19   Conan Grugan           An Ómaigh
20   Conal McCann           Coill an Chlochair
21   Aidan McCrory           Aireagal Chiaráin
22   Ben McDonnell           Aireagal Chiaráin
23   Ciaran McLaughlin   An Ómaigh
24   Conor Meyler           An Ómaigh
25   Ronan O'Neill           An Ómaigh
26   Liam Rafferty           An Gallbhaile
Was Mickey even at the game last Sunday?

Redhand Santa

Quote from: In hiding on February 07, 2019, 11:40:17 PM
Quote from: tyroneman on February 07, 2019, 11:15:23 PM
1    Niall Morgan           Éadan na dTorc
2   Michael McKernan   Oileán a'Ghuail
3   Ronan McNamee   Achadh Uí Aráin
4   Hugh Pat McGeary   Cabhán a'Chaortainn
5   Tiernan McCann           Coill an Chlochair
6   Rory Brennan           Trí Leac
7   Peter Harte           Aireagal Chiaráin
8   Brian Kennedy           Doire Lochain
9   Declan McClure           Cluain Eo
10   Matthew Donnelly   Trí Leac
11   Niall Sludden           An Droim Mhór
12   Kieran McGeary           Cabhán a'Chaortainn
13   Darren McCurry           Éadan na dTorc
14   Cathal McShane     E. R. Uí Néill
15   Lee Brennan           Trí Leac
16   Benny Gallen           Achadh Uí Aráin
17   Frank Burns           Cabhán a'Chaortainn
18   Kyle Coney           Ard Bó

I'd imagine there'll be 2 or 3 changes before the throw in so wouldn't read too much into that team. But if you are basing it on last Sunday about 10 players could easily be dropped, I'm not sure we would be able to replace them all.

SkillfulBill

Mickey ran out off ideas many years ago. To long in the tooth. Should have been gone years ago but the wise people in the county board bottled it no doubt Mickey will be there next year the year after and on and on.......

Redhand Santa

Quote from: SkillfulBill on February 08, 2019, 08:14:09 AM

Mickey ran out off ideas many years ago. To long in the tooth. Should have been gone years ago but the wise people in the county board bottled it no doubt Mickey will be there next year the year after and on and on.......

We were in an All Ireland final just 6 months ago!! Only the 6th in our 120 year history (4 of them under Harte). In the previous 2 years we won the Ulster title and the year before that we were in the All Ireland semi final.

I'm not sure what level of success some of you lads are expecting but I think a lot of you overrate the players and particularly the forwards available to us. Never mind the fact that Harte is getting us to All Ireland finals and competing at the top despite the county team expenditure  being the lowest out of the top teams and Tyrone being the 28th worst funded county from Croke Park.

I am critical of some aspects of our play and don't agree with some of Harte's team selections. But as usual some of the judgements on here seem way over the top.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Redhand Santa on February 08, 2019, 09:12:31 AM
Quote from: SkillfulBill on February 08, 2019, 08:14:09 AM

We were in an All Ireland final just 6 months ago!! Only the 6th in our 120 year history (4 of them under Harte). In the previous 2 years we won the Ulster title and the year before that we were in the All Ireland semi final.

I'm not sure what level of success some of you lads are expecting but I think a lot of you overrate the players and particularly the forwards available to us. Never mind the fact that Harte is getting us to All Ireland finals and competing at the top despite the county team expenditure  being the lowest out of the top teams and Tyrone being the 28th worst funded county from Croke Park.

