FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/derby-county-sack-richard-keogh-after-he-refuses-pay-cut-1.4067246?mode=amp

Republic of Ireland defender Richard Keogh has been left distraught after Derby County sacked him on Wednesday. The club captain suffered serious knee ligament injuries when he was in the car that his team-mate Tom Lawrence crashed into a lamppost after a boozy night out on September 24th.

Keogh, 33, has undergone surgery and is expected to be out for 12-14 months, giving him a return date of the end of next year. His contract, which paid him £24,000 a week, was set to expire in June 2020.

Derby had told Keogh that he could stay and see out his deal with them. Yet they stunned the central defender by saying that he had to accept a massive pay cut in order to do so. The Guardian understands that Derby offered him only a fraction of the money that he would otherwise have collected over the remainder of his contract.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

An Watcher

Surely he would have a case considering the other two were only fined six weeks wages and they were driving!

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: An Watcher on October 30, 2019, 08:14:19 PM
Surely he would have a case considering the other two were only fined six weeks wages and they were driving!
They didn't fock up their ACL's and weren't club captain.

An Watcher

I would have thought drunk driving is a much worse offence than sleeping in the back seat

From the Bunker

Quote from: hardstation on October 30, 2019, 10:07:47 PM
Quote from: An Watcher on October 30, 2019, 09:49:22 PM
I would have thought drunk driving is a much worse offence than sleeping in the back seat
He was badly injured, at the wrong age, and was going to be no use to them.

This is not a moral decision, this is a book keeping decision.

David McKeown

I think though Derby could be in big trouble here. It's hard for them to say that this was a Gross Misconduct that should result in termination and also say but it won't be termination if you take a big pay cut. Either it was grounds for termination or it wasn't. I should add I think it was but from what we know so far I would be concerned for Derby.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Dougal Maguire

Hardstation, I never realised you were a legal man.
Careful now

Itchy

Business decision. They probably know he'll do them for unfair dismissal and he will win however it will be cheaper than having a man on his salary suit out the end of his career in the bench. However, whatever mistake he made, that's a shitty way to treat club captain and long serving player.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 30, 2019, 10:14:07 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 30, 2019, 10:07:47 PM
Quote from: An Watcher on October 30, 2019, 09:49:22 PM
He was badly injured, at the wrong age, and was going to be no use to them.

This is not a moral decision, this is a book keeping decision.

A bit of both I think

David McKeown

Quote from: hardstation on October 30, 2019, 10:37:01 PM
Unless it says in his contract, "If you injure yourself acting a knob, we're cutting your wages for the duration that you are not available for selection. If you don't accept that, you can fcuk off."

If the contract gave them the option to cut his wages like that then it would be very strange that it would also require him to agree.

Also I doubt any Tribunal if it found in his favour would ever award less than the remaining value of the contract unless he found a new club first. Which manager was it sued Newcastle a few years ago for constructive dismissal and got more than the value of their contract?

JohnDenver

Quote from: David McKeown on October 31, 2019, 08:50:23 AM
Quote from: hardstation on October 30, 2019, 10:37:01 PM
Unless it says in his contract, "If you injure yourself acting a knob, we're cutting your wages for the duration that you are not available for selection. If you don't accept that, you can fcuk off."

If the contract gave them the option to cut his wages like that then it would be very strange that it would also require him to agree.

Also I doubt any Tribunal if it found in his favour would ever award less than the remaining value of the contract unless he found a new club first. Which manager was it sued Newcastle a few years ago for constructive dismissal and got more than the value of their contract?

Almost sure that was Sam Allardyce. The talk was after it he built a villa in spain using the payout, and it was labelled Casa St. James.

lurganblue

Bad doing that.  The two drunk drivers aren't sacked but the passenger is.

Taylor

I am more shocked that anyone is surprised at this.

Football is a business now - it isnt about loyalty or anything like it.

The two drunk drivers are worth money so they wouldnt sack them.

Keogh should and will get money for unfair dismissal (unless something specific in his contract) but I assume they have worked it out that it will be cheaper to pay him off rather than him finish his career on the bench.

David McKeown

Quote from: Taylor on October 31, 2019, 11:27:59 AM

Keogh should and will get money for unfair dismissal (unless something specific in his contract) but I assume they have worked it out that it will be cheaper to pay him off rather than him finish his career on the bench.

I'd be very surprised if it was. I doubt agents lawyers etc would allow players to sign what would effectively be non guaranteed contracts.

Itchy

Quote from: Taylor on October 31, 2019, 11:27:59 AM

Thats true, but normally they like to publicly masquerade as being loyal to captains, long serving players and fans. Of course its all shite. Even your average soccer fan down the pub in Derby is sure to see this for what it is, a cruel calculated financial decision.