Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on September 24, 2020, 02:19:18 PM
Quote from: Pearse Blue on September 24, 2020, 02:03:50 PM
Quote from: NotedObserver on September 24, 2020, 12:20:12 PM
Michael Cassidy played around the middle against Kerry in the semi final and competed well. Has more about him than some of the other names mentioned.
Absolutely took to the cleaners by Paul Donaghy in the championship...

Completely right about McCann, will be nowhere near it.

Midfield definitely our weakest point, and possibly Donegals strongest point

I think Kennedy has the attributes to be a quality county midfielder - we've historically not been blessed with a lot of huge men in our panel but Kennedy definitely has the size, he's a decent footballer as well and has a bit of aggression about him. We need to invest in him over the next couple of years and hope he gets a bit of luck with injuries.

Last years under 20s had a big midfield partnership. Ruairi Gormley was captain and I thought he would have got a senior call up this year but it didn't happen. Does anyone know how he's been doing for Strabane? Strabane seem to be struggling as a side so I'd be worried for Gormley's progression the longer he spends removed from a county set up.

His under 20s midfield partner was Joe Oguz, who is on this year's under 20 team also. He's another big lad who I'd hope would push on over the next couple of years but I know he's had some bad luck with injuries and missed Errigal's championship games this year.

Oguz looks a better player than McDonnell from what I've seen.

It's an odd name, is he half Turkish or something?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

NotedObserver

Quote from: Angelo on September 24, 2020, 02:22:23 PM
Michael Cassidy played around the middle against Kerry in the semi final and competed well. Has more about him than some of the other names mentioned.

Cassidy was there to do a man marking job on Moran, he did an alright job on the day but he's not a midfielder.

Agreed but fair chance something similar will happen again against the tip sides

redzone

I think Kennedy has the attributes to be a quality county midfielder - we've historically not been blessed with a lot of huge men in our panel but Kennedy definitely has the size, he's a decent footballer as well and has a bit of aggression about him. We need to invest in him over the next couple of years and hope he gets a bit of luck with injuries.

Last years under 20s had a big midfield partnership. Ruairi Gormley was captain and I thought he would have got a senior call up this year but it didn't happen. Does anyone know how he's been doing for Strabane? Strabane seem to be struggling as a side so I'd be worried for Gormley's progression the longer he spends removed from a county set up.

His under 20s midfield partner was Joe Oguz, who is on this year's under 20 team also. He's another big lad who I'd hope would push on over the next couple of years but I know he's had some bad luck with injuries and missed Errigal's championship games this year.
Were u at them u20 games, Gormley showed really nothing to say he would be a senior footballer. He looked at one stage he might, and he might yet butvOquz stood out. Mark mckeaney was brilliant last year and has been Dungannons best player this year to, he suit hartes style of play to.
One player that hasn't been mentioned is Matthew Walsh. He done a great man marking job on donnelly and could be a complete wildcard

Angelo

Quote from: redzone on September 24, 2020, 07:27:28 PM

Were u at them u20 games, Gormley showed really nothing to say he would be a senior footballer. He looked at one stage he might, and he might yet butvOquz stood out. Mark mckeaney was brilliant last year and has been Dungannons best player this year to, he suit hartes style of play to.
One player that hasn't been mentioned is Matthew Walsh. He done a great man marking job on donnelly and could be a complete wildcard

Walsh was very impressive for Dungannon. I remember thinking he was the one player who looked like the Tyrone u21 side were carrying back in 2020 but he's had an excellent club campaign and has a great engine on him. But he probably doesn't offer us anything we don't already have.

McKearney was very impressive but looks a little slight for county level, what age is he?

redzone

Quote from: Angelo on September 24, 2020, 08:02:26 PM
Quote from: redzone on September 24, 2020, 07:27:28 PM

Walsh was very impressive for Dungannon. I remember thinking he was the one player who looked like the Tyrone u21 side were carrying back in 2020 but he's had an excellent club campaign and has a great engine on him. But he probably doesn't offer us anything we don't already have.

McKearney was very impressive but looks a little slight for county level, what age is he?
He was half forward on last year's u20 team. He's always in the thick of it. The talent that is available is unreal in Tyrone but the more u think about it the more harte needs to go. His man management skills are non existant. Hardly any supporters go to games anymore

clarshack

A new manager along with 5-6 new faces in the squad would get a lot more supporters back interested.

GlenMan

Quote from: clarshack on September 24, 2020, 09:38:06 PM
A new manager along with 5-6 new faces in the squad would get a lot more supporters back interested.

Who's first in line to takeover from Mickey? Probably Collie Holmes at this stage.

Angelo

Canavan always looked like the pre-ordained successor but he's probably too comfortable in his media role now and a bit out of touch with the managerial side.

Malachy O'Rourke probably has the best credentials but I would imagine it's likely to be an internal appointment.

There would be plenty of high profile names to be thrown about but none really stick out as all that encouraging.

I do think a freshness might be needed around now though.

square_ball

Quote from: GlenMan on September 24, 2020, 09:44:29 PM

Who's first in line to takeover from Mickey? Probably Collie Holmes at this stage.

A Tyrone championship on the CV will do him no harm but I'd suggest there'll not be a crazy amount of candidates. Is this Hartes last year for sure?

GlenMan

Quote from: square_ball on September 24, 2020, 10:30:02 PM

A Tyrone championship on the CV will do him no harm but I'd suggest there'll not be a crazy amount of candidates. Is this Hartes last year for sure?

It's definitely the last year of his contract but they may give him an extension given the circumstances this year.

sidelineball

They won't be giving him anything, he'll be taking any extension he sees fit. He will decide when he steps away.

Under Lights

Quote from: square_ball on September 24, 2020, 10:30:02 PM

Delivered Tyrone U17 All Ireland too

https://www.gaa.ie/football/news/tyrone-win-all-ireland-under-football-competition/

Localexpert

Quote from: sidelineball on September 24, 2020, 11:05:40 PM
They won't be giving him anything, he'll be taking any extension he sees fit. He will decide when he steps away.

Absolutely right he will never jump he will need to be pushed!

Onthe40

Holmes just trained Dungannon, he had 2 very good club men doing the mgmt side.. had an exceptional bunch of players in that u17 squad
been around a few clubs at this stage
im not sure he would be the obvious replacement

Christmas Lights

Quote from: sidelineball on September 24, 2020, 11:05:40 PM

And rightly so he should take the extension.  Always baffles me the amount of people who want to get rid of the greatest manager in the history of Tyrone GAA  :-\  The man delivered 3 All Irelands, a league title, numerous Ulster's and basically a McKenna cup every year.