Tyrone Club Fixtures 2014 - Lets try and help them sort it out

Started by WeeDonns, October 25, 2013, 03:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WeeDonns

The 12th is on a Saturday with the Bank Holiday on the Monday.
Would the "12th Fortnight" be from 5th/6th - 19th/20th July? or 12th/13th - 26th/27th?

Also; Is there some sort of other holiday period for the North Tyrone clubs? I've heard of it but never really understood why it existed..

WeeDonns

Quote from: WeeDonns on October 28, 2013, 09:31:52 AM

In the links below, you can see how we could have 10 league games played by the July break, if;

- We play on the 2x bank holiday weekends - Friday nights I'm sure would be preferred?
- the first 3 rounds are starred games ( Round 1 definitely starred, 2& 3 only if Tyrone make league Semi & Final)
- Play on Fri/Sat if Tyrone have a league game on Sunday
- No games on Tyrone Championship weekends
- Easter weekend free

Scenario 1
Win Ulster, go all the way to AIF
•   Scenario 1A = Quarter Final A + Semi Final A
Fixtures_2014_Scenario_1A.xls
•   Scenario 1B = Quartet Final A + Semi Final B
Fixtures_2014_Scenario_1B.xls
•   Scenario 1C = Quarter Final B + Semi Final A
Fixtures_2014_Scenario_1C.xls
•   Scenario 1D = Quarter Final B + Semi Final B
Fixtures_2014_Scenario_1D.xls

* You could argue that we should play a starred round of fixtures on the weekend of the Preliminary round as the game is in Omagh, so it's not like people would be making a weekend away for it in Dublin etc like later on in the Championship

Looking at Friday night games, I'm not sure if that would be possible on the first May bank holiday as it may be too dark. Games are normally played at 6:15 and 7:30. Sunset is at 8:58PM so it would be getting dark towards the end of the Senior game.
The earliest Friday night game i can see in recent years has been 17th May with sunset at 9:22PM. The second May bank holiday shouldn't be a problem.

As this is a Friday night round, with many people coming straight from work, could you fixture this as a 'local round' where distances between clubs needs to be under 30mins??
With that in mind, do you think clubs would play a reserve game on a Thursday and the Senior game on Friday?

LeoMc

Quote from: WeeDonns on October 28, 2013, 11:40:31 AM
Quote from: WeeDonns on October 28, 2013, 09:31:52 AM

In the links below, you can see how we could have 10 league games played by the July break, if;

- We play on the 2x bank holiday weekends - Friday nights I'm sure would be preferred?
- the first 3 rounds are starred games ( Round 1 definitely starred, 2& 3 only if Tyrone make league Semi & Final)
- Play on Fri/Sat if Tyrone have a league game on Sunday
- No games on Tyrone Championship weekends
- Easter weekend free

Scenario 1
Win Ulster, go all the way to AIF
•   Scenario 1A = Quarter Final A + Semi Final A
Fixtures_2014_Scenario_1A.xls
•   Scenario 1B = Quartet Final A + Semi Final B
Fixtures_2014_Scenario_1B.xls
•   Scenario 1C = Quarter Final B + Semi Final A
Fixtures_2014_Scenario_1C.xls
•   Scenario 1D = Quarter Final B + Semi Final B
Fixtures_2014_Scenario_1D.xls

* You could argue that we should play a starred round of fixtures on the weekend of the Preliminary round as the game is in Omagh, so it's not like people would be making a weekend away for it in Dublin etc like later on in the Championship

Looking at Friday night games, I'm not sure if that would be possible on the first May bank holiday as it may be too dark. Games are normally played at 6:15 and 7:30. Sunset is at 8:58PM so it would be getting dark towards the end of the Senior game.
The earliest Friday night game i can see in recent years has been 17th May with sunset at 9:22PM. The second May bank holiday shouldn't be a problem.

