Club transfers

Started by SCFC, March 21, 2015, 03:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser Söze

Quote from: oneflewoverthecuckoonest on March 07, 2017, 10:56:48 PM
i am delighted that daly and conroy were refused dubious transfers. they come from small clubs who have enjoyed recent success and they would be best advised to stay put and help build the brand instead of making an individual fuss to play at a higher level.
I have sympathy with the kyle situation, Laois Gaa should be supporting small border outfits like this one and coming up with a plan to help give them stability or alternatively put in train a process to wind it down and accommodate the players elsewhere. the county board doing nil does not help, granting transfers out of kyle would be death by a thousand cuts.

the transfer of conroy in particular is puzzling. if I am correct, he played senior football in a gaels arrangement with ballyfin last year. why did his club not seek to cement that arrangement by organising a hurling gaels link up? or was senior b not of sufficient standard.
in conversation today with a member of the county executive who sat on the committee hearings last night, conroy was quizzed on his "portlaoise address" and the answers were not satisfactory, the chairman wondered why the player was using his home address for vouched expenses with the county team and supplied a different portlaoise address for the transfer!.

these Daly/Conroy style transfers bring us back to the thorny issue of the policy in this county of properly organising area/gaels teams within the current senior hurling and football championships. certain senior clubs will be against the idea, especially football ones, and unless policy is directed and led by the county board, it will remain a bone of contention.

finally I encountered an officer of slieve bloom in Roscrea last week and asked the question as to why they did no join up with Castletown or Ballyfin(my query). He said the one pre-condition his club presented to castletown for a Gaels join up was that the Gaels team would field in a neutral jersey. castletown would not entertain that proposition and there ended that potential link up. He told me Ballyfin never contacted them about joining up for hurling.  That is what I have been told, true or not.

Doesn't bother me either ways,but would that be a fairly unusual occurrence?
Considering the difference in level of the two clubs? Or would it be a normal thing?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Bueller

Quote from: oneflewoverthecuckoonest on March 07, 2017, 10:56:48 PM
i am delighted that daly and conroy were refused dubious transfers. they come from small clubs who have enjoyed recent success and they would be best advised to stay put and help build the brand instead of making an individual fuss to play at a higher level.
I have sympathy with the kyle situation, Laois Gaa should be supporting small border outfits like this one and coming up with a plan to help give them stability or alternatively put in train a process to wind it down and accommodate the players elsewhere. the county board doing nil does not help, granting transfers out of kyle would be death by a thousand cuts.

the transfer of conroy in particular is puzzling. if I am correct, he played senior football in a gaels arrangement with ballyfin last year. why did his club not seek to cement that arrangement by organising a hurling gaels link up? or was senior b not of sufficient standard.
in conversation today with a member of the county executive who sat on the committee hearings last night, conroy was quizzed on his "portlaoise address" and the answers were not satisfactory, the chairman wondered why the player was using his home address for vouched expenses with the county team and supplied a different portlaoise address for the transfer!.

these Daly/Conroy style transfers bring us back to the thorny issue of the policy in this county of properly organising area/gaels teams within the current senior hurling and football championships. certain senior clubs will be against the idea, especially football ones, and unless policy is directed and led by the county board, it will remain a bone of contention.

finally I encountered an officer of slieve bloom in Roscrea last week and asked the question as to why they did no join up with Castletown or Ballyfin(my query). He said the one pre-condition his club presented to castletown for a Gaels join up was that the Gaels team would field in a neutral jersey. castletown would not entertain that proposition and there ended that potential link up. He told me Ballyfin never contacted them about joining up for hurling.  That is what I have been told, true or not.

Re Conroy and Portlaoise, the County Chairman would be better advised to turn his gaze upon the Portlaoise Clubs hand in this and a number of other cases recently. Their behavior is despicable.

High Fielder

It actually doesn't bother me either way. But I like consistency and transparency. I have no interest in one rule for one and something completely different for another.

There is no such rule to retrospectively cancel transfers. I was being facetious. My broader point was that where people live has never been that much of a factor before, and that is commonly known. Why now?

honest hurler

Look in relation to this affair with Conroy of slieve bloom this I am told would never had happened if his club would have given him the chance to play Gaels with ballinkill and bear in mind that he was also willing to play with Castletown only as the officer has stated in a previous comment that his club wanted an neutral jersey also this is one other comment I will remind you all our county secretary has indorced the idea of Gaels

Pablo Escobar

Quote from: High Fielder on March 08, 2017, 10:13:39 AM
It actually doesn't bother me either way. But I like consistency and transparency. I have no interest in one rule for one and something completely different for another.

There is no such rule to retrospectively cancel transfers. I was being facetious. My broader point was that where people live has never been that much of a factor before, and that is commonly known. Why now?

Josephs role in this is despicable . No better than A certain club which you often berate . Same tactics used. The county board has changed it process and its great to see. The only hope is that it continues .l

Keyser Söze

Quote from: honest hurler on March 08, 2017, 11:35:08 AM
Look in relation to this affair with Conroy of slieve bloom this I am told would never had happened if his club would have given him the chance to play Gaels with ballinkill and bear in mind that he was also willing to play with Castletown only as the officer has stated in a previous comment that his club wanted an neutral jersey also this is one other comment I will remind you all our county secretary has indorced the idea of Gaels

He endorse or encourage whatever he likes- It's still up to the club's involved to agree on something.

