Galway v Sligo -June 9th

Started by sligoman2, June 04, 2012, 04:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

Seeing as the game is only 5 days away i thought i would see what the opinions are on this game.  Galway will deservedly be strong favourites and are flying after the demo job on Roscommon.
Tough assignment for us, Kelly should be back, im not sure about o'hara.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Blowitupref

Current odds Galway 1/5 Draw 10/1 Sligo 9/2.  Sligo not given much of chance the same type of odds as in 2007,2010 when they shocked the tribesmen.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

Should be a good match. Kevin Walsh is a fine manager and Sligo will be looking to make up for last year.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GalwayBayBoy

I imagine Galway will be made hot favourites after the Roscommon massacre but hard to see them having it so easy two games on the trot. It rarely works out like that. I don't think Kevin Walsh will be so naive to just allow his native county to play football around them. I'm sure he will look to get bodies back around their full- back line and not let Galway pick out players with long passes like they did with abandon against Roscommon. This is almost guaranteed to be a much tighter affair.

Salthill will be carnage with Mumford and Sons playing 500 yards away almost straight afterwards. Leave your cars in town.

SLIGONIAN

Im not going commenting on the game at all, enough inaccuracies written already ;), but lads myself and dad are going, ive been reading on other sites about this concert, parking is an issue. I reckon therell be a a bigger than usual crowd from Galway due to the last performance and return of meehan, and joyce still there, 12,000+ i reckon, i was in salthill in 06 and 10 and no problems with parking or traffic with crowds of 10,000..we are the furthest away in North Sligo so we'll be leaving earlier than usual..but any advice on  parking would be appreciated?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Blowitupref

If it comes down to management Kevin Walsh v Alan Mulholland i can only see a straight forward win for Galway however it depends on which Sligo turns up? the 2010 team that won v Mayo,Galway or the 2011 team that lost to Leitrim,Wicklow.

On another note. With a concert going on in Salthill why wasn't this game switched to Tuam?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

sligoman2

Is o'hara available?

We need to make sure we dont get destroyed at midfield, an area we have struggled at for years.

Anyone know when the teams will be announced?

moysider

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 04, 2012, 06:40:22 PM
If it comes down to management Kevin Walsh v Alan Mulholland i can only see a straight forward win for Galway however it depends on which Sligo turns up? the 2010 team that won v Mayo,Galway or the 2011 team that lost to Leitrim,Wicklow.

On another note. With a concert going on in Salthill why wasn't this game switched to Tuam?

??? How does that work?

I can t understand why these games are held in Tuam. It would be handier to get to Cusack Park in Ennis!

I ve often gone to neutral games in the province but I wouldn t dream of going to this. Also I can t imagine the Galway football people bite at this fixture. They came out a bit for the successful team 98-01 but were few on the ground before or since. They ll be expecting an easy win in this one and wont be gone on Salthill either. Tuam is the natural home of football in Galway - even moreso than Ballina is in Mayo ;) Expect 6-7000 for this in current climate.

magpie seanie

Quote from: sligoman2 on June 04, 2012, 07:13:02 PM
Is o'hara available?

We need to make sure we dont get destroyed at midfield, an area we have struggled at for years.

Anyone know when the teams will be announced?

Teams to be announced Wednesday I hear. Very hard to know where both teams are after facile first round games. I suspect Galway have made strides since we last met in c'ship in 2010. We definitely have improved on last year but we were pathetic last year. Are we up to the levels of those 2010 encounters or better - Saturday will tell.

sligoman2

I see on the independent that kelly and eamon o are both doubtful.  Not what i wanted to read.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway team is announced tonight. Don't imagine there will be many of any changes from the first game. Fiontan O'Curraoin is back from injury I think but will probably start on the bench.

joemamas

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 04, 2012, 06:33:24 PM
Im not going commenting on the game at all, enough inaccuracies written already ;), but lads myself and dad are going, ive been reading on other sites about this concert, parking is an issue. I reckon therell be a a bigger than usual crowd from Galway due to the last performance and return of meehan, and joyce still there, 12,000+ i reckon, i was in salthill in 06 and 10 and no problems with parking or traffic with crowds of 10,000..we are the furthest away in North Sligo so we'll be leaving earlier than usual..but any advice on  parking would be appreciated?

You could park in Bellaghy, lots of parking spots. You may even get invited in for tea. Take the short walk across the railway gates to Charlestown and get the Bus to Galway. 

P.S. Good luck Sunday, I hope you win.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: joemamas on June 05, 2012, 02:18:37 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 04, 2012, 06:33:24 PM

You could park in Bellaghy, lots of parking spots. You may even get invited in for tea. Take the short walk across the railway gates to Charlestown and get the Bus to Galway. 

P.S. Good luck Sunday, I hope you win.
good man
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

An Fhairche Abu

Sligo team named:

1    Philip Greene         St.John's           
2    Neil Ewing             Drumcliffe/Rosses Point           
3    Johnny Martyn      St.Mary's           
4    Ross Donovan      Eastern Harps    (Capt)       
5    Charles Harrison   St.John's           
6    Mark Quinn            St. Molaise Gaels           
7    Paul McGovern      Eastern Harps           
8    Shane McManus    Geevagh           
9    Eugene Mullen        Easkey           
10    Brendan Egan      Tourlestrane           
11    Pat Hughes           Geevagh           
12    Alan Costello        Coolera/Strandhill           
13    Stephen Coen      St.Mary's           
14    Adrian Marren      Curry           
15    Mark Breheny       St.Mary's   

seafoid