Galway v Sligo -June 9th

Started by sligoman2, June 04, 2012, 04:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Cosmo trying to troll Roscommon in a Sligo-Galway match thread. Are you just that hardcore a despiser or do you come from John Maughan's club?

Rossfan

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on June 09, 2012, 08:19:41 PM
. I would suggest to those having a dig at John Maughan here that with a poorer overall bunch of players he had Roscommon in no worse a position than they are in now with somewhat better players managed by one of your own. And your man isnt getting a fraction of the abuse that John suffered at the time.

Maughtan had them worse after THREE (expensive) YEARS than when he took over.
The current ( cheap) man is only there 6 or 7 months  and things haven't been good.
There was plenty of anti Newton stuff on stolensheep  incl a 3 or 4 page thread entitled "Newton must go".
I think it's fair to say everyone will want Roscommon or London in the Qualifier draw. :'( :'( :'(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross4life

Something was clearly wrong with the Galway v Ros QF when Bergin was being instrumental in a Galway win. We now know the answer to the 'were Galway really good or were Ros really bad question' and it is as I had thought at the time. I would suggest to those having a dig at John Maughan here that with a poorer overall bunch of players he had Roscommon in no worse a position than they are in now with somewhat better players managed by one of your own. And your man isnt getting a fraction of the abuse that John suffered at the time.

Yes we got the answer Roscommon were that bad. For the record under Maughan we were hammered many times a lot bigger margins than 14 points (Crossmaglen game for one) & our only championship win under him was one lucky win v New york. Now if you think where in "no worse position " now then you are trolling & remember he was also our manager in 2007 U-21 game v Mayo.

We as team & fans suffered a lot more under John Maughan even today we haven't fully recovered.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Cosmo Kramer

I can well believe that Maughan didn't come cheap, but he didn't force you to hire him either. I think he delivered as much as he was able to with the players he had. He didnt have good players to work with and he's only an average enough manager. Bad players and average manager equalled bad results. I just didn't like the way he was scapegoated at the time as though it was all his fault, I don't think anyone else would have got any more out of them.

Anyway I only mention it as he was brought up elsewhere in the thread. Similarly the outcome of this game as a pointer to Roscommons current position was brought up on this thread previously also. So no, I'm not trolling, just commenting on the thread as it has evolved.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

theticklemister

Fair dues Sligo, a great result. I think I'm turning into me da as I listened to the match out in the car where I got peace (and I live in the city and everything!!!!) Looking forward to Sunday Game tonight.

Love it when the underdogs in!!

Anybody any luck with the rte player up north? Did it work?

theticklemister

Feck....Clare getting it tight here!!

ross4life

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on June 09, 2012, 08:43:07 PM
I can well believe that Maughan didn't come cheap, but he didn't force you to hire him either. I think he delivered as much as he was able to with the players he had. He didnt have good players to work with and he's only an average enough manager. Bad players and average manager equalled bad results. I just didn't like the way he was scapegoated at the time as though it was all his fault, I don't think anyone else would have got any more out of them.

Anyway I only mention it as he was brought up elsewhere in the thread. Similarly the outcome of this game as a pointer to Roscommons current position was brought up on this thread previously also. So no, I'm not trolling, just commenting on the thread as it has evolved.

Maughan took over from the advice of his best buddy Carr the same Mr Carr that got more out of the same players. So one championship win (v New York) is delivering enough?

Yes you are trolling because nothing pleases you more than having a dig at us.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

jjjshabadoojnr

Listened to the game online on holidays. Sounded like a brilliant second half display with the full forward line unmarkable at times. Seems  that egan done a good job to curtail bradshaw going forward. Great to get to the Connacht Final again. Well done to all concerned. We always have a good year display wise when we go to NY.

magpie seanie

Quote from: jjjshabadoojnr on June 09, 2012, 09:15:39 PM
Listened to the game online on holidays. Sounded like a brilliant second half display with the full forward line unmarkable at times. Seems  that egan done a good job to curtail bradshaw going forward. Great to get to the Connacht Final again. Well done to all concerned. We always have a good year display wise when we go to NY.

