Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Long Ball

Are the League games going ahead as scheduled on Easter Monday? I heard a rumour they are off as Down won
Drive yer boot in her!!

The Worker

Quote from: Joe Umbrella (hey) on March 28, 2010, 09:22:49 PM
Quote from: Dubh driocht on March 28, 2010, 07:08:25 PM
All that plus 12 wides.Need to be more clinical at Croke Park and Ballybofey.Would you play Big Dan in either ?

It would always have been unthinkable that Dan would not be a cert for 1 of the 2 midfield positions. But King and Ambrose are playing some stuff at the minute however Dan is a better fielder than both and would do well under the current mark rule. I always thought that if the county could produce another quality midfielder then Dan could have been an option at full forward again, but at the minute there already is serious competition for places in the forwards. I hope come Ballybofey though he will be somewhere in the starting 15.

Why is he def. back in the squad?

norabeag

Quote from: Long Ball on March 29, 2010, 09:45:32 AM
Are the League games going ahead as scheduled on Easter Monday? I heard a rumour they are off as Down won
Wouldnt thinks so as there is still one more league game left before final

Would be crazy to start that carry on so early as there are around 1500 + senior footballers to be looked after as well as the 30 or so on the county panel. There really is no slippage on the calendar to allow for this.

goldenyears

How many teams have switched their game to Saturday instead? Just curious as to what div2 games still going ahead on Monday, thanks

sebastion

When I walked into the game yesterday Dan was there at the shop behind the stand,good to see him out at least watching the lads .When he see,s the way the lads have been playing it will give him an appetite to get back,cant wait to see him in the red and black

gorm agus bui

Quote from: goldenyears on March 29, 2010, 10:31:59 AM
How many teams have switched their game to Saturday instead? Just curious as to what div2 games still going ahead on Monday, thanks
Think the Kilclief/Downpatrick game is going ahead on Monday as Strangford failed to make the Harry Clarke cup this year!

No1

Makes no odds to us, didn't we beat the mighty Hoops with a team of kids and oul men on the loughshore last year? 

We'll not mention the result when our "stars" featured in the return fixture   :o

The town wouldn't be a big soccer stronghold, would it?  ::) 

DownFanatic

Quote from: No1 on March 29, 2010, 08:26:35 PM
Makes no odds to us, didn't we beat the mighty Hoops with a team of kids and oul men on the loughshore last year? 

We'll not mention the result when our "stars" featured in the return fixture   :o

The town wouldn't be a big soccer stronghold, would it?  ::)

I see Downpatrick failed to field in two ACPRFL games already this year. Whats the craic with that?

angermanagement

Quote from: sebastion on March 29, 2010, 02:14:42 PM
When I walked into the game yesterday Dan was there at the shop behind the stand,good to see him out at least watching the lads .When he see,s the way the lads have been playing it will give him an appetite to get back,cant wait to see him in the red and black

L'island were playing a friendly at the weekend in Westmeath that would explain his attendance.

dodgy umpire

Whilst I know the forward line is on fire at the minute I would like to see big Dan played in at FF as he would be an excellent target man and it would be quite unfair not to play King at midfield given the quality stuff he is producing. Also, King provides a more physical presance at midfield which would come in handy for stopping any opposition  midfielders playing their game.
For me, a Coulter Gordon and Mc Comiskey full forward line would be unstoppable should all be on form, with Lavery and J Clarke very good options to bring in as impact subs
The Boys in Red and Black are back

thewobbler

Dodgy, seeing as it seems as though James and co have spent the past 3 months coaching their team not to kick the ball away aimlessly at the full-forward line, I imagine you won't be seeing a 6' 4" target man being thrown in there anytime soon. Which, I have to say, I'm very glad about.

dodgy umpire

Marty Clarke doesn't kick too many aimless balls though!
The Boys in Red and Black are back

sebastion

I think our forward line is operating well at the minute,and come championship time we will need Dan in the middle of the field
I think John Clarke should hold his place in ff line

Mid Down Gael

John Clarke has been absolutly outstanding at full forward and is a cert come 30th May along with Benny inside. The other corner forward slot looks to be a tight call between Murtagh, McComiskey and Laverty. Or Possibly using Aidan Carr at 13 and roving out. Danny Hughes and Marty clarke are certs in the half forward line based on form with Kearney, Maginn and Poland pushing for a place. We have some serious options in attack this year. The way Ambrose and Kallum are performing at midfield they deserve to be first choice and i think Dan is leaving it too late to return with championship only 8 weeks away. he would need to be back in the next 2 weeks to give himself a chance off starting in Ballybofey. Maybe he could be an option at 12 with kickouts aimed at him allowing King to sit in a defensive midfield role.

Mourne Rover

MDG, there is an expectation that Dan will be back shortly, and no 12 would be very much an option for him. You are right to highlight his strength on the wing for kick-outs, and he made his senior debut for Down as a wing half forward. It is certainly difficult to see our present midfield from being changed in a hurry.

It is a very long time since we had such competition for forward places. Murtagh did well yesterday but is probably behind Kearney, Maginn, Poland and Laverty in the race for a single place which McComiskey, if fit, might edge. There is also the prospect that Doyle could return in either attack or defence, and Fitzpatrick and Carr are also contenders for the half forward line.

We obviously do not have the same number of alternatives at the back, but to date this season we have the best defence in all four league divisions. We  are bound to have a few ups and downs before the championship, and Ballybofey will be a tough place to go, but there is an upward curve there which is heartening at every level.