacking a top quality forward.

Tyrone's last 15 mins against the Dubs certainly gives the team a great boost of self belief as that's the stage of the game the Dubs usually blow teams away but they were hanging on by a thread and were very glad to hear the final whistle.

Some of the Tyrone squad and fans will feel we owe Declan Bonner a bit of payback for his antics in the minor match a few years back and there certainly seems to be a lot of bad feeling between the two teams and sets of fans in recent years. Both teams will feel that the winner of this avoid Dublin in the semi and have a good chance of making it through to an AI final. Of course, Kerry, Galway and Monaghan might have a lot to say about that.

There has been a good few changes in the panel or starting team since these 2017 teams

Tyrone: N Morgan (0-01, '45); A McCrory, R McNamee, P Hampsey (0-02); T McCann (1-01), C McCarron, P Harte (0-02); C Cavanagh, C McCann; K McGeary (0-03), N Sludden (0-04), D Mulgrew (0-01); M Bradley (0-02), S Cavanagh (0-1, f), M Donnelly (0-02).

Subs: D McCurry for Bradley (44 BC), R Brennan for Mulgrew (46), D McClure (0-01) for C McCann (50), R O'Neill (0-01) for S Cavanagh (56), C McShane for McGeary (56), J McMahon for Harte (70)

Donegal: MA McGinley; P McGrath, N McGee, EB Gallagher; R McHugh, F McGlynn, E Doherty; J McGee, C Thompson; M Carroll (1-0), M Reilly (0-01), J Brennan; P McBrearty (0-06, 4F), M Murphy (0-03, 2 '45), E McHugh..

Subs: K Lacey for J McGee (31), M McElhinney for McGlynn (h-t), H McFadden (0-01) for Brennan (h-t), C Mulligan for Thompson (38). K Gillespie for Doherty (46), M Langan (0-01) for E McHugh (59)

Referee: D Gough (Meath).

Is Neil McGee totally fit?

http://www.the42.ie/tyrone-donegal-score-updates-3450526-Jun2017/
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0618/883661-tyrone-v-donegal/
Had an operation on his shoulder. Cant see him being fit for any county games this year

ONeill

Scenario:

A minute left on the clock plus added time. Tyrone a point down and been awarded a penalty. Knowing a draw secures a semi final place, what does Peter Harte do?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Dire Ear

Aristo 60

Quote from: ONeill on July 25, 2018, 11:25:36 AM
Scenario:

A minute left on the clock plus added time. Tyrone a point down and been awarded a penalty. Knowing a draw secures a semi final place, what does Peter Harte do?

Wait on further instructions from the man above / Sky.

rrhf

Scenario:

Pete will goal it.

RedHand88

Scenario:

If he's any bucking wit he'll put it over.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: redhandefender on July 25, 2018, 08:05:18 AM

Simple fact is Decky Bonner is not a good manager. They have fantastic forwards that will give any body problems no matter where you play them but their main man is gone.

I think mickey will win the battle on the sideline and Tyrone will make history in ballybofey
Not convinced about Bonner as manager myself. What is the history Tyrone will make?

RedHand88

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 25, 2018, 01:58:25 PM

Not convinced about Bonner as manager myself. What is the history Tyrone will make?

Winning in Ballybofey.

redhandefender

I may be incorrect but have Donegal ever been beat in championship football in ballybofey? We certainly have never beta them there, and the AI championship only started in 2003  ;D

Jinxy

Scenario:

Aim for the crossbar.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: redhandefender on July 25, 2018, 03:17:30 PM

I may be incorrect but have Donegal ever been beat in championship football in ballybofey? We certainly have never beta them there, and the AI championship only started in 2003  ;D

Antrim beat Donegal in Ballybofey in 2009.

The Bearded One

well Tyrone are better than Antrim so there you go.
It is what it is. Presumably.

J70

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 25, 2018, 03:53:20 PM
Quote from: redhandefender on July 25, 2018, 03:17:30 PM

Antrim beat Donegal in Ballybofey in 2009.

Derry and Monaghan won there in 2008, Down after extra time in 2010. Fermanagh maybe 2000. Monaghan in 1995. Not sure before that... maybe Down mid-80s.

On Bonner as a manager... not going to waste much time on such opinions, but he is doing just fine by me so far. An senior Ulster title to follow his underage successes with many of the same players and we are getting away from the toothless defensive shite.

rrhf

Did Tyrone not beat Donegal in 73. To the point that they wanted to go to Connaught championship. Could history repeat itself. They could join up with Leitrim and sure no one would spot the difference.