Sam Maguire Group 2 - Galway, Armagh, Tyrone, Westmeath

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 23, 2023, 08:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Exactly. There's a voluntary twitter account was completely on top of it. All it took was some homework.

ClubScene13

Quote from: armaghniac on June 19, 2023, 03:47:08 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 19, 2023, 03:45:00 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 19, 2023, 03:21:18 PM
It's the same as last day in the league with relegation permutations - there is so much drama that you would think a broadcaster would thrive on and they just aren't geared for it at all.
It's a totally new system. Nobody knew what to expect.  I would give them a pass this time but expect better next year.

That's letting them off the hook. In each group there were a small number of permutations, get someone to tabulate those and than pass out the page to everyone.

I agree - Cork by 3 meaning Mayo are third took all of a minute to check the table and quickly realise. I watched the end of it fully aware that was the case and watched the O'Shea free thinking how can he not mention this. Commentary teams are notorious for doing their research before hand - just thought it was bizzare! Good weekend of football though, very enjoyable. Looking forward to the next 2 weekends.

Ethan Tremblay

Quote from: square_ball on June 19, 2023, 01:34:03 PM
Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on June 19, 2023, 01:17:02 PM
Tyrone - too unpredictable to cause any of the big teams any concern.  Similar to Armagh, just not consistent enough. 

Being unpredictable would surely mean the 'big' teams would be concerned about Tyrone. If you offered Jack O'Connor a semi final against Croke Park against either Tyrone or Armagh (or Derry for that matter) Tyrone would definitely not be his first choice.

I would have to disagree.  Everyone is waiting for the inner beast in Tyrone to come to the fore, but it just hasn't happened and I don't think it will this year. 

There was plenty of talk after the ulster championship defeat that they had a really good training block and would be primed for the AI series. 1 win, 1 draw and 1 defeat in their group, with (albeit a point) minus scoring difference will hardly be giving Jack OConnor sleepless nights. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

tonto1888

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 19, 2023, 03:49:26 PM
Exactly. There's a voluntary twitter account was completely on top of it. All it took was some homework.

The Tyrone official Twitter had WM winning the game

gallsman

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 19, 2023, 02:29:41 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 19, 2023, 02:12:42 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 19, 2023, 01:44:35 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 19, 2023, 01:32:08 PM
Lads trying to defend Forker here ffs. "He was clearly putting his hand on the ground". Catch yourselves on.

That's exactly what he was doing

Would you ever f**k away off for Christ's sake. He puts his hand on the ground, with a closed fist, with his arm fully extended, aye? To what end?

You've never fallen down in a tackle and put your hand out to support yourself I take it. I think it's you who needs to f**k away off kiddo

He was already on the f**king ground, what falling exactly was he doing?!

Absolutely blatant strike and then follow up attempt to strike. Trying to defend the indefensible.

Taylor

Great day of football - few thoughts:
We were not good and still arent firing on all cylilnders. We are wide open at the back and Westmeath were unfortunate not to take anything from the game
Canavan was excellent - if McCurry & him gel in a game we will outscore most teams
I am still uncertain about our management - we dont seem to be able to change anything during the game - if we win we win. If we are playing shit we will play shit until the end of the game
Armagh player punching a Kelly once he fell after the penalty incident has to be reviewed - if Cavan Joe had saw that he would have given a red
Armagh free was questionable at the end - no more than that as we have all seen them given
Galway free was a certainty after a brain fart by the Armagh defender but the whistle should have been blown before then

Last point - how did no one on the entire Mayo backroom team get a message to Aidan to kick the ball over the bar to guarantee second place? Do the players even know what the possible outcomes are? Madness and one which will probably put Mayo out of the race for Sam

bennydorano

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on June 19, 2023, 03:52:33 PM
Tyrone - too unpredictable to cause any of the big teams any concern.  Similar to Armagh, just not consistent enough. 

Being unpredictable would surely mean the 'big' teams would be concerned about Tyrone. If you offered Jack O'Connor a semi final against Croke Park against either Tyrone or Armagh (or Derry for that matter) Tyrone would definitely not be his first choice.

I would have to disagree.  Everyone is waiting for the inner beast in Tyrone to come to the fore, but it just hasn't happened and I don't think it will this year. 

