P.D.'s = Politically dead?

Started by Owenmoresider, September 17, 2008, 12:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mentalman

Quote from: Zapatista on September 18, 2008, 08:17:10 AM
Quote from: kingsarse on September 17, 2008, 09:42:17 PM
A sad day. Mark my words, we will all regret their passing in years to come, when vested interests, public sector unions primary among them, drive this country into the ground again.

Take a look around ye FFS.

Well said. They did sweet FA about vested interests & public sector unions. Their biggest "victory" as far as vested interests was clobbering the taxi men - easy targets. As for public sector unions, a PD minister delivered onto us the HSE, with it's corresponding increase in obselete public servants. They lost their way under Harney when they well and truely got into bed with FF and decided to bask in the glory of an economic boom, instead of pushing ahead with their liberal agenda when the money was there to see it to fruition.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

muppet

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 17, 2008, 06:52:45 PM
The PDs were needed back in the 80s when the country was in a bad way economically.
There isn't much use for them now though.

A bit like leg warmers so.
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Quote from: Mentalman on September 18, 2008, 11:41:41 AM
[. They lost their way ......, instead of pushing ahead with their liberal agenda ....

So we could end up like that bastion of free liberal capitalism where the Government has to take over the biggest Financial Companies who fcuked up by having no one to call them to order.
Get a grip man.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Silky

FF by another name. No loss to the political land scape.

The Wedger

PDs vote to wind up political party
Saturday, 8 November 2008 17:51
A Progressive Democrat conference in Mullingar has voted to bring the party to an end.

After a discussion lasting over four hours, delegates then voted by holding voter registration cards aloft. The final tally was 201 votes to 161 against a motion to continue with the party.

The organisation will now be wound down.

Speculation will turn to the future of its senior figures such as Mary Harney and Fiona O'Malley.

Yesterday, Ms Harney said she would have to reflect on her position in the PDs if members voted to stay in existence.

Ms Harney said that those who want to keep the party going are more likely to attend today's meeting.

But she said that while she was not trying to bully the membership, she would have to reflect on her position in the party if members voted to keep it in existence.

Earlier, the party's founder said the PDs could not expect to continue as a political party.

In a letter to a meeting in Mullingar on the party's future, Des O'Malley said that realism and common sense demand that party members had to face the facts.

He added that the only realistic step is to commence the wind up of the party.

The letter was read by former PD Senator John Dardis at the request of Mr O'Malley.

At the meeting, some members have put forward a motion to keep the party going, although party leader Ciaran Cannon, Minister for Health Mary Harney and the other Oireachtas members believe it is time to bring the PDs to an end.

Going into the day-long conference Mr Cannon said members should vote with their heads and not their hearts in bringing the party to a dignified end.

Ms Harney received a standing ovation after she delivered a strong speech to the conference.

Speaking ahead of the meeting, she said that people needed to be pragmatic in deciding the future of the organisation.

She said the party was failing to attract voters and was no longer viable.

Galway West TD Noel Grealish said that he hoped undecided delegates would be convinced after today's debate that the way forward is to fold the PD tent.

He said since the party was formed in 1985 the vote of the party has consistently gone down.

It is just over seven weeks since the leadership of the PDs came to the conclusion that the party is no longer politically viable.

The Wedger

Rossfan

Quote from: Rossfan on September 17, 2008, 09:34:45 PM
It will be one of the happiest days of my life when that shower of ***********s wind up as they were nothing but a cancer on the fair face of my country. :D ;D
And to think that we in Ros let ourselves be represented by a Longford PD  from 2002 to 2007.
The eternal shame of it. :-[ :-[ :-[

GOOD RIDDANCE TO THE BSATRADS .

I have nothing further to add  ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

TacadoirArdMhacha

From the news footage last night it sounds as though there are enough party memebers disaffected to ensure that some sort of a political movement will rise from the ashes though legally they'll probably have a different name.

Is Harney likely to join Fianna Fáil?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead