Mullagh vs Loughrea or Beagh

Matches to be played the weekend of Sunday the 11th October

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 28, 2009, 11:00:45 PM
Galway SHC Semi Final Draw

Portumna vs Gort
Mullagh vs Loughrea or Beagh

Matches to be played the weekend of Sunday the 11th October
A repeat of last years county final with Gort taking on Portumna.  Gort were more comprehensive winners than the scoreline suggests in their quarter final win over Mellows but they are still short of Port but will hopefully give them a good rattle. 

I expect Mullagh to come through from the other side of the draw.  They absolutelly steam-rolled Clarinbridge in the second half of their match at the weekend.  Also finished very strongly v Athenry the previous week so they seem to be a side in great shape.  They have a lot of lads in their ranks that have hurled for Galway at various levels over the past few years so its no real surprise to see them challenging at this stage of the championship.

GalwayBayBoy

Padraic Joyce is expected to miss most of Galway's 2010 National League campaign after undergoing surgery on an Achilles problem last week.

Joyce underwent the operation in the Santry Sports Clinic and won't be available to new Galway boss Joe Kernan for the start of next season. The long-serving attacker admitted that if his recovery isn't a success, he may call time on his 12-year inter-county career.

"I'm in a cast for the next four weeks and after that there could be a recuperation period of between four and five months," he told the Irish Independent.

"Any decision I'll make will be in the New Year but if I was going back, I don't think I'd see much action in the league because of the problem."

Joyce said the operation came out of necessity.

"There was a 25 per cent tear there. If I was to play league matches on it, I would have done more damage," he added.

Joe Kernan will take charge of the Tribesmen for the first time next week when they fly out to New York to play in the Exiles in the FBD Connacht League final. Then, on October 24, he will lead Ulster into battle against Leinster in the Inter-provincial football semi-final.

The Armagh man is due to complete his backroom team later this week.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway SFC final

Corofin 0-9 Mountbellew/Moylough 0-9

Galway SHC quarter-final replay

Loughrea 2-12 Beagh 1-14 (after extra time)

western exile

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 04, 2009, 07:14:35 PM
Galway SFC final

When is the replay?

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: western exile on October 05, 2009, 02:42:46 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 04, 2009, 07:14:35 PM
Galway SFC final

When is the replay?

The replay is set for October 18 at Tuam Stadium again.

mouview

A poor enough final not helped by an over-fussy ref. Corofin had more of the ball and were probably the better team but were let down by dreadful shooting; their old failing of having ordinary forwards wasn't helped by the half-time removal of the injured Alan O'Donovan. Flu-hit Kieran Comer missed a simple free with 3 mins left which would surely have sealed it. M'bellew's light forwards got little change out of a hardy Corofin defence and none scored from play over the hour so it's easy to see where improvement needs to come from. Big Joe hadn't his best game but his equaliser took fair courage.

The other Big Joe (Kernan) must now know what a task he has in front of him; only Alan Burke and possibly Greg Higgins looked above average yesterday and the co. c'ship continues to be distinctly ordinary. This plus the addition of 2 indifferent selectors makes me worry for Kernan's tenure, and it hasn't even started yet!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: mouview on October 05, 2009, 11:42:49 AM
A poor enough final not helped by an over-fussy ref. Corofin had more of the ball and were probably the better team but were let down by dreadful shooting

Corofin could have been out of sight by half-way through the first half. Think they hit 6 bad wides in the first 10 minutes alone. In fairness they were without Michael Comer and then Alan O'Donovan went off injured. Kieran Comer obviously suffering from flu as well. MM hung in there though. Thought Bergin was wasted at full-forward. He couldn't really get into the game and Fitzy had him well marshalled. Bergin was more influential when moved outfield. You can see why they want his physical presence up front though. Some of the MM forwards are very small. One of the corner-forwards looked like he was about 9 stone dripping wet. Poor little ladeen. You wouldn't see anyone new playing that would be of use to Kernan apart from the usual suspects. Greg Higgins did quite well alright.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway SHC semi-final

Portumna 4-14 Gort 6-5

sameoldstorey

sounds like a mighty game gbb.
when is the final

fearsiuil

Could one of you Galway lads tell me which club Kenny Naughton, who now plays with Ballyboden St Endas in Dublin, used to play with in Galway ? Played for Galway in the 2001 national league final against Mayo.

QuoteIn 2001 the Galway team in the FBD final was: Martin McNamara; Michael Comer, Jason Killeen, Micheal O'Collerain; Ray Silke, John Divilly, Sean de Paor (0-1); Sean O'Domhnaill, Michael Donnellan; Kenny Naughton, Shay Walsh (0-3) Lorcan O'Collerain, Derek Savage (1-2), Kieran Comer, John Donnellan (0-5). Subs: Padraig Lally for McNamara, Tommie Joyce for Divilly, Matthew Clancy for Naughton
http://www.galwayindependent.com/sport/sport/square-ball-%11-21st-january-2009/

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: fearsiuil on October 14, 2009, 12:47:32 AM
Could one of you Galway lads tell me which club Kenny Naughton, who now plays with Ballyboden St Endas in Dublin, used to play with in Galway ? Played for Galway in the 2001 national league final against Mayo.

QuoteIn 2001 the Galway team in the FBD final was: Martin McNamara; Michael Comer, Jason Killeen, Micheal O'Collerain; Ray Silke, John Divilly, Sean de Paor (0-1); Sean O'Domhnaill, Michael Donnellan; Kenny Naughton, Shay Walsh (0-3) Lorcan O'Collerain, Derek Savage (1-2), Kieran Comer, John Donnellan (0-5). Subs: Padraig Lally for McNamara, Tommie Joyce for Divilly, Matthew Clancy for Naughton
http://www.galwayindependent.com/sport/sport/square-ball-%11-21st-january-2009/
St Grellans (Ballinasloe)

GalwayBayBoy

Galway SHC semi-final

Loughrea 0-16 Mullagh 0-15

County final

Portumna v Loughrea

GalwayBayBoy

Galway SFC replay result

Corofin 0-11 Mountbellew/Moylough 1-5

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 18, 2009, 04:36:47 PM
Galway SHC semi-final

Loughrea 0-16 Mullagh 0-15

County final

Portumna v Loughrea
There will timber flying in that county final pairing!!