There was plenty of talk after the ulster championship defeat that they had a really good training block and would be primed for the AI series. 1 win, 1 draw and 1 defeat in their group, with (albeit a point) minus scoring difference will hardly be giving Jack OConnor sleepless nights.
There's big game wins left in all of the last 12 teams, it's stringing 2 or 3 together that's going to make the difference. I don't see Armagh or Derry doing it tbh, I certainly don't see Tyrone doing it, they just look so off it. I'm losing faith in Galway and for all the novelty this year has brought so far it'll probably end up a Dublin v Kerry final.

seafoid

Quote from: bennydorano on June 19, 2023, 04:08:02 PM
Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on June 19, 2023, 03:52:33 PM

There's big game wins left in all of the last 12 teams, it's stringing 2 or 3 together that's going to make the difference. I don't see Armagh or Derry doing it tbh, I certainly don't see Tyrone doing it, they just look so off it. I'm losing faith in Galway and for all the novelty this year has brought so far it'll probably end up a Dublin v Kerry final.
All of the teams left are flawed: One of them has to fall over the line.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: gallsman on June 19, 2023, 04:01:44 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 19, 2023, 02:29:41 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 19, 2023, 02:12:42 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 19, 2023, 01:44:35 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 19, 2023, 01:32:08 PM
Lads trying to defend Forker here ffs. "He was clearly putting his hand on the ground". Catch yourselves on.

That's exactly what he was doing

Would you ever f**k away off for Christ's sake. He puts his hand on the ground, with a closed fist, with his arm fully extended, aye? To what end?

You've never fallen down in a tackle and put your hand out to support yourself I take it. I think it's you who needs to f**k away off kiddo

He was already on the f**king ground, what falling exactly was he doing?!

Absolutely blatant strike and then follow up attempt to strike. Trying to defend the indefensible.
The video is so clear and it's so obvious that I can't really understand why there's just not an acceptance of what happened, instead of people trying to somehow lie to themselves about it and convince themselves it was something else.
It won't effect the result yesterday at this stage and it won't make any difference to whether the GAA decide to pursue it or not for some retrospective action.

David McKeown

2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Fuzzman

Funny how things panned out yesterday.
With ten mins left Tyrone led by four and Armagh were going to finish third.
Had that stayed that way Armagh would be away to Donegal and Tyrone home to Mayo.
I have to hand it to Armagh they certainly provide a lot of entertainment and drama for everyone.
Yes they often break the rules but they have now drawn with Derry, beaten Galway, lost to Tyrone and will fancy their chances against any of the preliminary winners. Especially if they can't play Galway or Tyrone again.

JoG2

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 19, 2023, 12:45:31 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on June 19, 2023, 12:26:46 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 19, 2023, 12:17:54 PM
Quote from: 5times5times on June 19, 2023, 12:12:44 PM
Maybe Kelly's diving + cheating during league coming back to bite him? Esp the "incident" vs Monaghan

Ah sure then that's ok then :D

If the shoe was on the other foot, would Armagh ones have highlighted this or just said "ah, nothing in that, not conclusive, he deserved it for diving and cheating against Monaghan" ?

Just call it as it is and move on, there's no defending that action

Yep.
I believe the rule is striking or attempting to strike. At the very least, it looks like 2 attempts to strike.
Should be a straight red.

The first 'strike' occurred when he fell. Hard to avoid. The second 'strike' you can clearly see forker is putting his hand down. Kelly's reaction, or rather lack off, tells you all you need to know

Be interesting to see how Fork handles this  ???

seafoid

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 19, 2023, 05:46:21 PM
Funny how things panned out yesterday.
With ten mins left Tyrone led by four and Armagh were going to finish third.
Had that stayed that way Armagh would be away to Donegal and Tyrone home to Mayo.
I have to hand it to Armagh they certainly provide a lot of entertainment and drama for everyone.
Yes they often break the rules but they have now drawn with Derry, beaten Galway, lost to Tyrone and will fancy their chances against any of the preliminary winners. Especially if they can't play Galway or Tyrone again.
With 4 minutes left Mayo were in control.
Roscommon lost with the last kick. It was so unpredictable.

tbrick18

Quote from: Taylor on June 19, 2023, 04:06:48 PM
Great day of football - few thoughts:
We were not good and still arent firing on all cylilnders. We are wide open at the back and Westmeath were unfortunate not to take anything from the game
Canavan was excellent - if McCurry & him gel in a game we will outscore most teams
I am still uncertain about our management - we dont seem to be able to change anything during the game - if we win we win. If we are playing shit we will play shit until the end of the game
Armagh player punching a Kelly once he fell after the penalty incident has to be reviewed - if Cavan Joe had saw that he would have given a red
Armagh free was questionable at the end - no more than that as we have all seen them given
Galway free was a certainty after a brain fart by the Armagh defender but the whistle should have been blown before then

Last point - how did no one on the entire Mayo backroom team get a message to Aidan to kick the ball over the bar to guarantee second place? Do the players even know what the possible outcomes are? Madness and one which will probably put Mayo out of the race for Sam

It felt like the ref was trying to make up for what a mistake he thought he'd made previously. But yeah, a lot of extra time.

Canavan was excellent, and McCurry has had a good year. But they can only score if they get the service. Imo, Tyrone don't have the middle 8 to supply them with enough ball against the stronger opposition. I think any of Dublin/Derry/Kerry/Galway would have comfortably beat Westmeath.
I think Tyrone will come unstuck against the first serious opposition they come up against. Doesn't take away from Canavan and McCurry being in top form.