Premier League 2023-2024

Started by Dire Ear, July 31, 2022, 12:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: TabClear on Today at 09:54:39 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on Today at 09:31:58 AM
Quote from: tiempo on Today at 09:18:25 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on Today at 08:44:00 AMThe Theatre of wet dreams....

I'll get me coat.

But it reeks of owners who've bled the club dry and not one bean of their money will ever be spent on Manchester United.

How can you say that, just the £2.1bn in player acquisitions since they bought the club

And not one bean of it from the Glazers.

That was all revenue generated by Man Utd PLC.

True, but as owners they could have used the cash reserves to pay themselves dividends so it is their money. I dont disagree that they have been shocking owners but it is a case of spending money badly rather than not spending it.

Its the risks of being a plc as United was, there are benefits in terms of access to cash to invest and grow but you are vulnerable to an unwanted owner coming in.

That's the exact point they were paying themselves the dividends at the same time. So instead of redeveloping the stadium and training facilities alongside investing in the playing squad, they choose one.

The money has been invested badly in the playing squad but that comes from not having top quality football people making those calls, you had Ed Woodward with his finance background and no discernible footballing decision making structure.

But they dont care as long as the club keeps making money for them. 

gallsman

Quote from: NAG1 on Today at 09:57:51 AM

I'll get me coat.

But it reeks of owners who've bled the club dry and not one bean of their money will ever be spent on Manchester United.

How can you say that, just the £2.1bn in player acquisitions since they bought the club

True, but as owners they could have used the cash reserves to pay themselves dividends so it is their money. I dont disagree that they have been shocking owners but it is a case of spending money badly rather than not spending it.

Its the risks of being a plc as United was, there are benefits in terms of access to cash to invest and grow but you are vulnerable to an unwanted owner coming in.

That's the exact point they were paying themselves the dividends at the same time. So instead of redeveloping the stadium and training facilities alongside investing in the playing squad, they choose one.

The money has been invested badly in the playing squad but that comes from not having top quality football people making those calls, you had Ed Woodward with his finance background and no discernible footballing decision making structure.

Thankfully they have Sir Dave in place to fix all that going forward.

Look-Up!

Quote from: NAG1 on Today at 09:57:51 AM

I'll get me coat.

Do you think anything has changed with Ratcliffe coming onboard?

I'm not sure how it has. Spending money hasn't been the problem, if anything they spent too much. So ok, spend less plus restructure your budgets to address more capital investment, which is even less again for squad expenditure. That may not go down well with fans if the reality on the field is less glamourous.

Dividends is a sore issue but Glazers still control 50% so have voting rights on dividends? So they'll still want them and Ratcliffe is an investor so he'll quite happily go along with any dividends to be got. They keep attaching the moniker of billionaire to him, as if he's going to be putting his own money in. I can't see why he will, if he only own 25%, that would be stupid. So any investment will be by way of leverage, same as the Glazers? So essentially being a billionaire is of little consequence.

So what else is he bringing? He's an employee, in control of operations. A lot of the gripes before this was not having football men in charge. Could you call him a football man really? Ok, he might get a good director of football in, or he might not. At least that's how I see it.

tiempo

Ahhh the old ... not having top quality football people ... chestnut

One step removed from Neville's 'best in class' trope

So to address that they've acquired a 71yo billionaire minority shareholder supporter and Jason Wilcox

The football world is trembling at the prospect!

And if all else fails blame the Glazers, who to date have 5 PL titles and a European Cup under their tenure

NAG1

Quote from: tiempo on Today at 10:40:26 AMAhhh the old ... not having top quality football people ... chestnut

So to address that they've acquired a 71yo billionaire minority shareholder supporter and Jason Wilcox

And if all else fails blame the Glazers, who to date have 5 PL titles and a European Cup under their tenure

I don't know any other industry where you would have people making decisions on acquisitions who aren't experts in that given field. So sneer at the football people comment all you want, its a basic short hand for people making decisions about which they have experience and expertise in. But I'm guessing you know that already.

It isn't about one man either, it is about getting a structure in place that can make strategic footballing decisions that are not manager dependent, to prevent the club ending up in the position they currently are with a mish mash of players from 5 different managers.

In a proper structure which INEOS are attempting to put in place, this wouldn't be allowed to happen.

tiempo

Quote from: NAG1 on Today at 10:46:29 AM
Quote from: tiempo on Today at 10:40:26 AMAhhh the old ... not having top quality football people ... chestnut

I don't know any other industry where you would have people making decisions on acquisitions who aren't experts in that given field. So sneer at the football people comment all you want, its a basic short hand for people making decisions about which they have experience and expertise in. But I'm guessing you know that already.

It isn't about one man either, it is about getting a structure in place that can make strategic footballing decisions that are not manager dependent, to prevent the club ending up in the position they currently are with a mish mash of players from 5 different managers.

In a proper structure which INEOS are attempting to put in place, this wouldn't be allowed to happen.

You should of applied for the job by the sounds of it, they've just appointed a 71yo supporter after all, or would you be the technical expert, been tough up against Wilcox, apparently a dressing room jester in his time with not an ounce of sense, hope the due diligence is done on the latest raft of bluffers let through the door

Look on the bright side, a year or 2 at Wembley while the stadium is being redeveloped will make it easier for supporters to get to games

square_ball

United should have looked to appoint Richard Hughes, a very average footballer in his day, to the job. Or maybe their playing days have nothing to do with their ability to do the job they were hired to do. . .

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tiempo on Today at 11:09:24 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on Today at 10:46:29 AM

You should of applied for the job by the sounds of it, they've just appointed a 71yo supporter after all, or would you be the technical expert, been tough up against Wilcox, apparently a dressing room jester in his time with not an ounce of sense, hope the due diligence is done on the latest raft of bluffers let through the door

Look on the bright side, a year or 2 at Wembley while the stadium is being redeveloped will make it easier for supporters to get to games

From Ireland? Cheaper to fly to Liverpool and head up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea