China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackers

Quote from: LCohen on November 23, 2020, 11:34:53 AM
It's possible that she got a call from Whitehall and told to wise up.
It's almost certain that she got a call from Westminister and was told to catch a grip.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

mackers

Quote from: armaghniac on November 23, 2020, 10:33:29 AM
Oxford vaccine at least 70% effective and likely to be 90% effective in certain dosage combinations. The best plan seems to be a low dose followed by a second slightly higher dose.
This is a really good, as this is already being produced and the logistics are straightforward as it can be kept in the fridge.
Definitely increases the chances of normality before the summer. Is it realistic to think that once the over 75's and vulnerable receive the vaccine in Jan/Feb 2021 there will be no more lockdowns? Social distancing and mask wearing to continue until mass vaccination is finished?
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

JimStynes

Rumours of schools closing early. So lockdown for 2 weeks and then when that's over, close the schools? So the children that are not in school can run about the shopping centres with their mates.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: JimStynes on November 23, 2020, 12:52:59 PM
Rumours of schools closing early. So lockdown for 2 weeks and then when that's over, close the schools? So the children that are not in school can run about the shopping centres with their mates.

The official line is schools and children to not contribute to the spread of the virus.

NAG1

If the schools close again surely they will have to look at the transfer test in January and GCSE's etc

So unfair to be putting children through an extra layer of stress in these times.

imtommygunn

That would be ridiculous. It is probably what will happen mind you.

I can't see any way that children don't contribute to the spread of this thing at all. We have a one year old in the house who tested positive. They said it can't happen. Well it has.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 23, 2020, 12:59:50 PM

That would be ridiculous. It is probably what will happen mind you.

I can't see any way that children don't contribute to the spread of this thing at all. We have a one year old in the house who tested positive. They said it can't happen. Well it has.

Was it not said that children to Nursey age were more susceptible. Then for some reason Primary school age it seems to lessen until they get to secondary school age where its rife?

imtommygunn

I hadn't read that so not sure on that tbh.

Anyone I talk to with schools of primary school age seem to have seen cases in their schools though. Maybe the number is lower but I'm not sure.

armaghniac

ban under 18s from shopping centres then, they buy feck all anyway.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Saffrongael

To placate the teachers and their unions I assume
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Pub Bore

Quote from: BennyCake on November 23, 2020, 11:27:12 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 23, 2020, 11:13:40 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 23, 2020, 11:12:18 AM
Scenes in Belfast this weekend getting a bit of airtime. Can only imagine what it will be like mid December when everything re opens....

Im sort of lost on what people want at this stage?

Open, shut, open and shut or what?

They want Tazering.

followed by a good boot up the hole.

GetOverTheBar

The idea behind schools closing early is so that they cannot be blamed for anyone having to isolate over the Xmas period. 

Assuming that goes ahead, you have to wonder what really is going on here.

square_ball

So what are you going to buy with your £200 vouchers?

Orior

I have a friend who firmly believes that the lockdowns are a complete over-reaction.
1) They claim that covid wards in some hospitals are practically empty.
2) They claim that lockdown and cancellation of hospital services has killed people for reasons other than covid.
3) They claim that flu kills just as many as covid
4) They claim that the death stats are severely skewed because many people have died in hospital from non-covid but get counted as covid

Can anyone help me counteract these arguments?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

imtommygunn

I would ask which hospitals for point 1. Most of them here at the minute seem pretty full and overall hospitals are at 100%+ occupancy.

I think that has been true when we are not in a "wave" but we currently are.

2 probably holds somewhere though how much who knows. 3 depends on 4 and 4 while there is some truth to some of it I think conspiracy theorists have latched onto it and I don't know how anyone would ever quantify it but I do believe it's skewed both ways and people have died at home with it too and not been recorded.