Galway club Football and Hurling thread

Started by GalwayBayBoy, June 20, 2007, 04:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Best of luck to both teams this weekend but my heart is with Cortoon.

Corofin will be back for plenty more finals. The Shamrocks may be not. Would be nice to see Savo win a county title.

MaroonAndWhite

Disappointing final today....maybe it was never going to be pretty with the amount of rain yesterday, a relatively heavy pitch and a local rivalry thrown in for good measure.

Corofin won without playing well.....story of their year so far some would say. As I suspected, the Cortoon backs played very well (a serious full back line) but their forwards could not make serious in-roads against the Corofin back six. You would have thought if Cortoon kept Corofin below the ten points they might be able to scrape it but it was not to be. They won a good bit of ball but once they got it Corofin did great job in crowding them out and Cortoon ran into alot of cul de sacs. Most importantly for Corofin, Mike Comer did a great job on Derek Savage and was named MOTM.

Confratulations to Trevor Burke in particular....medal no 9 today

On a sour note, it was dsappointing to see some of the players continually mouthin at the ref and questioning every decision....one team was particularly bad. Anyone that was there will know which team that was.

Good luck to Corofin in Connacht but they will need a big improvement to have an impact

western exile

MaroonAndWhite has summed up the game very well.  A very poor standard of football for a county final. And I don't think the weather can be blamed as it was the warmest and calmest October afternoon in living memory.  After we left Pearce Stadium we went to the Sportsgrounds where Connacht beat Leinster in the Celtic League. I never thought I would see the day where a rugby game was more entertaining than a Gaelic Football game, but that was the case today  ???

GalwayBayBoy

Yeah a pretty poor county final alright on a perfect day for football.

MaroonAndWhite

Galway GAA All-Stars are nominated on-line on www.galwaygaa.ie and theres an opportunity to vote on the team for anyone interested

Red Hurley

Any result from Portumna and Liam Mellows today ?

Owenmoresider

Portumna won, don't know the score.

St. Michael's won the Intermediate football final by a point.

Red Hurley

mouview

Portumna won rather handily; Mellows started brightly but had three wides in a row. In their first attack Port' opened up the Mellows defence and scored a goal. Even at this stage it was pretty much gameover. Both Damien Hayes and JC were supposedly carrying knocks coming into the game but the former had a very good first half while the latter , even though like his teammates playing in third gear, was, well, Joe Cooney++. Port' are arguably stronger than ever this year and it will take a monumental effort from Gort (hopefully) or Loughrea to stop them; that semi' is next Sunday.

The real fireworks may come tonight when Gerlock will find out his fate. It wasn't looking too good for him over the last few weeks but according to McIntyre in the Tribune, he has made a comeback in recent days. Interesting times immediately ahead I'd say.

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: mouview on October 13, 2008, 11:52:04 AM
Portumna won rather handily; Mellows started brightly but had three wides in a row. In their first attack Port' opened up the Mellows defence and scored a goal. Even at this stage it was pretty much gameover. Both Damien Hayes and JC were supposedly carrying knocks coming into the game but the former had a very good first half while the latter , even though like his teammates playing in third gear, was, well, Joe Cooney++. Port' are arguably stronger than ever this year and it will take a monumental effort from Gort (hopefully) or Loughrea to stop them; that semi' is next Sunday.

The real fireworks may come tonight when Gerlock will find out his fate. It wasn't looking too good for him over the last few weeks but according to McIntyre in the Tribune, he has made a comeback in recent days. Interesting times immediately ahead I'd say.

Who would be more likely to get the job if Gerlock falls? Heverin or Bond? Id imagine Heverin given Portumna's achievements in the last few years and Bonds inter-county inactivity since the late 90's. Or will Cooney, Coleman & Mahon swing it for Bond?

MaroonAndWhite

Claregalway Hotel Galway Senior Football Championship Dream Team: Phillip Skelly (Caherlistrane); Kieran McGrath (Corofin), David Finnegan (Cortoon), Brian Roche (Cortoon); Michael Comer (Corofin),  Damien Burke (Corofin), Stephen Drake (NUIG); Greg Higgins (Corofin), Gareth Bradshaw (Moycullen); Derek Savage (Cortoon), Cormac Bane (Caherlistrane), Alan Burke (Corofin); Eric Monahan (Caherlistrane), Michael Martyn (Cortoon), Alan O'Donovan (Corofin).

