Help on setting up a new GAA Club in Green Bay.

Started by stew, January 25, 2013, 07:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Just wondering if anyone knows how you would go about setting up a gaelic football club in the states. I have been coaching soccer for about 20 years but since I started fusing some gaelic football into training there has been a lot of interest.

I thought I read on here a while back that the GAA charged plenty to start a new club, does anyone know what that total is???
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

DrinkingHarp

Stew,

You can contact the hurling club in Milwaukee. If you want I can get you some names of guys to contact in Chicago, just PM me.

DH
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Oraisteach

Stew, you are going to name them the Green Bay Pearse Og, right?  After all, green and yellow are Packer colours!

Eamonnca1

It's $100/year for the first three years, after that it goes up to $400/year.

See the <a href="http://www.northamericangaa.com/contentPage/108565/starting_a_club">North American GAA website</a> for details on how to start a new club. They'll fix you up with all the support you need.

armaghniac

QuoteStew, you are going to name them the Green Bay Pearse Og, right?

Call them Rangers, they'd be more likely to win something.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

Please don't call them the Gaels. There's the Seattle Gaels, Denver Gaels, Washington DC Gaels, Phoenix Gaels, Paris Gaels, Seoul Gaels, Barcelona Gaels, Vienna Gaels ... You'd think GAA clubs outside of Ireland would have a bit more imagination when it comes to picking a name.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Can we also try and avoid calling clubs after historical men and women of war for future clubs as its time to choose more open names. Also could future clubs avoid religious names for similar reasons.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

theticklemister

Are ye serious mayo? Im sure the wolfe tones and john mitchell men over in your town wouldnt be happy!! Lol.

Good luck in setting up the club stew!

Milltown Row2

Fcuk it, call it up the Ra Gaels!! Be a cracker and plenty of publicity, any publicity is .......
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Walter Cronc

Not the same topic so apologies but I've always wondered how the likes of Crossmaglen chose the name Rangers. Tuam Stars is another one. I'm sure a few eyebrows were raised when they announced that!

armaghniac

Whatever about the broader debate, some of these Irish historical figures have feck all to do with America. Maybe an Irish American, the Green Bay JFKs or the Green Bay Ulysses S. Grants might have a fighting quality, or perhaps someone more associated with that part of the world. 

armaghniac

QuoteYou have Nemo Rangers, Laune Rangers.

Uncommonly successful name though, 3 sorts of Rangers have won 14 AI clubs,  whereas 4 sorts of Saints have only won 8, a few went to 2 teams named after Bishops. Those named after the national liberators haven't done so well, Wolfe Tone gets a look in but no sign of Pearse.

Shamrocks might be name for team.

Eamonnca1

If you think it's going to be the only club in the city then just name it after the city. There's plenty of clubs in Ireland that are named just after their town or townland.

I agree with Mayo on the religious/political thing.  It also looks very out of place in America when you name a club after a person. If you want to set up a club that attracts American-born players (which you should do if you want it to have a sustainable future) then you're going to have to pick a name that the American public can relate to.  And you can still do it with an Irish slant on things, like the San Francisco Celts, Pittsburgh Celtics, or Chicago Patriots.  I'd take your cues from American sports, not clubs based in Ireland.

maddog

Green Bay Harps and they will play in blue and white.

Deal done.

stew

Quote from: armaghniac on January 26, 2013, 08:02:27 PM
QuoteStew, you are going to name them the Green Bay Pearse Og, right?

Call them Rangers, they'd be more likely to win something.

Nah, funnily enough we are going to call then the Green Bay Harps if we go ahead.

Thanks to all with the help and advice, it is appreciated.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.