I am critical of some aspects of our play and don't agree with some of Harte's team selections. But as usual some of the judgements on here seem way over the top.
Some people want a change, which is fair enough if you think Mickey's been there too long and there's someone better there to take on the lead. But some people just don't like Mickey and want rid of him regardless of whether that will help or hinder the team. I just find that bizarre. I don't particularly like everything Mickey does or how he does it. But I still think he's a great manager.
If we as a county are at each other's throats given our relative success over the last number of years (We don't have an entitlement to be in the running for AI finals, semi finals, Ulster titles etc) imagine what we would be like with a mediocre manager and mediocre results. There might be no AI Finals, Ulster Finals, Semi or quarter finals and imagine how much bitching there would be then about the manager. Who the feck would want to do it? I was of the view after 2017 that maybe it was time for Mickey to step away. But he got us to an AI final last year. And we were beat by Dublin, can't see the shame in that. That's enough for me to say he's entitled to another crack at it this year. If we bow out in July then yes you could justify some of the clambering for a change. But not the year after getting to an AI final (With, what in my view is a good but nowhere near great squad) and getting beat by one of the greatest teams ever.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Redhand Santa

Imagine when he leaves and we drop down to the same level as some of the other previously successful counties like Down, Armagh or Derry have done in recent years. There will be some yapping done then, god help who is in charge at that point. The issue is we hit a golden generation of players in the 2000s and combined it with a great manager leading to unbelievable success for a county like Tyrone. This has lead to supporters being spoilt.

We have still did well in recent years and 25 plus counties would love to be in our position. It's easy when a county is doing less well after such success to have someone to blame like the manager. It's an easy excuse for not supporting the team when they aren't winning All Irelands.

SkillfulBill

Quote from: Redhand Santa on February 08, 2019, 09:50:24 AM
Imagine when he leaves and we drop down to the same level as some of the other previously successful counties like Down, Armagh or Derry have done in recent years. There will be some yapping done then, god help who is in charge at that point. The issue is we hit a golden generation of players in the 2000s and combined it with a great manager leading to unbelievable success for a county like Tyrone. This has lead to supporters being spoilt.

We have still did well in recent years and 25 plus counties would love to be in our position. It's easy when a county is doing less well after such success to have someone to blame like the manager. It's an easy excuse for not supporting the team when they aren't winning All Irelands.

My God that is some rant. I have nothing personal against Mickey and I understand we got to an All Ireland last year but let's face facts our run to the final last year was hardly laced with outstanding victories against top opposition. We were beat 3 times in the champions in one year....for what it's worth it is my opinion that the time for change was a few years ago and we have got ourselves into a position that the management of our county has become a full time post in which we have allowed people to become dependent  on to allow them to earn a living and it becomes very difficult for either party to let go. It is only an opinion don't shoot me for it.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: SkillfulBill on February 08, 2019, 10:14:09 AM

My God that is some rant. I have nothing personal against Mickey and I understand we got to an All Ireland last year but let's face facts our run to the final last year was hardly laced with outstanding victories against top opposition. We were beat 3 times in the champions in one year....for what it's worth it is my opinion that the time for change was a few years ago and we have got ourselves into a position that the management of our county has become a full time post in which we have allowed people to become dependent  on to allow them to earn a living and it becomes very difficult for either party to let go. It is only an opinion don't shoot me for it.

We did indeed lose 3 times in the championship. Twice of them were against Dublin who are possibly the greatest teams ever and resources we could only dream about. The other against Monaghan was reversed later in the championship in a crucial knockout game.

I don't see a change in management improving our fortunes, I'd imagine it'll have the opposite effect. It's get a few more behind the team in the short term but once results start going badly they'll turn on the new management fairly quickly.

I personally thought our victory in Donegal last year was our best championship win in ten years. Away to the ulster champions with an excellent home record and 3 or 4 points down at half time, it was a great result. It's probably unfair on Monaghan that people don't respect the victory against them enough in the semi final.

I think anyone who looks objectively at the Tyrone players and resources available and compares it to what we have done in the last 3/4 years would say the management is doing a good job at getting the best out of the team. Is it enough to win the All Ireland? Probably not unless we find something extra, but I'm not sure that's down to management.

In hiding

Quote from: Redhand Santa on February 08, 2019, 10:25:21 AM

We did indeed lose 3 times in the championship. Twice of them were against Dublin who are possibly the greatest teams ever and resources we could only dream about. The other against Monaghan was reversed later in the championship in a crucial knockout game.