Slieve Bloom failed to reach agreements with two different clubs. If what's written here is true it was Slieve Bloom who pulled out of both deals.
That doesn't reflect well on them- surely they were the club with most to gain from of reaching an agreement.

The amount of your posts that are solely about Ben Conroy is actually disturbing.

One other thing,

Quote from: Don Draper on March 08, 2017, 09:08:20 AM
That Buggy chap seems a good footballer doesnt he?
Did he transfer to Stradbally? When, at what age and from where?

High Fielder

Quote from: Pablo Escobar on March 08, 2017, 03:53:05 PM
Quote from: High Fielder on March 08, 2017, 10:13:39 AM

Josephs role in this is despicable . No better than A certain club which you often berate . Same tactics used. The county board has changed it process and its great to see. The only hope is that it continues .l

A club that I often berate?

As for a leopard changing its spots, I'm not so sure. Maybe there was nothing on this roundabout to make it look like a good ride. If this is the way it's going to be for everyone, then great. A lot of harm has been done because of previous decisions

hurlingmad

Oh well, onwards and upwards, lets see if b/k can retain or another football team can knock stradbally or portlaoise. This year is flying by

Keyser Söze

Quote from: clonadmad on March 09, 2017, 12:54:33 PM
http://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/home/238992/teenager-who-loves-gaelic-games-lost-to-gaa-as-transfer-to-portlaoise-is-turned-down.html

I saw the comment on facebook that precipitated this article. It was from the child's parent from what I can remember.
The child's condition is unfortunate, but there are several aspects of the article that I don't like.

I don't think the child's condition is that relevant to the rules around transfers. The original comment mentioned special food not being provided for him after blitzes etc and him having to leave because he felt left out. This was despite the parent having made the club aware of this.
I assume that the P/R U10/U12 teams were being fed from food supplied by parents of same? Unless of course they are being treated to post game meals by Bosco or someone?
Was there any reason that this parent couldn't have chipped in and provide some of the food that suits the child's diet. I'm assuming that at least some of the food provided came from parents?

While it is harsh that a child, once registered with a club, is a member for life (until a transfer), how else do we stop the better players all around the county moving to the strongest clubs at 14/15/16 years of age?
Well, this is a pathetic issue to raise.

clonadmad

You wonder what the motivation behind this,is with the Express in particular

Are they as quick to run with every comment left on facebook?.

the headline states hes "lost to GAA",im sure P/R will have him back,this sort of incorrect headline grabbing bollocks grinds my gears as well.

Its also my understanding that the man who left the comment on FB was a mentor on his sons teams for a period of time and that the son and Im open to correction here,played on P/R teams in 2016 and 2015.

hardly the proper angle of attack to be taking.

SCFC

What an atrocious article. The "journalist", and I use the term very f***ing loosely, that wrote that should hang his head.
Did he ever hear of balance? Did he look for a statement from Laois GAA or Park Ratheniska GAA?
A completely one sided argument in the piece. Terrible. Referring to Portlaoise in the piece as the lad's home club. Wrong. Your home club is the first club you are registered with, in this case Park Ratheniska.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: SCFC on March 09, 2017, 07:38:59 PM
What an atrocious article. The "journalist", and I use the term very f***ing loosely, that wrote that should hang his head.
Did he ever hear of balance? Did he look for a statement from Laois GAA or Park Ratheniska GAA?
A completely one sided argument in the piece. Terrible. Referring to Portlaoise in the piece as the lad's home club. Wrong. Your home club is the first club you are registered with, in this case Park Ratheniska.

It's just taking the handy way out. It's a clickbait article which will provoke the ire of those who love to jump on any crusading bandwagon.
It will be shared and commented on all around the country.
And it is exactly the kind of article that sees a journalist invited onto the likes of Joe Duffy to tell us all the background etc of.

If I were involved with Park Ratheniska I think I'd be looking for a clarification or retraction of some sort. Hard to do without starting a tit for tat over and back, but as you say, no comment from either source (and no indication that either were asked) is atrocious journalism.

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

the standard of journalism at the leinster express is at an all time low, the rag is in survival mode and the truth is that the poor sods paying for the memorial notices etc are keeping it afloat. the sports production is stale and lacking innovation, the paper is normally used by a young sports journalist as a step ladder to a bigger job.

it was disgusting to be this Facebook whinge given oxygen. I would imagine all those who failed to get the positive nod in the transfer meeting the other night would vent their anger in the immediate aftermath of rejection, best to give them breathing room and let the hare sit before adding fuel in a journalistic manner to the fire.

I assume this is the same journalist who went running to the mainstream media with his sensational headlines that Port were at war with other sports. Although Shaggy Leavy may have worded his views incorrectly about the problem Port had in attracting kids to the GAA, one could see some merit in his expression. The GAA is in a battle with other sports for the raw material which is kids, and if we don't accept this fact then we are in trouble long term......the journalist turned Shaggy's remarks into a national issue for a few days.

said journalist, and he is likely to be snooping around these parts for crumbs, would want to reflect that keeping stuff in-house serve all better, rather than selling stories for personal gain.

Negan

It's not in any clubs interest to reply to that article. As we all see it's disgraceful journalism and anyone with a brain in their head will realise that. My sympathies to the child but if what has been said here is true, his father has been very foolish. Says it all that it's come from the news desk at the express and not the sports desk.