Claregalway Hotel Galway Intermediate Football Championship Dream Team: Barry Conneely (Glenamaddy); Aidan Potter (Glenamaddy), Alan Glynn (St Michael's), Damian O'Reilly (Oughterard); Niall Coyne (Carna/Caiseal), Peter Ruane (St Michael's), Kevin Brady (Kilconly); Eddie Hoare (St Michael's), Aidan Geraghty  (Glenamaddy); Paul Conroy (St James'), Greg Rogan (St Michael's), Frank Daly (St Michael's); Michael Molloy (Glenamaddy), Shay Walsh (Glenamaddy), Martin Coady (Oughterard).

MaroonAndWhite

Christ lads.....bad form that theres no post on here for three months but the hibernation is over and my Sundays are back to normal now  ;D.

Decent start against Sligo last Sat night I believe, especially given the understrength team (defence aside) we had available. On a positive note, plenty of young lads on display (a large no of the AI winning minor team involved in the panel). Jonathan Ryan played very well apparently (0-4), with Damien O'Reilly and Joe Joe Greaney making their senior bow. Anyone know anything of Martin Coady....wouldnt have encountered him....Ballygar is he?? Also, on GalwayGaa.com, a chap by the name of Colman Hands was listed.....again, anyone know the lad?? Even if these lads dont see the light of day later in the summer, it will do them good going forward.

Galway -- P Doherty; D Finnegan, F Hanley, D Meehan; N Coyne, D Blake, D Mullahy; G O'Donnell, T Hughes; M Lydon, J Bergin, C Bane; J Ryan, N Joyce, M Coady. Subs: JJ Greaney for Hughes (36), D O'Reilly for Mullahy (yellow card, 44).

Onwards to this Sunday anyway......v Leitrim in Ballinasloe a 2pm. Cant say im delighted by the choice of pitch.....Ballinasloe's a hole.

mouview

Hands is from Oranmore, Coady Oughterard AFAIK. As you say, good to see some new players being drafted in. At the risk of being churlish though, neither Ryan in '07 or Greaney last year impressed me awfully, I hope Sammon isn't going to keep picking favourites (a-la Breathnach) rather than players of ability. On the credit side, Joe Bergin showed up fairly well apparently as did the boy Nicky. Paul Conroy also had a good outing for GMIT on Sunday (though Michael Martin did not). The former, probably with Joe, should now be first choice for midfield this year.

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: mouview on January 07, 2009, 10:25:31 PM
Hands is from Oranmore, Coady Oughterard AFAIK. As you say, good to see some new players being drafted in. At the risk of being churlish though, neither Ryan in '07 or Greaney last year impressed me awfully, I hope Sammon isn't going to keep picking favourites (a-la Breathnach) rather than players of ability. On the credit side, Joe Bergin showed up fairly well apparently as did the boy Nicky. Paul Conroy also had a good outing for GMIT on Sunday (though Michael Martin did not). The former, probably with Joe, should now be first choice for midfield this year.

That would explain it....not too familiar with the intermediate grade. Coady popped over 2 pts as well.

Ryan struck me as a lad that wasn't particularly confident in his minor years so a few games in a senior shirt will surely help him in that regard as will a debut where he scored 4 pts. Hes a nice tidy ball player. Greaney can be hit and miss but again hes only young and the confidence he will get from playing in the company of some ofthe more senior players will no doubt help him....plus he has a bit of height which would be beneficial around half forward line. As I said, its getting the some exposure which cant be a bad thing.

Bradshaw apparently had a blinder for the College v Mayo on Sunday at midfied. Mayo lads saying he ruled the roost although not against a first string Mayo midfield......would he be a realisic option to partner Joe in the middle yet? Id prefer to keep Conroy wing forward for another year or two if we could

mouview

Bradshaw at midfield an option perhaps - more likely at wing-back 'd say. Don't think we can afford not to have Conroy at midfield now - better option by far than Coleman or Big Barry.