I don't see a change in management improving our fortunes, I'd imagine it'll have the opposite effect. It's get a few more behind the team in the short term but once results start going badly they'll turn on the new management fairly quickly.

I personally thought our victory in Donegal last year was our best championship win in ten years. Away to the ulster champions with an excellent home record and 3 or 4 points down at half time, it was a great result. It's probably unfair on Monaghan that people don't respect the victory against them enough in the semi final.

I think anyone who looks objectively at the Tyrone players and resources available and compares it to what we have done in the last 3/4 years would say the management is doing a good job at getting the best out of the team. Is it enough to win the All Ireland? Probably not unless we find something extra, but I'm not sure that's down to management.

You've mentioned limited resources a few times now. 4 different groups have won all Ireland titles in 04, 08, 10 and 15. A lot of counties would be fairly pleased with those limited resources. Or maybe Mickey was responsible for those wins too

Redhand Santa

Quote from: In hiding on February 08, 2019, 10:36:21 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on February 08, 2019, 10:25:21 AM

You've mentioned limited resources a few times now. 4 different groups have won all Ireland titles in 04, 08, 10 and 15. A lot of counties would be fairly pleased with those limited resources. Or maybe Mickey was responsible for those wins too

The limited resources I referred to was spending on the team compared to the other top counties like Mayo and Dublin. They have huge backroom teams and money being spent on the team.

We have got through a number of players from them underage teams and they have helped us stay as a top 5/6 county. But underage success is no guarantee of senior success and we are up against the Dubs who won 4 u21 titles this decade (u21 success is more likely to translate to senior success than minors). They are the county who are combining that underage success with huge money, so it is a struggle for us to get past them.

clarshack

Quote from: Redhand Santa on February 08, 2019, 10:44:26 AM
We have got through a number of players from them underage teams and they have helped us stay as a top 5/6 county. But underage success is no guarantee of senior success and we are up against the Dubs who won 4 u21 titles this decade (u21 success is more likely to translate to senior success than minors). They are the county who are combining that underage success with huge money, so it is a struggle for us to get past them.

it is but at same time it is also worrying that Tyrone haven't won an Ulster Minor since 2012 (u-17 success in 2017 excluded). the longest drought at that level prior to this was between 1978-1988. we just don't seem to be producing the same quality of footballers consistently compared to previous eras.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: clarshack on February 08, 2019, 11:18:47 AM

it is but at same time it is also worrying that Tyrone haven't won an Ulster Minor since 2012 (u-17 success in 2017 excluded). the longest drought at that level prior to this was between 1978-1988. we just don't seem to be producing the same quality of footballers consistently compared to previous eras.

Agreed. We have definitely slipped back badly at underage level compared to the 2000's. That 2015 u21 success was a one off at that level as we have struggled at the grade consistently this last ten years as well. That was our only year to even win the ulster title. Ulster titles have also dried up at minor level where we have been playing second fiddle to Derry. Certainly a worrying trend for going forward.

deadman

Also at schools level. Ten years since a Tyrone MacRory Cup success (Academy Dungannon in '09). Academy won Hogan in '08 and Omagh CBS won MacRory in '07, a real boom time for Tyrone school football.
That said, HTC Cookstown won the McLarnon last year.

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: Redhand Santa on February 08, 2019, 11:38:11 AM

Agreed. We have definitely slipped back badly at underage level compared to the 2000's. That 2015 u21 success was a one off at that level as we have struggled at the grade consistently this last ten years as well. That was our only year to even win the ulster title. Ulster titles have also dried up at minor level where we have been playing second fiddle to Derry. Certainly a worrying trend for going forward.
We did win the All Ireland U17 in 2017.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on February 08, 2019, 12:59:40 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on February 08, 2019, 11:38:11 AM

We did win the All Ireland U17 in 2017.

It's a long way from under 17 to senior success. I'd be hoping for a big couple of years at under 20 now with that winning under 17 team reaching that age. For this reason I think it would be disappointing if Canavan wasn't playing with the u20s this year