The early bird catches the worm

Started by ONeill, January 19, 2009, 07:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Computer Worm Goes Out Of Control

A computer virus attacking Microsoft Windows has infected almost nine million machines and is spreading faster than ever before.

Experts say the worm has "skyrocketed" in recent days.

It is sweeping through thousands of offices in the UK and has affected computers at the Ministry of Defence.

The virus - known variously as Conficker, Kido or Downadup - burrows deep into the operating system and tricks the machine into running the infected program.

Once the worm is running on the computer it automatically starts to download more malicious programs from hackers' websites, with devastating effects.

The majority of computers infected by the worm, which was first identified in October, are in Russia, China, Brazil and India. But the virus is now taking hold in the UK.

The worm has password cracking capabilities, often successful because company passwords sometimes match a predefined password list that it carries.

Eddy Willems, a security analyst with anti-virus firm Kaspersky Labs, said that a new strain of the worm was now causing additional problems.

Computer users are advised to ensure their anti-virus software, operating system and firewall is up to date, and that they have installed a Microsoft patch designed to combat the problem.

Experts have also warned the virus could spread by copying itself to USB memory sticks shared between computers, and urged users to use caution.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Bud Wiser

QuoteThe virus - known variously as Conficker, Kido or Downadup
I know nawthing about these computers so I went to "Google Images" and I input Kido to see could I see the virus, except that I put in Dido by mistake and got meself a box in the jaw from the woman looking over my shoulder with the mug of tae. 
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

ziggysego

Thank God I got myself an iMac last week ;)
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

Quote from: ziggysego on January 19, 2009, 08:23:44 PM
Thank God I got myself an iMac last week ;)

Starting to head that direction too Ziggy.

ziggysego

Should be arriving next week ONeill. I'll let you know what I think of it. Anyone I know that has made the jump, said they wouldn't go back to Windows again.
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

Quote from: ziggysego on January 19, 2009, 08:32:40 PM
Should be arriving next week ONeill. I'll let you know what I think of it. Anyone I know that has made the jump, said they wouldn't go back to Windows again.

I use an imac at the weekends and during the day at work. Very user friendly. The only downside is some (very few) sites aren't mac friendly.

ziggysego

Really? A mate of mine from Urney got one before Christmas and said that Safari was great on the iMac. What browser are you using?
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

Yes, Safari. 99% fine but when watching streamed matches there are some programmes (sopcast etc) that don't work on mac. No big deal though. Brilliant for graphics. Try to get 'pages' thrown in if you can - it's a package for making mags, posters etc - unreal ease.

ziggysego

Expensive?

Looking for Adobe CS4 Master Collection though. Apparently not out here yet.
Testing Accessibility

muppet

Quote from: Bud Wiser on January 19, 2009, 07:57:56 PM
QuoteThe virus - known variously as Conficker, Kido or Downadup
I know nawthing about these computers so I went to "Google Images" and I input Kido to see could I see the virus, except that I put in Dido by mistake and got meself a box in the jaw from the woman looking over my shoulder with the mug of tae. 

Jaysus a box in the jaw for typing Dido. Just as well you didn't type dildo.
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

Quote from: ziggysego on January 19, 2009, 09:04:15 PM
Expensive?

Looking for Adobe CS4 Master Collection though. Apparently not out here yet.

Not sure but probably is. I'd imagine you'd probably need the Adobe boyo for adventurous stuff.

ONeill

Quote from: hardstation on January 19, 2009, 09:11:34 PM
Quote from: ONeill on January 19, 2009, 08:43:36 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on January 19, 2009, 08:32:40 PM

I use an imac at the weekends and during the day at work. Very user friendly. The only downside is some (very few) sites aren't mac friendly.
Is there any need to go splashing out on one then? I suppose you "have so much money, you don't know what to do with it".

Herself does 4 nights now at the Albert Clock to supplement her jaunts to the medical experiments lab.

ziggysego

Trying to get into web designing in a serious way. Working on one at the moment, but I've gotten as far as I can with it in relation to what Windows will allow me.
Testing Accessibility

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: ziggysego on January 19, 2009, 09:15:40 PM
Trying to get into web designing in a serious way. Working on one at the moment, but I've gotten as far as I can with it in relation to what Windows will allow me.
In what way do you mean ?  :)
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

ziggysego

I've Windows XP Professional, which should allow ASP.net to run on it. It won't work. Have all the settings correct. Took it to a fella I know that fixes PCs professionally and it's set up to run perfectly. It just won't work.

Anyway, iMac is better for graphics and such, so I was going to move over eventually. This has just sped it up a bit.
Testing Accessibility