As this is a Friday night round, with many people coming straight from work, could you fixture this as a 'local round' where distances between clubs needs to be under 30mins??
With that in mind, do you think clubs would play a reserve game on a Thursday and the Senior game on Friday?
Good call, I had been thinking reserve game on Saturdays to allow the Friday night matches to start earlier in the year but it puts pressure on panels to be able to field Saturday & Sunday.

I would (back in the day) have been OK with Thursday night training. For Senior clubs with big picks it would be an opportunity for the management to have a more focused senior training whilst most reserves were engaged elsewhere.

blewuporstuffed

Re the holiday period,
I think moving it till the august fornight may be the way to go.This would correspond with allireland qtr/semi finals if tyrone were to get that far, a period were there are likely to be no club games anyway.
I would say for most club players, when the holiday period is, doesnt matter so much, as long as there is prior notice that its coming up.
I would say as many compnies now take the august fortnight off as the july one anyway.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

WeeDonns

Lots of great stuff there Fionntamhnach.

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 28, 2013, 01:25:48 PM* What appears to be the ideal time for the first round of club championship games is around the end of July and start of August, depending on Tyrone's involvement in the All-Ireland series. This doesn't leave the 1st round being played too early while allowing some breathing room later in the year if needed.

I think most clubs would like a competitive league fixture inbetween the July break and their first Championship game, but if the July break is 7th-20th July inclusive, then we play a round of league fixtures the weekend of 26th/27th July and the following Saturday and Sunday (2nd & 3rd August) its the All-Ireland Quarter Finals.

So, have a round of league fixtures on 20th July, leaving the following weekend for the Championship first round? It eats into the July Holidays, but realistically managers would be organising challenge games that weekend anyway if the Championship was the following weekend

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 28, 2013, 01:25:48 PM
* The return of a double round of fixtures over a weekend should be considered in my opinion and arguably the two May Bank Holidays give the best opportunity for this to happen. Because of player commitment that is built up over this, it should happen no more than twice in the season. The double round weekends got a bad rep a few years ago in the 4 division set up when two of them were set on consecutive weekends meaning players played four games in nine days. To keep things in perspective, two Friday night fixtures should (a) as far as possible be between two teams within a 40-45 minute drive from each other, though it'll be difficult to meet this for all clubs, and (b) consideration should be given to the reserve tie of that fixture being played on the night before to allow all players enough time for travelling for each game and to allow for sunlight. Clubs which can play home games under floodlights should potentially be given attention to having home advantage on these rounds of games.

A double round of fixtures would help, but I'd be reluctant to do this for BOTH the May bank holidays. Simply because i enjoy my bank holiday weekends and think it would be unfair to use up both of them for football.
I'd definitely be keen on the Reserve game being played the night before, as if its 'put off until another date' it rarely gets played

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 28, 2013, 01:25:48 PM* If Tyrone are fortunate enough to reach the All-Ireland Semi-Final this year again, it should be the case that if an All-County League round of fixtures can't be played, the reserve league should continue on to its conclusion on Friday or Saturday evenings when that is the case from Friday 22nd August onwards with the first round of reserve championship games taking place on the 15th-17th August after the Senior/Intermediate/Junior Football Championship first round games played. Any Reserve championship game around this time from the quarter finals onwards should be fitted around fixtures where by there is at a minimum a two day gap from any league game. The senior part of the respective round of fixtures can be played later on, meaning (a) reserve players can get their season wrapped up quicker without being affected by county teams, (b) less likelyhood of walkovers being conceded in the reserve league, and (c) for the corresponding senior fixtures that may take place in October or November, the lack of a prior reserve game means the playing field should be in a better condition especially in poor weather.
Totally agree. Lets get this passed at the county convention...

