Galway club Football and Hurling thread

Started by GalwayBayBoy, June 20, 2007, 04:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Agree with you DE, Killererin I thought were bound to be in trouble sometime this year. For all their great abilities to play as a team, scoring isn't their strong point, and with Nicky absent and PJ well marked (and rather lucky perhaps not to see red) this game against a strong Cortoon team was a real banana skin. The latter are useful and with Savo (in good form) and Michael Martin in the forwards are bound to be troublesome for any team remaining. Will Jonathans appearance get him into trouble with Galway Utd.? Not a good evening for the Bomb (who should possibly have been no. 6) as Monivea were beaten by Salthill in the opener.

Elsewhere, Moycullen had a good win over declining Caltra but lost Paul Clancy to a straight red who will be missing the next day v Mountbellew. They may still have enough in hand to pull through. In the other outstanding fixtures Carraroe should overcome Claregalway in the replay, favourites Corofin shuold beat Tuam and good outside bet Caherlistrane should beat St. Brendans. If the draw keeps them apart I reckon it will be a Corofin / Caherlistrane final.

Galforever

QuoteIf the draw keeps them apart I reckon it will be a Corofin / Caherlistrane final.

Caherlistrane are a decent outside bet but really its hard to look beyond Corofin/Salthill & even NUIG. I feel we may have the whole NUIG thing from last year again. They have some good quality players there and will be hard beat.

Sligoper

Quote from: Galforever on July 22, 2008, 12:47:54 PM
QuoteIf the draw keeps them apart I reckon it will be a Corofin / Caherlistrane final.

Caherlistrane are a decent outside bet but really its hard to look beyond Corofin/Salthill & even NUIG. I feel we may have the whole NUIG thing from last year again. They have some good quality players there and will be hard beat.

I heard about this NUIG crack last year and to be honest i think the championship lost its credibility. Ive started to take an interest in the Galway championship as there 4 sligo lads starting the last day. The team the last day was a strong one and they were missing a few. Now either treat the team fair or don't let them play. Simple. Its not fair on anyone what happened last year.
Go on the Bunnies!

robertemmet

Do you know any good GAA/Sports bars in Salthill I could watch the GAA at the weekend?  Will they show the Qualifiers on Saturday and Ulster Final Replay on Sunday?

Galforever

Galway Football Championship DrawsSenior Quarter Finals

Salthill-Knocknacarra    v          Cortoon Shamrocks
St Brendans or Caherlistrane V Claregalway or An Chreathru Rua
NUIG   V Milltown
Tuam Stars or Corofin V Moycullen or Mountbellew-Moylough
=============================================
Intermediate Quarter Finals

Carna Caiseal v Oughterard or Oranmore Maree
Leitir Mor V St Michaels
Clonbur v Glenamaddy
Dunmore McHales v Kilconly
=============================================

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: robertemmet on July 24, 2008, 12:27:19 PM
Do you know any good GAA/Sports bars in Salthill I could watch the GAA at the weekend?  Will they show the Qualifiers on Saturday and Ulster Final Replay on Sunday?
Killorans will probably show both and there would normally be a few in there watching GAA matches anyway.  A lot of the other places may have the games on but you will be doing well to hear any commentary above the cackle of disinterested tourists.

Duine Eile

NUIG shouldn't be in the club championship, simple as that. They play as a club in the championship and as a county team in the FBD league, it's a ridiculous situation.

Sligoper

The situation regarding NUIG is so wrong and they now look like contenders for the championship. BUT THEY SHOULD BE TREATED FAIRLY. If the county board dont like them in the competition then dont let them in, simple as. But if they are in it, let them be treated fairly.
Go on the Bunnies!

Galforever

QuoteThe situation regarding NUIG is so wrong and they now look like contenders for the championship. BUT THEY SHOULD BE TREATED FAIRLY. If the county board dont like them in the competition then dont let them in, simple as. But if they are in it, let them be treated fairly.

Exactly. When they get to a semi-final is not the time to start whinging about it & to screw them over.

Sligoper

Quote from: Galforever on July 28, 2008, 02:18:33 PM
QuoteThe situation regarding NUIG is so wrong and they now look like contenders for the championship. BUT THEY SHOULD BE TREATED FAIRLY. If the county board dont like them in the competition then dont let them in, simple as. But if they are in it, let them be treated fairly.

Exactly. When they get to a semi-final is not the time to start whinging about it & to screw them over.

Well said. To be honest i think if they end up winning it then i could see them being kicked out. As daft as it sounds i think it could happen. By rights they have the quality to win connacht but i've a feeling, starting with the Milltown game, that things will start to go against them.
Go on the Bunnies!

Galforever

QuoteWell said. To be honest i think if they end up winning it then i could see them being kicked out. As daft as it sounds i think it could happen. By rights they have the quality to win connacht but i've a feeling, starting with the Milltown game, that things will start to go against them.

I think that they cannot go on to represent the county if they win it. Heard this last year. That it is similar to Kerry where the divisonal teams dont represent Kerry. For example, A Kilererin - NUIG county final. Kilererin would reprosent Galway even if they lost.

GalwayBayBoy

Anyone got the results from the weekend?

Galforever

QuoteAnyone got the results from the weekend?

From Galwaygaa.ie:

Moycullen  2-10 1-9 Mountbellew/Moylough 
Tuam Stars  0-8 2-12 Corofin 
St Brendans  0-8 1-14 Caherlistrane 
Claregalway  2-12 2-12 An Cheathru Rua 

Sligoper

Predictions?

Has anyone the semi-final draw?
Go on the Bunnies!

MaroonAndWhite

Quarter Final Results
Corofin 0-13 Moycullen 0-6
Caherlistrane 2-7 Carraroe 0-7
Milltown 0-11 NUIG 0-16
Cortoon Shamrocks 0-8 Salthill Knocknacarra 0-7

Semi finals are Corofin -v- Caherlistrane & Cortoon -v- NUIG.
Most likely a double-header in Tuam next weekend.

Two poor games in the stadium this evening. The strong wind into the railway goal didnt help but Cortoon wont care. Fair play to them, delighted they took another big scalp.