Was just thinking that. 2002, 2007 and 2012.

Sligo GAA badly, badly needed that result today. Thanks lads.

seafoid

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 09, 2012, 09:22:35 PM

Best of luck in the final to the Sligo lads.
The Galway resurrection is a multi year job.
I hope we get Meath in the qualifiers though. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

moysider

Well done to Sligo, they've had Galways number more often than not in the last few years and showed that they can still produce big results when they need to and can get most of their best players on the field. Would EOH be likely to be back for the final, he could strengthen them even more?

Something was clearly wrong with the Galway v Ros QF when Bergin was being instrumental in a Galway win. We now know the answer to the 'were Galway really good or were Ros really bad question' and it is as I had thought at the time. I would suggest to those having a dig at John Maughan here that with a poorer overall bunch of players he had Roscommon in no worse a position than they are in now with somewhat better players managed by one of your own. And your man isnt getting a fraction of the abuse that John suffered at the time.

From a Mayo (and Leitrim) point of view today's result is a mixed bag really. Instead of having to play a resurgent Galway in the final the winners of our semi will have to play a resurgent Sligo instead. And they're clearly a much better team than Galway on today's showing. Can anyone clarify for definite the venue situation for a potential Mayo Sligo final? I was under the impression that such games always had to be played at neutral venues but is that definitely the case? I suppose the alternative argument would be that it's not our fault that Sligo's ground isn't big enough. Hopefully someone can clarify for definite either way.

Can t argue with any of the above. Last time we played Sligo it was in Markievicz Park in 2010. Its a home and away fixture regardless of final or not.

Cosmo Kramer

Actually the New York thing is an interesting point. It's not always the case, but teams often do better in a New York year and I don't think that it is a coincidence. I remember Mayo players commenting on the New York trip in 2004 and the training camp upstate after the game as a key factor in their good run that year. We won Connacht both years we went to NY (2004 and 2009). We also won in 1999 after playing them but that game was in Castlebar.

Just for the record 'having a dig' at Roscommon isn't even in the top 10 of things that please me. There's more to life than football - there needs to be when you follow Mayo!
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on June 09, 2012, 09:29:22 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on June 09, 2012, 09:22:35 PM

Best of luck in the final to the Sligo lads.
The Galway resurrection is a multi year job.
I hope we get Meath in the qualifiers though.
Revenge for last year's qualifier defeat?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

sans pessimism

Sligonian whats your opinion of KW now
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

moysider

Quote from: moysider on June 09, 2012, 09:30:47 PM
Well done to Sligo, they've had Galways number more often than not in the last few years and showed that they can still produce big results when they need to and can get most of their best players on the field. Would EOH be likely to be back for the final, he could strengthen them even more?

From a Mayo (and Leitrim) point of view today's result is a mixed bag really. Instead of having to play a resurgent Galway in the final the winners of our semi will have to play a resurgent Sligo instead. And they're clearly a much better team than Galway on today's showing. Can anyone clarify for definite the venue situation for a potential Mayo Sligo final? I was under the impression that such games always had to be played at neutral venues but is that definitely the case? I suppose the alternative argument would be that it's not our fault that Sligo's ground isn't big enough. Hopefully someone can clarify for definite either way.

Can t argue with any of the above. Last time we played Sligo it was in Markievicz Park in 2010. Its a home and away fixture regardless of final or not.

Jaysus I think I m going to have to back up the truck there.

Last 2 Galway/Sligo finals 2001/2007 have been neutral. McHale Park and Hyde respectively. The last Sligo/Mayo final was 1997 in Castlebar. In 81 it was in Castlebar and in 75 it was Castlebar followed by a replay in Markievicz Park.

Hmmmm. Maybe a new arrangement was introduced since 1997? If so I m disappointed my friend John Prenty allowed that one to sneak in ;)

So if we do beat Leitrim its going to be a final that doesn t happen much. There d be a bigger crowd and better atmosphere in McHale Park.