WeeDonns

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 28, 2013, 02:43:58 PM
Re the holiday period,
I think moving it till the august fornight may be the way to go.This would correspond with All-Ireland qtr/semi finals if Tyrone were to get that far, a period were there are likely to be no club games anyway.
I would say for most club players, when the holiday period is, doesn't matter so much, as long as there is prior notice that its coming up.
I would say as many companies now take the august fortnight off as the July one anyway.
That would certainly make it easier and I know would suit a lot of players if they just knew for certain when they could book holidays and not have them clash, but I do know of some club players that can only take their holidays on those two weeks so it wouldn't be great for them.
I can't see it changing

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: WeeDonns on October 28, 2013, 02:54:53 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 28, 2013, 02:43:58 PM
Re the holiday period,
I think moving it till the august fornight may be the way to go.This would correspond with All-Ireland qtr/semi finals if Tyrone were to get that far, a period were there are likely to be no club games anyway.
I would say for most club players, when the holiday period is, doesn't matter so much, as long as there is prior notice that its coming up.
I would say as many companies now take the august fortnight off as the July one anyway.
That would certainly make it easier and I know would suit a lot of players if they just knew for certain when they could book holidays and not have them clash, but I do know of some club players that can only take their holidays on those two weeks so it wouldn't be great for them.
I can't see it changing
yeah im sure there are people who cant take their holidays in august, but likewise there would be some that cant take them in july either.
You cant suit everyone.
The point is, alot of years there ends up being no football that august fornight anyway due to tyrone involvement,if it was the holiday period then, taht wouldnt matter so much.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Under Lights

Agree with BUOS here. I personally play the game but can't take my holidays in July fortnight. We close the August one. Swings and roundabouts.

There needs to be more flexibility on the rounds as well. There were times this year where rounds could of been swapped around to suit better but didn't happen.

Take a look at last weekend- a lot of reserve fixtures didn't go ahead. Hard to keep reserve players particularly at it with the long delays etc

blewuporstuffed

QuoteThere needs to be more flexibility on the rounds as well. There were times this year where rounds could of been swapped around to suit better but didn't happen.

this is one of the things that could have saved alot of problems this year.
Rigidly sticking to the 'rounds' of games leaves a inflexible system an dends up taking more time overall.
Only the last 3 rounds or so should be in strict rounds like that

WeeDonns

I think now we're seeing how difficult this can be...

If we persevere with this I think we can come up with a decent blueprint

I'll apply Fionntamhnach's suggestions to the Calendars and upload later

giveherlong

Good work WeeDons- honestly think we need a someone like yourself in the County Board in charge of fixtures

stringbean

Quote from: giveherlong on October 29, 2013, 07:29:09 PM
Good work WeeDons- honestly think we need a someone like yourself in the County Board in charge of fixtures

I'll second that, great effort and showing bit of initiative and forward thinking.

What I don't think has been considered is if we have similar situation this year with seniors in back door and minors winning Ulster. I am a strong believer that no adult game should be postponed due to minor football.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: stringbean on October 29, 2013, 09:08:24 PM
Quote from: giveherlong on October 29, 2013, 07:29:09 PM

I'll second that, great effort and showing bit of initiative and forward thinking.

What I don't think has been considered is if we have similar situation this year with seniors in back door and minors winning Ulster. I am a strong believer that no adult game should be postponed due to minor football.
i would agree with that.
something has to give somewhere along the line, and clubs have to make some concessions in order for the fixtures to keep going.

WeeDonns

Don't worry, we'll accommodate for this too.
First of all we'll draw up calendars for all the Tyrone Senior possibilities, then Senior + Minor, then Senior + Minor + Club Championships, then the whole lot.

It'll take alot of rewriting but we'll get there so that there's a decent set of blueprints to follow

Please feel free to contribute, there's a template at the below link that has McKenna Cup, NFL, Ulster Championship, Qualifiers, All-Ireland Series and potential Club Championships & Ulster Club Championships penciled in...
http://tinyurl.com/puy3ysc
*Junior Championship Preliminary round needs added

- I don't think minor games should affect senior league games either. Maybe Championship games though?

blewuporstuffed

I think every club should have the opportunity to field their strongest side on championship day, so that should be taken into account, but certainly for the league, games need to continue on regardless of county minor football. If that means the lads are unable to play for their clubs, then so be it.